New and improved FloatGyro

HydroGyroNut

Hydro
Finally sold my 8.4m blades and replaced them with Autogyros 8.8m line.
Enjoyed the flight after a long hiatus. Interesting, rotors spin slower at approx 310RPM vrs 380 before. Lots of flying to do in the coming weeks/months.

Attachments

• gyro.jpg
    gyro.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
Glad you got that all figured out! They will spin slightly slower because the can produce the same lift at lower rpm due to the leignth and loading.

Great! Looking forward to some float flying with you in 2-3 months.

You ust be truly excited. I'm very happy for ya fullfilling that float dream. The AirCam is probably one of the safest amphibs in that configuration. You will enjoy it, Im pretty sure. Hope we can indeed link up with some side by side float stuff.
Let me know when u are done and pictures pleeeaaase!

I like the way she looks on floats.

How does she fly?

IIRC It been reported here that the drag from floats can cause PPO on tall legged gyroplanes with floats??

Do you ever feel the drag at different air speeds?

Hi John,
Not at all. She is very stable in flight. As an amphibian, I can take off on land or water and can land in water with my wheels down without any issues as the wheels are located around the CG and landing is at a low speed or even zero speed. She definitely needed more power to be fully loaded to 1234pounds max take off weight, to perform well, so I have a big bore kit uping power to 130HP and I now have bigger rotors for even better performance. I love it. I do not feel any drag or PPO tendencies and for a floatplane she is still very quick and responsive. On abrupt application of power, i do not feel the nose going down and it stays quite steady. The aerodynamic design is very sound. I have an airfoil structure as a splash guard located from just ahead of my CG to just behind my prop. That gives me lift as well as splash protection and even with extreme nose down attitude, no worries of cathcing air and pulling nose down for a PPO event. The rear end of the floats have horizontal stabs and I have trim tabs on the rear of the main horizontal stabs that also trim it out and increase the effectiveness of the HS.A very stable platform. Vx is much lower than when its on wheels and was around 40knots with the smaller blades and now probably less than that.

Hi John,
Not at all. She is very stable in flight. As an amphibian, I can take off on land or water and can land in water with my wheels down without any issues as the wheels are located around the CG and landing is at a low speed or even zero speed. She definitely needed more power to be fully loaded to 1234pounds max take off weight, to perform well, so I have a big bore kit uping power to 130HP and I now have bigger rotors for even better performance. I love it. I do not feel any drag or PPO tendencies and for a floatplane she is still very quick and responsive. On abrupt application of power, i do not feel the nose going down and it stays quite steady. The aerodynamic design is very sound. I have an airfoil structure as a splash guard located from just ahead of my CG to just behind my prop. That gives me lift as well as splash protection and even with extreme nose down attitude, no worries of cathcing air and pulling nose down for a PPO event. The rear end of the floats have horizontal stabs and I have trim tabs on the rear of the main horizontal stabs that also trim it out and increase the effectiveness of the HS.A very stable platform. Vx is much lower than when its on wheels and was around 40knots with the smaller blades and now probably less than that.
Thank you so much for the pilot report that's exactly what I wanted to know and appears you have done everything right... Great JOB!!!

What shop did the big bore for you ? What speed do you comfortably cruise at ? How many hours do you have on the ship now ? You're my guinea pig - Ive toyed with the idea of doing the same thing. Here in Florida there's lots of water to go to.
Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy,
You absolutely right. Mine are amphib Puddle Jumper floats with fully retractable wheels. One of 3 in existence, however mine is setup quite differently from the other 2, as I have done a lot of modifications to enhance performance. Lowered the machine by 2 inches onto the floats to improve the CG. Big Bore Kit was completed by Ronnie Smith of South Mississippi Light Aircraft at Lucedale. If u decide you want a similar setup, I can definitely give you some tips based on my learning experience. Agreed. I feel like I'm a guinea pig indeed.Lol. It's been a long road to this point and this is indeed a very nice flying machine drawing a lot of attention. In an engine out situation, i can land anywhere, water or land. Very cool. I just setup my new rotor blades so not sure on the numbers right now, but will be flying much more shortly. Usually cruised at 70-75 knots, Vx was 43Knots with the smaller blades, and is significantly lower than the same machine flying without floats due to the floats and the empennage between the floats contributing to lift.