Little Wings in NZ

aviatakl

Total Flight Time
50 F/W 30 Rotary
Well, yesterday, Wednesday down here, I had a great meeting with a fellow gyro-naught Barry, who just happens to live in Auckland.
Barry is also in the stages of getting his gear together to build a two place LW like myself. The discussion was very animated and provided us both with a renewed resolve to get these gyro's built.
Barry also had some very good contacts with regard to rotor blades and a local supplier of 4130N tube for the airframe.
Rotor heads came up, and I showed Barry a bearing and my machine shop etc, and how I intend to build my rotor head.
I also brought the subject of wooden rotor blades, and a long time friend, Ted, who was also here for a coffee at the time, offered me his profile router set up for experiment work on weather we could profile cut the airfoil section. Ted also owns a massive shed just south of Auckland that is dormant and this was offered as a place to build our airframes etc. So, look forward to a build string here very soon.

Definately keep us updated. I am looking at buying a set of plans soon, so it will be good to see a build thread.

Hello Jim,

Yes, keep us all updated on you and your friend's progress, along with pictures.

What engine are you planning on using?

By the way, NZ is a beautiful country and you Kiwis are great people.

Is Shakespeare Micro Brewery still operating? I still have my certificate and ball cap after drinking all 6 different pints of ales in less than one hour!

Thanks,

Wayne

There is another Littlewing nearly completed here in OZ, 90% done 90% to go !

cmon Muz......

Attachments

• Little Wings in NZ
    SJ (18).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Little Wings in NZ
    Little Wing 018-1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 6
SUUUUUPER SSSHARP

tONY

Don't it though, give him about 6 more month and he will be flyin' singing YO' SOOO FINE

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Jim
I am also collecting parts, but for a build of a single place centre line thrust machine.
I have built quite a few components already and have it on three wheels so thats a start.
I am a bit snowed under with other projects at the moment so will hopefully get it sorted this winter.
I would like to catch up at some stage and swap ideas.

Hi Wayne, Yes that "Shakespeare" mico brewary is still going, best you come back and try some more of their offerings!!

Great looking LW in Aussie!

Tubing supplier has held his prices

Tubing supplier has held his prices

Well team, I received an email today confirming that the order for the 4130N I had quoted 1 year ago has been reconfirmed at $1.65 more!!!!!

Well, as soon as I know the outcome of a Medical on Monday, I will be placing the order and having the tube bundle delivered. YES a new build!! can't wait.

I intend to put every move and section of the build up here in the builders section, just like Lord Gabadore, but I doubt that I will have the flare and 'unique en son genre' but I will try.

Looking GOOD!!!

Dr. Bruce Charnov is having one built by Ron. I cannot wait until Bruce brings it to San Diego!!

Way to build, please keep us posted...

PS:
We love build threads here!!!!! Hint, hint!

Last edited:
I also brought the subject of wooden rotor blades, and a long time friend
I take great interest in wooden blades (which have been discussed extensively in other threads), could you please outline a bit further how you want to build them (profile, dimensions, lay up,....)?

Last edited:
Hello! I am following the tractor movement too!! I have a question: I know designers don´t like modifications... but... wouldn´t it be quite easy to transform the Little Wing tandem two seat, in a side by side seat? With a few modifications in the cabin sections?

...transform the Little Wing tandem ..... with a few modifications...
Quite a few, you have to keep the center of gravity near to where it was and even then the aircraft would have very different characteristics since your wider cabin has a higher flat plate area and different aerodynamic parameters. What would remain from the original design is the tailwheel, the fire bulkhead and the rotor .....;-)

Hello! I am following the tractor movement too!! I have a question: I know designers don´t like modifications... but... wouldn´t it be quite easy to transform the Little Wing tandem two seat, in a side by side seat? With a few modifications in the cabin sections?

Actually someone was working on one although I haven't heard anything about it in a few years. Widening a short tandem fuselage into a side by side can have some undesirable effects, flow separation for one.

Attachments

• Little Wings in NZ
    200612920199_Seat%2029%20Jan%20010.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Little Wings in NZ
    2005102014953_gyro2%20073.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Little Wings in NZ
    2006129202017_Seat%2029%20Jan%20003.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Little Wings in NZ
    20051020141053_gyro2%20104.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Little Wings in NZ
    20051020141448_gyro2%20071.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
hi Alan

"flow separation" good point, belive I would want to go with a wide HS and twin rudders.

Tony

:phone:I just called a Magni dealer in Portugal... a M16 would cost around 70 000 euros (90 000 dollars)(registration and vat included) :Cry:

so, please, could somebody give an estimate cost for building a LM5 ?
(I know cost calculations can vary a lot for home made machines)
What about the Subaru engine? How cheaper is it than rotax?
The LittleWing designer did not recommend Subaru in an interview, regarding performance... but that great Gyrhino jumping gyro uses Subaru!! Please, help!