One thousand hours as pilot in command.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
As I totalted the page in my log book I saw I have over one thousand hours as pilot in command.

I have given more than 60 people rides in The Predator.

We have flown into 44 airports.

We have flown to 12,800 feet AGL.

We have flown in five air shows and learned a lot from each of them.

I have over 3,000 landings in my log book and still practice often.

I continue to improve my communication with ATC and my radio work in general continues to improve. I am more willing to ask if I am confused by something I heard.

My situational awareness continues to improve. Five or Six aircraft in the pattern at an uncontrolled airport has become more manageable for me.

The charts now speak to me where in the beginning I found the information presented difficult to apply and overwhelming.

My navigation in general continues to improve.

My understanding of weather, how it is going to affect me and how to find out more about it continues to expand. I check the weather each day for a week before a long cross-country flight to develop a strategy for dealing with the weather. I have come to know the local weather patterns well. I am still ambushed by weather but it happens less often with less significant consequences.

I am better able to manage weather related challenges and have an easier time deciding not to fly in adverse conditions.

My preflights take just as long as I continue to expand the scope and thoroughness.

I find new sources of joy in aviation nearly every time we fly and often when I am preparing to fly.

Planning a new cross country flight still takes nearly as long as flying it. I am able to find joy in the process. I find great satisfaction when I have the tools available to manage a divergence from the plan.

I am presently planning for El Mirage and I have the information on every airport within 50 nautical miles of our two possible routes of flight. I added a condensed version that has the airports alphabetically on two sheets with abbreviated information in case I am not able to find or lose the complete sheet that contains all the information I find useful.

I feel that making an effort to fly with more precision improves my piloting skills more than just wandering around the sky so now I wander with precision.

I am working on my Commercial endorsement and my study of IFR procedures has caused me to modify my approach to some airports.

I feel connected with The Predator on a subconscious level and she seems to respond to my feelings and desires.

Fewer parts of flying seem counterintuitive to me.

Overconfidence continues to be my nemesis.

I still wonder about how near trouble I am. Now that The Predators capabilities and mine have expanded I continue to push into the unfamiliar areas of The Predators Flight envelope.

In the last 100 hours:

We few in three different air shows.

We Logged 66 hours of cross country.

We logged 172 landings.

We successfully avoided night flight; I have 11.6 hours of night flight in 1,000 hours as pilot in command.

We flew to Santa Paula four times, Hollister once and Watsonville once.

Ed and I won the flower bomb drop at Watsonville.

The Predator won best Rotorcraft at Watsonville.

The IO-320 B1A passed 500 hours and her oil analysis says she is a happy Lycoming and the condition of the valves and cylinder bores suggests we have many happy flying hours ahead.

In the last 100 hours my biggest improvements in flying technique are throttle control and energy management.

In the last two air shows I was able to manage her energy much like a rollercoaster trading altitude for air speed and then turning the airspeed back into altitude. I understood this principle intellectually but I had not applied it intuitively until The Thunder Over The Valley air show. It allowed my throttle application to be smoother and made The Predator appear to be a much higher performance aircraft than she is. I find I am able to apply this to typical missions but the difference is not as evident as in an Air Show environment.

My friend and mentor, Glen Ray commented that he could hear the difference in my throttle control and saw the difference in the smoothness of the routine at SMX.

Speaking of Glen Ray, in our last two dog fights with his Luscombe I was able to get on his six twice. In our previous two encounters the result were reversed. My advice for a gyroplane pilot when dog fighting with a fixed wing is; slow down and turn tighter. They have to deal with the accelerated stall demon.

My joy continues to expand with every flight.

I am grateful to my friends on the forum for all their help with my continuing aviation adventure.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• One thousand hours as pilot in command.
    7.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
    5.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 0
    6.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
    1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
    2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
    4.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What a great milestone my friend. Very proud to call you a friend and a privilege to have the ability to read and learn from your adventures. Congratulations and thank you for taking the time to have us all enjoy your passion through your writings.

Vance, it's a great feeling...and get's better. Well done.

Congratulations on your accomplishment and I am perplexed!

My understanding of weather, how it is going to affect me and how to find out more about it continues to expand. I check the weather each day for a week before a long cross-country flight to develop a stagey for dealing with the weather. I have come to know the local weather patterns well. I am still ambushed by weather but it happens less often with less significant consequences

The word stagey in this paragraph has what meaning? Dictionaries refer to a stage. :noidea:

Nice to hear from my friends!

Nice to hear from my friends!

Thank you Gabor, you are a remarkable individual that I will never understand.

I am proud to know you and I learn from your experience.

I love to share what I learn because so much has been generously shared with me.

I am practicing writing for the book.

Thank you Leigh, I would love it if someone with your experience and diversity would spell out for me what to do next to become a better pilot.

I live aviation from day to day without specific goals and that is probably not very efficient.

Pilot proficiency is a moving target for me and I would love for someone to define it for me so I could take better aim.

Thank you Stan, It is great fun having a friend like you!

My semi literacy is showing Jeff and I did not properly proof read what I wrote because I was in a hurry to get to an appointment.

Strategy is what I intended to type.

An example of weather strategy is flying inland to Taft and then up the Grape Vine to General William J Fox Field (WJF) to get to El Mirage instead of flying along the coast to Santa Paula and then up the pass to WJF because in the morning it is fogy along the coast and in the afternoon the wind at WJF often exceeds my gust limits. I can fly North East special VFR out of Santa Maria relatively early and hopefully dodge the tulle fog in the Valley and get to El Mirage before the wind comes up.

It did not work last year and we had to spend the night in Lancaster.

Lately the high desert has had a plethora of thunderstorms in the afternoon that I would like to miss.

It has been better the last two days.

Thank you, Vance

Vance,

Keep on keepin' on.

I love your enthusiasm for our sport.

Vance,

I really admire you. You're so eager to learn from every opportunity that someone will hardly believe from your posts that you already achieved such experience in the gyro word.

You are the Plato of aviation, and I respect you for that!

Maher

He does tell a good story.

Thank you Mark,

I was worried that once I learned to fly that the fun would have gone out of it for me.

Instead each flight adds to my love of aviation.

It appears that I am going to have to get back to work for a while and curtail my flying some more so I can acquire enough money to finish Mariah Gale and pay for our trip.

I don’t want to slow my learning and yet I don’t multitask well.

That is a very nice thing to say Maher.

I may have misled you.

I did not finish high school.

I strive to be confused on a higher level by comparing my experiences with others opinions and seldom reach conclusions.

I am very much included in my narratives.

I feel Plato would not approve of the restricted nature of my passion or my reliance on my senses.

Thank you, Vance

Vance,
Congratulations. Keep in mind though statistically you at a milestone wherein some are likely to become dangerous from over-confidence but you sound like you will be the exception. Just keep learning and keep asking yourself "What can go wrong with this plan/flight/maneuver/etc, etc" and always have at least a plan B.
Randy

Hi Vance,

You are a true inspiration to those aspiring to be proficient pilots. I emphasize the word proficient. While there are pilots and more pilots, there are not many proficient ones. Wish you many more hours of proficient, fun-filled flying!!

Nice things to say.

Nice things to say.

Thank you for your service Randy.

I would love to have access to your experience.

I hope you will not hesitate to let me know when I have made a poor aviation decision.

You have accurately described my perspective.

I have an ongoing battle with overconfidence.

Some of the local pilots make fun of how much I use check lists and my elaborate contingency planning.

I know things will go wrong and I typically have multiple contingency plans.

One of my aviation magic moments is when the path from General William J Fox Field (WJF) to Santa Paula (SZP) was blocked by a blanket of fog in the canyon. Both airports were VFR. I called flight service and could barely hear them. She was not familiar with the nearby airports and could not tell me the weather in the Valley so I could divert to Taft (L17). Taft does not report weather so I asked her for the weather at Meadow’s Field (BFL) because I knew it was nearby. I was pleased to find when I filled up at Taft that I still had enough fuel to get back to General William J Fox field if things had not worked out.

Plan A; WJF to SZP, plan B; WJF to Camarillo (CMA), Plan C; WJF to L17, plan D; return to WJF, Plan E; divert to Tehachapi (TSP), Plan F divert to Mojave Airport (MHV), Plan G divert to California City (L71). Well you get the idea. I had the information and fuel on board for all of these. My charts and facilities guide was current and I had all the approach numbers.

Thank you for the kind words Antony, they mean a lot coming from someone with your experience.

I have so much to learn and I find such pleasure in exercising what I have learned.

I regularly bump up against my ignorance.

I appreciate the thoughtful perspective in your posts and appreciate your passing on what you have learned.

That is one of the things I love about aviation. It seems that everyone who has ever flown wants to help me be safe and have fun. I love this sport and the people in it.

Thank you, Vance

Congrats Vance, you are truly an inspiration.

Back at you Mike.

Back at you Mike.

Thank you Mike,

I feel your involvement in the hobby of gyroplanes is inspirational.

You appear to work hard to provide others with information.

Having two such diverse gyroplanes seems remarkable to me.

Thank you, Vance

Let me also chime in her, Vance, and congratulate you to your many achievements. I know that reaching 1000 hours in the Predator is only one of many milestones on the way, and I am sure you will reach your goal of inspiring people while flying across country and writing about it.

-- Chris.

Congratulations !!

here ya go,a personal patch for 1000 hours !!!
(Colors a bit f#cked up,inside field should be black,field between the red/blue borders should be white (US colors)....oh well)

Attachments

• Vance patch.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Thank you Chris!

I loved our time together and you are an inspiration to me.

Thank you for being a friend.

Thank you Gilbert!

I had not seen this side of you.

That is very artistic.

Ed loves patches, I look forward to showing it to her when she wakes up. It is 4:15 here now.

At the risk of being repetitive, I love the way our passion transcends borders, language and culture.

So does art!

Thank you, Vance

Cita- That is a very nice patch design....

Vance......I would be so proud to wear that on your flight suit. It will give you credibility! I stopped short of being credible in gyro hours at 810 hours. I doubt very much I will add one hour to that. 1000 hours seems unsurmountable in a helicopter. I doubt I will be credible in helicopters until I reach 1000 hours. That will be a L-O-N-G time from now.

Stan

Credibility? Humor?

Credibility? Humor?

Hello Gilbert,

Ed loves the patch and is going to look into getting two made so she can wear one too.

Hello Stan,

The thread is about one thousand hours as pilot in command.

I suspect you are coming up on that.

Many people feel you have credibility.

I don’t feel credibility is an attribute you can promote by adding something to your clothing.

Once it is lost it is hard to get back.

Most of us here on the forum know that you have many hours in a gyroplane before you moved over to the dark side.

Some here may not know that I was trying to learn humor when your credibility came into question.

Thank you, Vance
:)

Last edited:
Vance,Stan

thanks for the kind words.

Here's a few I designed for other people.

First one was for a member here,second one for a friend of mine who has logged 10.000 hours in rotorcraft (helicopter/gyrocopter)

Attachments

• fire department.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Woody.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 0