the risk we take every day.

turbo

stuart fl/ s windsor ct/ virgin gorda bvi
Aircraft
r-44, rv-6, helicycle
Total Flight Time
6,000+
luckily we were over the lake the whole flight. on base the engine quit. fuel selector got moved to left tank somehow and ran empty. :whoo:

Last edited:
Very glad it was safe landing for you.

Loved the language, with a woman present no less, things have sure changed :(

Obviously no downwind pre landing checks for that pilot!!!!!!

Aussie Paul. :)

Last edited:
I may be missing something. If the plane is on floats and he lost his engine over a giant body of water ... what exactly was the big risk?

I do NOT mean to be confrontational. But was there more of a challenge than meets the eye?

I may be missing something. If the plane is on floats and he lost his engine over a giant body of water ... what exactly was the big risk?

I do NOT mean to be confrontational. But was there more of a challenge than meets the eye?

you are correct, as it turned out it was no big deal. the pilot was just over doing it.

Remind me never to fly with that guy.
On second thought, I won't need reminding.

Ed, buddy, my friend, I’d rater you fly… Glad he was landing over water so it was a non event!

When you have to tell your passengers you had an engine out landing it just doesn’t seem as risky not like being over trees.

There is a great deal we can learn from this pilot’s many mistakes… form blaming his wife for her backseat belt moving the lever and being the cause; when actually it’s the pilot’s responsibility to check which tank you’re on right before takeoff.

To not hearing or him doing emergency procedures ‘Trim for best glide, gear up floats down, mixture rich, fuel on best tank, fuel pump on, carburetor heat on and restart engine…” But there was little time as he was on a low base leg over water.

Practice engine outs until this is just automatic and use a check list to catch the fuel lever!!!

He wouldn't have need the emergency checklist if he had done a pre-landing checklist. All it takes is the first item in GUMP to avoid this whole issue. Skip it as this guy did, and you look like about as smart as Forrest GUMP.

He wouldn't have need the emergency checklist if he had done a pre-landing checklist. All it takes is the first item in GUMP to avoid this whole issue. Skip it as this guy did, and you look like about as smart as Forrest GUMP.
Thanks for pointing that out that's why I said use check lists, should have been more specific.
Once the fuel level mistake was made and he heard the fuel pump the emergency procedures should have kicked in automatically.