The Junk Yard Dog is flying!

LARRYEBOYER

Gold Member
I finished the JYD1 and got air worthyness cert in July. I started test taxis and several engine issues came up. Also ground handling and a lot of tweaks of which a couple issues still need to be resolved for JYD1 to be awesome.
Anyway, today I finally took her up. It was a beautiful low/no wind day of 70 degrees.The 27ft dragon wings really spin up with the RAF style pre-rotator. I started my roll and in apx 150 feet she rocked back as if to say, push the throttle forward you coward and let me show you what I can do!!!When the dog howels, you got to listen. The throttle moved to the stops and JYD1 jumped into the air. 500 feet altitude came almost instantly. I pulled back to half throttle and saw 65 indicated. The gyro was as solid as could be and it was time to make a turn. I moved my wrist and the gyro turned effortlessly. Down wind was uneventful as as I turned a curvy base and final, it was flying itself. I pulled power at 250 feet and auto rotated to a soft stop on the grass near my hanger. My adrenelin was pumping and I am not sure I breathed the whole time.Anyway, losing ones virginity is a once in a life time experience. This flight to take the virginity of JYD1 was one of those unforgettable experiences. Just thought I would share the experience with the forum.

Attachments

• DSC00408.jpg
    DSC00408.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00410.jpg
    DSC00410.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00409.jpg
    DSC00409.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
congrats man, now put some time on her and fly safe. Enjoy.

She sure don't look like a dog! Looks like a great machine Larry!

Hey,Bruce!!! Hope all is well. Looking forward to winter disapearing and Spring in the air. I hope to have a couple flyins in 2012. I will keep you in the loop. I really enjoyed your company and meeting your family.Plus you fly one of the nicest gyros around.Most people on the forum don't realize who you are and your extensive time and experience flying gyros.
Glad to know you.

Last edited:
The27 ft DWs turn apx 365. The JYD weighs a few lbs over 700lbs. The gear is Grove used in homebuilts and 152s. The first landing I made with them was less than perfect. Let's just say it landed before I did. I am sitting a lot higher than other gyros I have flown. The gear absorbed the hard landing and did't even bounce. I was sold on that gear! Had that been the RAF, damage would have occurred.

Last edited:
12 gallon seat tank covers

12 gallon seat tank covers

Anyone know where I can get a seat cover for a 12gal tank?

Tom M. like Stan says, or Ernie B. have worked with the Florida lady who sewed the Dominator 12 gal. seat tank covers.

She still has her patterns, at least several years ago when she did one for me. Excellent work, she does. Forgot her name, and it is in my old desktop computer that died...

It's getting cold in Pa and JTD is sitting confortable in the Boyer Hanger. I have a couple changes to make that are more creature comforts than flight enhancements. Hope to give future flight reports in a couple months and back to 60 degree plus weather

It's getting cold in Pa and JYD is sitting confortable in the Boyer Hanger. I have a couple changes to make that are more creature comforts than flight enhancements. Hope to give future flight reports in a couple months and back to 60 degree plus weather

It's getting cold in Pa and JYD is sitting confortable in the Boyer Hanger. I have a couple changes to make that are more creature comforts than flight enhancements. Hope to give future flight reports in a couple months and back to 60 degree plus weather

Larry
I went flying on new years day, it was almost 40* and I only stayed up for about 15 minutes. Keep me posted on this years events, I miss you guys.

going from builder to test pilot is something you can't explain,it has to be experienced for your self,i have done that several times,you never get used to it.nice looking machine,should be a blast to fly.best regards,eddie.

Larry, do you fly the RAF when it gets too cold for the Junkyard Dog?

HEY BRUCE!!! You are in the inner circle and nothin happens event wise without notification to the bumperdog!!! Keep in mind the 3rd week of August. we will be at Mifflin County airport for the Seventh annual Mifflin county Rotorcraft and experimental aircraft flyin. It keeps gettin bigger every year. We hope this year is no exception.Also I have been invited back to DJ at the wings and wheels at mifflin County July 13-14. Shoud be a fun weekend. I will be camping there that weekend. All is welcome, but especially the Bumperdog!

Mike, the RAF has heat and doors. Old Man winter only hangers the RAF if the snow flies and fouls up the runways.Out our way the winds blow strong out of the west and I love the steady 20mph days. Landing and takeoffs are awesome. And Eddie, thanks for the kind words. Yes building and test flying are two items that few things can take it's place.I really enjoy sitting back and trying to figure out how to do something different and better.

Last edited:
Hey you peckerheaded, pig ingesting,s--t throwing, hanger rash driving, poor excuse for a rotor pilot. Hope you are better. Chiss called me last week and said you had a clot in your leg. Glad to hear you are better. Call me sometime and catch up. Hope to see you at Benson days this year. I have it on the callender to go. All I need is some reasonable weather and I will fly via Boyer airlines, other wise second best to the rescue.

Stay well.

Larry, are you going to BDs without me again ?