Edge Performance Engines and Engine Kits

RogerB

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
PAP Tinox 185 140 prop Paramotor and working on Gyro PPL
Total Flight Time
1500+ Paragliding, 200+ Paramotor, 25+ Sailplanes, Cessna 172 12+
Has anyone used Edge Performance products or engines on their gyros?

Could save a bunch of money getting some of their upgrades for a 912 and get the same or better performance as a 915 without the hefty price tag… one of the main selling points. There’s a big difference between an m16 with a 912 vs 915🤔

I searched the forum and haven’t seen a thread on Edge performance.
I am very far from a mechanic or an engineer but, from what I read, they’re a smaller company that is made in Norway distributed in North America by Badass power sports in Alberta, the STOL crowd use these mods a lot.

They boast some impressive performance numbers but I wonder about how they affect engine life and reliability?

https://shop.edgeperformance.no/butikk/edgeperformance-produkter
https://badasspowersports.com/badass-shop/
https://www.edgeperformance.no/faq

Their 912 fuel injected making over 150 horses if you go all the way modded with a complete engine as opposed to just an EFI or turbo kit from them:
We now offer the proven 154HP/182NM EP912STi engine including a crate new Rotax 912ULS core engine. Please call for current pricing. This is approximately the same cost as a Rotax 914 with only 115HP. The advantages are obvious. But some of them are modern fuel injection, less maintenance, no icing/vapor lock and lighter than a 914. Better fuel economy is also an advantage from the EFI. Turbo charging gives better take-off power and high altitude performance. The engine builds on the same dimensions as the 914, but without the large 914 airbox.

The Edge Performance Turbo motor is also significantly lighter than the new rotax 915. Our motor produces more power and is user tunable than the new 915! We can do custom builds for your specific application like high altitude work in UAVS or detune our motor to a lower power level from 115-160 hp if that's al‎l you need.

These engines are rapidly racking up flight time and proven dyno hours. New advancements like ecu wastgate control with safe guards that lower boost if preset warnings are encountered like high water temp,intake air temp,lean wide band AFR and other programmable safeguards.

Over 200 of these motors sold worldwide!​

This it not an OEM Rotax kit and it will void the engine warranty! Contact us for further details.

As of today Rotax does not deliver an affordable engine with fuel injection,turbo and this much power. We have done something about! Here we combine the best of two worlds. The result is a beast of an engine. Our experience with this conversion is incredibly positive. We make such a conversion based on a standard Rotax 912ULS 100 HP.
Fitted to these aircrafts and more: VL3 Evolution, WT-9 Dynamic, Shark, Sonex, Double Ender, Kitfox, Rans S6, C-II, Trixy Aviation Gyro, Xenon Gyro, ELA Gyro and more.
We perform the following to your engine:

• Welded crankshaft
  • Balancing of crankshaft
  • Install EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection)
  • Install forged EP pistons with 8.5:1 CR with ceramic and teflon coating
  • Modify the gearbox for increased power and torque
  • Install our ECU operated boost controller
  • Install modified 914 exhaust and muffler to our spec
  • Install EP Turbo camshaft
This it not an OEM Rotax kit and it will void the engine warranty!
Used by Trixy Aviation, Shark Aero, Rotax Force, BadAss Bush Craft and many others.

• Lower fuel consumption
  • No vapor lock
  • No carb icing
  • No “carb-sync”
  • Save 1-3Kg over stock configuration
  • Smoother running and far less vibration
  • Increase in power
  • Lower idle for shorter landings
  • Will start even in -35° just like a modern car due to high-pressure fuel injectors

Last edited:
Greg Spacola has one on his American Ranger. I’m not sure of the HP but that thing climbs better than any Rotax powered machine I have ever seen. It’s on YouTube.

Greg Spacola has one on his American Ranger. I’m not sure of the HP but that thing climbs better than any Rotax powered machine I have ever seen. It’s on YouTube.
This one?

I have converted both my 912 ULS engines to the Edge Performance EFI. Approximately 75 hours since the conversion and performance has been flawless so far.
Takeaways: No more PITA carburettors to deal with.
Easy starting under all conditions.
Approximately 25% improvement in fuel consumption at cruise (at least)
Much smoother running especially at low revs.
Approximately 5lb reduction in weight per engine.
Dyno testing by Edge demonstrates 108 HP
The orange color matches the paint on my Aircam :)

Last edited:
Lets just see how many of his engines repeatedly make even close to 2000 hrs without too much trouble.

I don't like to bring down someones company in a public forum but i will share my bad experience.
On a 914 I ordered one of his turbo's, not to have any gain in hp but rather just to have a pneumatic controlled turbo instead of the standard electric controlled waste gate as standard rotax.

After fitting I couldnt stop a nagging oil leak from the turbo and went through all the usual stuff like the check valve on top of the turbo.
This was an edge product to suit the garret turbo, while trying to sort that i found the way it was with the check ball it couldn't possiblly open far enough to get a good supply of oil through (unlike the rotax one).

That wasn't causing my oil leak it was his custom supplied sump under the turbo. Once i pulled the sump to start looking I could see the way it was manufactured (welded) The way he had welded the top flange on there was no way it could possibly seal the flange to the sump (hard to explain). So I emailed him and told him what was happening he said he has changed the design and he would send me one. The new one was fitted but this still wasn't the real problem, After much head scratching and investigating i did some measuring and found his sump (the new design but same size) only had (because of the shape) 60% volume capacity of the rotax, so the oil in the turbo after shut down was filling the sump and then filling the turbo.
I emailed him again to tell him, but I just wanted it fixed so I cut the sump apart to box it out on the sides and on one end to increase capacity to slightly bigger than Rotax original. In the procsess of cutting it open I could see the suction tube was almost bottomed out on the bottom of the sump so to heavily restrict oil flow to the scavenge pump.

Anyway after all that I got it sorted, but aviation is not the place to use your customers for your own education and R and D.
About 6 months later he sent me a bill for unpaid new sump, I told him the whole story of what I had to do to make it work and still havn't paid for sump.

wolfy

Lets just see how many of his engines repeatedly make even close to 2000 hrs without too much trouble.
Anyway after all that I got it sorted, but aviation is not the place to use your customers for your own education and R and D.
About 6 months later he sent me a bill for unpaid new sump, I told him the whole story of what I had to do to make it work and still havn't paid for sump.

wolfy
I agree with you, but unfortunately this is the nature of the experimental world. Every time we use a non-certified product we are effectively part of the R&D guinea pig machine. Having said that, Rotax themselves continue to have ongoing changes, issues etc even with their certified engines. (As do other companies, not just Rotax) I was a Rotax guinea pig with their carburetors till I made the change. I also understand that with my Edge EFI I gave up some redundancy that exists in the 912Is for some of the other advantages of Edge like price, complexity and weight. Even with Edge, they have recommended removal of the brass filter in their fuel pump assembly, and no longer ship it in their kits, clearly they were having trouble with it.
As for the 2000 hours, there is no logical explanation for why this should change for me. Any problems I have, if I have them, will likely be from the EFI system itself. As for the mods significantly increasing horsepower, it's interesting to see how Rotax themselves are following some in the experimental world, like the large bore mods etc, but of course with a massively inflated price.
I guess that's why it's called Experimental. I was a huge experiment for Clamar floats as well, but that's another story, and every time I get an advisory of a change from Lockwood on the Aircam I'm reminded that my aircraft is experimental. I think my main beef with the companies is often their failure to advise of problems and recommended changes and one has to find out for oneself through the grapevine and forums that we are not the only one with a problem.

Last edited:
Has anyone here used the Zipper kit from Zipper Big Bore in Nevada?

Jim

Loftus, mostly I agree with you.
But you can bet that rotax have done a whole heap of testing on there mods (like big bore for example) to at least iron out most of the bugs before there customers find the shortcomings.
There 9 series engines are pretty dam reliable.

wolfy

So I talked to the dealers in North America about these kits and also spoke to Greg on the phone yesterday.
For the 912 you could go Big Bore, EFI as bolt ons , the turbo takes some work to add it but can get up to 155hp but they have tuned them up as high as approaching 200hp, so 155hp max and 130 max continuous takes 4 weeks if they're installing it, can also be bought as a in the crate built engine.
For the 914 you could do the EFI with a recommended new intercooler + big bore kit and get up to 140hp max

Greg, awesome guy and is always flying :) has his 912STI and seems thrilled with it, no issues and has flown it extensively and across a lot of distance says he gets 2000fpm and 1200-1400 with pax... awesome :cool:

At the moment based on prices (not going to list them here out of respect for the dealers) I heard what seems to make the most sense is to either buy a gyro with a 914 new or used, get an EFI (hate the idea of carbs, carb icing, vapor lock etc...) and either grow into it and eventually upgrade to a big bore kit OR just get a 915 out the get already factory installed ... getting a 912STI as they call it at 155hp vs a 915 stock seems a bit close though you could tune the 912STI for more power and it is 12-15lbs lighter doesn't seem worth it to me.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone used Edge Performance products or engines on their gyros?

Could save a bunch of money getting some of their upgrades for a 912 and get the same or better performance as a 915 without the hefty price tag… one of the main selling points. There’s a big difference between an m16 with a 912 vs 915🤔

I searched the forum and haven’t seen a thread on Edge performance.
I am very far from a mechanic or an engineer but, from what I read, they’re a smaller company that is made in Norway distributed in North America by Badass power sports in Alberta, the STOL crowd use these mods a lot.

They boast some impressive performance numbers but I wonder about how they affect engine life and reliability?

https://shop.edgeperformance.no/butikk/edgeperformance-produkter
https://badasspowersports.com/badass-shop/
https://www.edgeperformance.no/faq

Their 912 fuel injected making over 150 horses if you go all the way modded with a complete engine as opposed to just an EFI or turbo kit from them:

There are 2 AR-1s with Edge Performance 155 HP engines. At the end of the day installed to installed they are about the same price point to me as a 915iS so practically very little price difference. Computer is not redundant like iS series, each fuel pump takes 8 to 10 amps so you cannot run both fuel pumps at the same time, it is a custom installation and every 500 hours you are supposed to take it apart and check and go another 500 hours. Not something I can offer with confidence to an end user. Parts take weeks and months to get here but maybe that has changed (this was during Covid). The bottom line is if you are an enthusiast and a motorhead, it is a motor you can probably own and experience. If you are just looking to fly probably not the right ownership experience for you. Even in Colorado, 915iS on AR-1 is doing well.

Edge Performance does indeed produce more HP though and is lighter than say 915iS.

Last edited:
There are 2 AR-1s with Edge Performance 155 HP engines. At the end of the day installed to installed they are about the same price point to me as a 915iS so practically very little price difference. Computer is not redundant like iS series, each fuel pump takes 8 to 10 amps so you cannot run both fuel pumps at the same time, it is a custom installation and every 500 hours you are supposed to take it apart and check and go another 500 hours. Not something I can offer with confidence to an end user. Parts takes weeks and months to get here but maybe that has changed (this was during Covid). The bottom line is if you are an enthusiast and a motorhead, it is a motor you can probably own and experience. If you are just looking to fly probably not the right ownership experience for you. Even in Colorado, 915iS on AR-1 is doing decently.

Edge Performance does indeed produce more HP though and is lighter than say 915iS.
Thank you for the full perspective reply Abid , appreciate it🙂👍

2 years ago I had my local (4 miles to my south) Edge performance expert ...Michael Busenitz @ STOL Creek (It's now shown on the sectional) install Edge EFI kit and intercooler on my TAG gyro 914 ! Boosted the HP from 80 cruise/115 for 5 mins full turbo to 115 cruise/127ish full turbo-5 minutes. Did not do the bigger piston version as this seemed plenty of power to me at my elevation!

After a very nerve-wracking X-C trip on an ailing battery I did add on the extra Edge auxiliary alternator last year ...so the engine / pumps would not quit - in the event of a failed battery!

For the 914 upgrade - I like it for all the reasons Loftus listed. I have flown with Greg Spicola in his AR1 154HP souped up beast - it's AMAZING ...silly power!

Carbs gone & all the associated hassles.... rotax airbox sensors gone - I was having plenty of troubles with these!
For my 914 powered machine - I like the Edge EFI conversion - very much! AND I'm very close to the premier Edge sales & service guy in USA !

However ...my "for sale - inventory" TAG the white 912 has been my favorite machine to fly in the last 10 months since I picked it up from an over winter visit at Blum TX at Craig Mcpherson's .... where he did the Aussie StevePaulet conversion kit to boost the stock 100 HP to 140HP - without all the electronic complexity of the 915iS. Still Carbed, has dual electric pumps , the Garett turbo (manual adjustment), ceramic coated pistons, intercooler!

Craig McP. & Tim Weiland have now done about 5 of the SP 912 kits and all seem to be doing well to date as are all the many flying in Australia - for over 7 years!

For some reason the Edge stuff in Australia has had issues ..Neil wants nothing to do with their stuff - after installing one on Danny Kelly's "Blue Cow" Amphib gyro! - a real PITA!

I think Edge products depends a lot on WHO you deal with & I have only heard great things about Michael's Edge conversions done @STOL Creek Aviation!

I think Edge products depends a lot on WHO you deal with & I have only heard great things about Michael's Edge conversions done @STOL Creek Aviation!
I bought my kit from Michael as well. He was always been very responsive and helpful throughout the build and since. I have also found Edge performance to be always very responsive, The owner Thomas Haulklein himself responds very promptly to emails etc despite the time zone difference. I also follow their page on Facebook and Thomas also responds promptly to questions there as well.

There are 2 AR-1s with Edge Performance 155 HP engines. At the end of the day installed to installed they are about the same price point to me as a 915iS so practically very little price difference. Computer is not redundant like iS series, each fuel pump takes 8 to 10 amps so you cannot run both fuel pumps at the same time, it is a custom installation and every 500 hours you are supposed to take it apart and check and go another 500 hours. Not something I can offer with confidence to an end user. Parts take weeks and months to get here but maybe that has changed (this was during Covid). The bottom line is if you are an enthusiast and a motorhead, it is a motor you can probably own and experience. If you are just looking to fly probably not the right ownership experience for you. Even in Colorado, 915iS on AR-1 is doing well.

I think much of the decision rests on what you are starting with. If you already have a 912 or 914 and are looking to upgrade or improve, the add ons make sense, if you are starting from scratch and don't want the hassle, then buying a higher number Rotax new out of the box makes sense. My main goal was to get rid of the carbs; as an added benefit I got improved performance in every parameter and decreased weight. Cost at the time was $6k per engine, still totalling quite a bit less than a 912is. I worry a bit about redundancy, but with 2 engines I have two alternators. Adding a second backup EarthX Lithium battery (still less weight than 1 regular battery), should give me at least an hour to get on the ground if I were to lose both charging systems.

Last edited: