Something for Stan

Thanks for that video link Tim. That was cool. I love doing confined area operations and max performance takeoffs.

Stan

yeah is a cool video, there is several helicycle videos on there now.

I still want a commuter 2B,but so far things are just not coming together to get it.

I see people fly helicopters like this all the time.

I read about them often in the NTSB reports.

I feel it is important to have respect for the height velocity curve.

The way he took off was not how I was taught to do a maximum performance takeoff in a helicopter.

It is not hard to imagine what would happen if the motor had gone quiet.

Thank you, Vance

.......you get old pilots,.....and bold pilots,.....but not many old bold pilots....!

Hey, Animal, I've got a set of original Commuter IIB construction plans. If you're willing to build, and you can get hold of "suitable" transmissions, you're up and away !! Many old Brantley IVO--- engines available to use. Better to be going along with a build in babysteps, than wishing you had it!!

Regards,

Francois

Vance- I raised the same concerns about partially operating in the grey area of the height velocity curve during a max performance takeoff. It is a calculated risk and one I personally would not want to practice regularly. Thats why I have a chopper channel cut out of my woods...even though the Helicycle could rise out of the hole fine. ....er....until the engine quit making noise. I will probably on a very limited basis operate into and out of a confined area after I have gained a lot of experience and confidence with my turbine.

But...it is taught that you may be in the grey area on occasion during a max performance takeoff. Please read this....

http://www.dynamicflight.com/flight_maneuvers/max_takeoff/

Stan

I am glad to hear that Stan.

I would not want you to bend your beautiful aircraft.

That is how I was taught.

I was taught not to do a maximum performance take off from a hover.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
HobbyCAD;269954Hey said:
a few years ago on my birthday I posted on barnstormers I was looking for a set of Commuter 2B plans. never found a full set, just reprints. but did have a guy E-mailed me that he had a complete project.

so far he still has it, but at the time I don't have the money for it unless I could sell both my falcon gyro project and my harley. the way the Economy is now I don't see it happening.

I have followed the Commuter 2 and commuter JR. for many years.even had a single seater located in texas,went as far as buying a van to go get it with and thats when gas prices went crazy,so I bought the falcon intead.

some day I still hope to get a 2B.

Animal, why don't you just slowly go along with a build, a little bit of chrome moly scrounged here, a bit more there, a friend with a TIG welder, some coolers for a bribe, and Bob's your uncle.

Then there's the issue of "domestic fraud", the better you get at it, the sooner the project gets completed. :humble:

I'll get to an A3 scanner, copy the plans and construction booklet, and post it here. That sure will wet your appetite!

Has the Safari not got the same dynamic components as the Helicom Ccommuter?

Regards,

Francois

Animal, why don't you just slowly go along with a build, a little bit of chrome moly scrounged here, a bit more there, a friend with a TIG welder, some coolers for a bribe, and Bob's your uncle.

Then there's the issue of "domestic fraud", the better you get at it, the sooner the project gets completed. :humble:

I'll get to an A3 scanner, copy the plans and construction booklet, and post it here. That sure will wet your appetite!

Has the Safari not got the same dynamic components as the Helicom Ccommuter?

Regards,

Francois
well I never bought a set of reprints, they don't have all the info of the real plans. I have a tig welder, but it is not working at the time.

the safari,evolved from the commuter 2B and they even own up to that on the website and honor the builder and owners of the Commuters in their flight school and parts. in fact the guy that has the project I found even has a set of Safari plans and serail number from Safari,to convert it to a true safari.

at one time Vortech sold a DVD of the Safari flying. $30.00 all I can say is it did show one flying. but the quility was crap.

My set shows all the dimensions, instuctions how to jig up the frame. Only the transmissions are not detailed, for obvious reasons. The rest, controls, the lot, are detailed to construct.

do your plans say commuter IIB or IIA? and do you want to sell them? if so how much?
I might be intrested.

Commuter IIA

Commuter IIA

Went to dig them out under all my old stuff, they say Commuter IIA. Thought it was IIB.

Don't want a thing for them, it's share and share alike on these forums. As long as I'm not out of pocket, I'm fine. A3 scans I can do at work, no worries, it's the A0's that cost money to do.

Attached some parts of the drawings, done on my home A4 scanner, for you to see the typical details of the plans. The instructions are a bit faded, will scan that in higher resolution.

Regards,

Francois

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0002.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0003.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0004.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0005.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0006.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Why Shipping? I'll scan them as .pdf files, post them at Rapidshare, you download them, and have them printed again. Much cheaper than shipping, and all can have a copy then.

Regards,

Francois

Tim...
Francois does a great job with the scans.!
...his "prints" are super clear and easy to read with Acrobat Reader (free download).
Rapidshare file hosting makes grabing them fast and easy.

well I don't even know what rapidshare is. and honestly I prefer to buy an original set of plans. I would not mind seeing a set. but I am looking for the 2B plans,I don't know if there is much of a differance or not except for the cab area.

I really don't want to get in trouble with copied plans as I am sure the Safari people still have the Rights to them.

if things came together on selling stuff ( Gyro project ,Harley and other stuff ) I could buy the project I already know of that has the plans, but the key would be getting everything sold,and well with the Economy I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I do know the guy that has it said he does not see advertiseing it again,so it should still be around with any luck.
besides I need to get my Falcon finished and flying first.

Hi There Animal,

I have some IIB sheets of 3 dimensional views as well, the only difference I can see being the canopy. The IIA has the fabric covering, the IIB a fibreglass shell. The rest seems exactly the same.

Again, it's open to interpretation, but the plans don't show any copyright restrictions printed on them. I cannot see any reason to not send you a copy. It's original Helicom drawings, not Safari drawings. I agree, if it were Safari stuff, they can complain. When they bought the Helicom design, I doubt if they earned "instant IP ownership" over peoples previously purchased non-copyrighted goods, that they had nothing to do with back then.

It's up to you, let me know if you want a set. I'll stand by until you've decided what you want. I'm not willing to sell you my original set, I'm only willing to reproduce it, and post it on the forum for you in electronic format. It's the same thing, in fact, better, it's more portable, you can zoom in to detailed areas, not that these plans are so detailed.

Regards,

Francois

Last edited:
Francois

Francois

Hello everyone,

Francois, I'm not a very active member, but I do lurk in here. If that offer to Animal is good for all, I'd love to have a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Monk