Video From Wrens 2012

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Gerald Keasler always does a great job recording videos of our Chapter 56 events. He flew over to Wrens with me this year and sent this compilation video of all the footage he shot.

There is no footage of Barry's WindRyder flying, as we arrived after the issue with the pre-rotator. However, there are some shots of the efforts made to try to get the rotors up.

This is a fairly long video (17:24), so bandwidth-challenged beware. This is video from Saturday, October 6.

Wrens Georgia fly in 2012, Airplane and Gyroplane event. - YouTube

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of the Ross planetary redrive on a subaru motor over another redrive like a belt driven redrive or a gear reduction redrive? The Ross planetary redrive is at around 2:40 on the Wrens video.

Hi Gerald

A planetary re-drive can be a good re-drive or have problems, I would suggest you get the book on the rotary engine by Tracy Crook, and read his work with the Ross Re-drive and how he eventually did some re-design work that corrected the problems and now probably has one of the best planetary re-drives going. I am presently using a "spur gear" re-drive from Autoflight out of New Zeland, I built a belt re-drive once but am not a fan of the built re-drive, they are a long long way from being simple .

Tony

PS the planetary re-drive does not produce radial loads on the crankshaft main bearings.

Thank you for taking the time to upload this video. I love the slomo!!!!!!!!! Too bad we didn't get to see Barry's beauty to fly. Maybe at the next fly in :)

The belt redrives on a Subaru seem to be working fine from what I can tell. With the exception of the belt redrives that do not have a tension support (of some kind) for the crank shaft. Jon could elaborate on that problem. I just like the idea of gear driven. Like a drive shaft on a motorcycle in place of a belt or chain. However Harley has belt drive.
Speaking of Harley, wonder if a V-twin would work on a gyro? That would be cool.

Most motorcycle engines tend to be light on the horsepower and heavy on the "heavy," making them a weak choice for gyro use.

Nice video, I love to see the gyro in slow-mo, you guy's have to much fun and free time you know!Am I the only one that dont have time to have fun and go flying? gezzzz.

Billy, I know what you mean about the free time. Most of the stuff that you think has to be
done right now will still be there tomorrow. I had to put stuff off to go to Wrens. Life is short. Pretty soon you look back and all you have done is work, and most of it didn't make a
big difference in the big picture. Live a little along the way!