Bill Piper's built-up gyro structure

piolenc

Joined 6/2007
Aircraft
none
Total Flight Time
13 (student)
Some time ago sombody on this forum was kind enough to put me in touch with Bill Piper. My problem was that I have no, or very limited and expensive access to aircraft-grade structural tubing in my outpost of civilization in Mindanao, but there's plenty of high-grade sheet metal. Mr. Piper had, years ago, built a successful open gyro structure of riveted sheet metal. When I contacted him, he kindly gave me all the details he had available, and permission to post them here in case others might benefit. I'm finally getting around to doing that. What follows is two email messages from him:
--------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------
Dear Mr. Piolenc.

I was flattered by your interest in my gyro. Unfortunately I never drew plans for the machine that other people could use. I designed and built the original version from layout drawings and sketches in the late 1950s, initially as a towed glider which my partner and I used to learn to fly it. I modified it later to add a McCulloch engine. We flew it until 1998 when it was badly damaged by a ground loop after landing, for unknown reasons. I have not rebuilt it because of my age. The gyro had almost 300 hours of flight time.

About all I can do to help you is to attach two photos and describe the construction. The horizontal fuselage is made of .040" (inches) thick 2024-T3 aluminum sheet formed into two channels. The upper channel is 5" wide with tapered vertical flanged. The lower channel is slightly narrower so that it nests inside the bottom of the upper channel. The flanges of the lower channel are a constant 1" high, pointing upward. The flanges of the two channels are riveted together to form a monocoque box which is 5" wide and a height varying from 7" at the center to 3"" at each end. The length is about 107." There are nine frames inside the box to maintain its shape. They are made from rectangular pieces of 2024-T3 sheet with bent flanges on all four sides so that they can be riveted to the box.

The mast construction is similar to the horizontal fuselage except that the lower part is reinforced to support the weight, thrust and vibration of the engine. It is joined to the horizontal fuselage with riveted gussets on each side. The engine mount is mostly aluminum angle, as is the support for the seat. The superstructure at the front of the fuselage is also .040" aluminum sheet. It originally mounted the tow hitch when the machine was a glider and is the mount for the instruments. The main landing gear is mostly 1" diameter SAE 4130 steel tubing. The upper struts have telescoping upper ends with die springs inside to absorb shocks.

Obviously this construction is vastly more difficult to fabricate than a typical Bensen-type gyro which is primarily lengths of 2" square aluminum tubing bolted together with gussets. My design requires precision aluminum forming and the driving of hundreds of 1/8" solid rivets with a pneumatic rivet gun. I wanted a gyro design much more sophisticated than Bensen's, but it took much longer to build.

I hope this information is of some help. I wish I had more to offer. Good luck with your project.

William Piper

Dear Mr. Piolenc:

If you wish to post the information on my gyro to the Rotary Wing Forum, I don't mind. Remember that this design is about 50 years old and photos of the machine have been in Rotorcraft magazine many times, as well as an article.

You ask about my use of solid rivets. They are cheaper and stronger than blind rivets. At the time I designed the gyro, in the late 1950s, blind rivets were a rarity and much more expensive than MS20470AD4 rivets. To buck them, I had 3 1/2" dia. holes in the bottom of the horizontal fuselage and the aft side of the mast between the frames. The holes were covered by plates to keep out bugs and dust.

Except for the rotor head and landing gear, only cursory stress analysis was needed since the stresses in the sheet metal were far below the yield strength of the 2024-T3 aluminum skins.

I first used this type of construction in the design of an item of ground support equipment for an Air Force fighter jet. It worked well.

I hope this information answers your questions. If you need more, send e-mail

Regards, William Piper

Attachments

• Piper Monocoque Gyro #1 modified for Internet.jpg
    Piper Monocoque Gyro #1 modified for Internet.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Bill's gyro, N9195Z.jpg
    Bill's gyro, N9195Z.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Gyro photo.jpg
    Gyro photo.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Piper Monocoque Gyro #1.jpg
    Piper Monocoque Gyro #1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 4
Hey Dave B..

Hey Dave B..

Is this the rig you showed me? it sure looks similar!
Ben S

I think I blundered into video footage on YouTube of the accident that Bill Piper refers to in his letter - the ground loop that retired the gyro. It's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v70Lz0aTQOs and entitled "Older Gyrocopter [sic] Pilot Crashes on Landing." Unfortunately, the accident occurs so far from the camera that no analysis is possible.

From what I could see in the video, it looked like he flared a little high and, lost control after it hit hard. Looked to me like the landing could have been saved by adding lots of power early on. Nice looking machine, I liked lines.

From what I could see in the video, it looked like he flared a little high and, lost control after it hit hard. Looked to me like the landing could have been saved by adding lots of power early on. Nice looking machine, I liked lines.

The touchdown does look a bit brutal, but then the machine seems to roll out straight, initially. Then it starts to crab to the left and tips over on its right side. Not your impression? I get the impression that the nose gear was damaged on landing, and then failed to respond to the pilot's corrections when the machine started to crab. Perhaps it was even the cause of the crabbing. I hope the gentleman who now has the damaged machine will take the trouble to photograph it in detail, and make the images available.

Last edited:
I used a slightly different construction method to build a gyro for a cirrus minor inline invirted four cylinder aircooled engine, up until now I thought Bill Pipers gyro was built like mine with the body made of four sides rivited together, mine was 6061 .020 but I don't know how well it would have held up over time because I didn't fly it for long, I learned real quick that the engine will not cool very well on a pusher at low speed, I later used the engine on a fixed wing but only flew it for two years before a heavy wet snowstorm crushed it before I could get home to clean it off, I still have the engine and have thought of powering a tractor gyro with it.

Norm

one more thing I did different was that all rivits were bucked with a long bar extending in through the nose or tail and down through the mast aera, because of the cold weather mine was going to have a fiberglass pod much like a snomobile but after building a nice mold I found that there was no fiberglass shipment on the last supply boat of the season so I used shaved wood and glue in the mold with a weather ballon inflated to apply pressure and the result was a strong lightweight pod that when painted looked as good as fiberglass.

Norm

The touchdown does look a bit brutal, but then the machine seems to roll out straight, initially. Then it starts to crab to the left and tips over on its right side. Not your impression? I get the impression that the nose gear was damaged on landing, and then failed to respond to the pilot's corrections when the machine started to crab. Perhaps it was even the cause of the crabbing. I hope the gentleman who now has the damaged machine will take the trouble to photograph it in detail, and make the images available.

Yes ... and the lack of caster in the front wheel may have contributed as well ... or even been the main culprit.

For a given load, this type of construction is inherently more weight-efficient than extruded tubes used as cantilever beams. IIR, Bill's gyros was signficantly lighter than a Bensen.

A truss structure made up of small tubes welded into in triangular patterns is also more efficient (and, like the sheet metal, more work). There's a tradeoff between easy assembly/maintenance and best performance.

For a given load, this type of construction is inherently more weight-efficient than extruded tubes used as cantilever beams. IIR, Bill's gyros was signficantly lighter than a Bensen.

While the beam construction of a Bensen is not very efficient structurally, Doug, I am not sure about saving significantly by going to a truss or other form of construction. The square tubes in the Bensen weigh less than 18 pounds. At best you are saving 9 pound if you save 50%. In practice I suspect it is closer to 4-5 pounds due to minimum gauge issues.

I have always liked that bird.
Seems all the components could be water-jet cut, and riveted easily.
A modern version could have a 'wet' frame for fuel, internal plumbing, wiring, etc.
I like the straddle seating idea.
Somebody should run with this design...

Raghu, there's a little more weight to be saved than just the thinner walls. A Bensen is stuck together with 10-12 pounds of steel bolts. These would be replaced in a welded-tube structure by weld beads, which contain far less metal than a bolt-nut-washer set. You also don't have to beef up your structure to compensate for the severe weakening effect of drilled holes.

Finally, bracketry is very simple on a welded structure -- just cut out and weld a tab, stub tube or whatever you need. Brackets on Bensen-style construction tend to involve chunky bits of material and more #@&% heavy bolts.

I believe a carefully-designed welded-tube structure, and probably a monocoque, Bill Piper-style design as well, could lose more like 15 lb. than 5, compared to a Bensen. That won't set the world on fire, but it would buy you enough weight margin to, for example, add a prerotator to a Part 103 gyro.

Especially if you also filled the tires with hydrogen instead of air. :flame:

one more thing I did different was that all rivits were bucked with a long bar extending in through the nose or tail and down through the mast aera, because of the cold weather mine was going to have a fiberglass pod much like a snomobile but after building a nice mold I found that there was no fiberglass shipment on the last supply boat of the season so I used shaved wood and glue in the mold with a weather ballon inflated to apply pressure and the result was a strong lightweight pod that when painted looked as good as fiberglass.

Norm

Hooray! Molded veneer lives.

I have always liked that bird.
Seems all the components could be water-jet cut, and riveted easily.
A modern version could have a 'wet' frame for fuel, internal plumbing, wiring, etc.
I like the straddle seating idea.
Somebody should run with this design...

I would love to be the guy to "run with it." I need to at least make some sketches based on the photos and Mr. Piper's description of the keel.

Design information for thin-walled sheet metal structure

Design information for thin-walled sheet metal structure

Can somebody suggest a good source of sound, practical design information for thin-walled sheet metal structures like the one we've been discussing? I have the usual stuff - Bruhn, Roark, Bleich, Wood, ANC-5 - but I'm hoping to find a technical report or other text dealing specifically with this kind of structure. I'm particularly worried about how concentrated loads are fed into the structure without causing a local failure.

Can somebody suggest a good source of sound, practical design information for thin-walled sheet metal structures like the one we've been discussing? I have the usual stuff - Bruhn, Roark, Bleich, Wood, ANC-5 - but I'm hoping to find a technical report or other text dealing specifically with this kind of structure. I'm particularly worried about how concentrated loads are fed into the structure without causing a local failure.

Two books you may want to consider:

Practical Stress Analysis for Design Engineers by Jean-Claude Flabel

Flying On Your Own Wings by Chris Heintz

Flabel deals a lot with the analysis of fittings that tie sheet metal aircraft structures together.

Heintz is a book on light sheet metal aircraft design, much of which is technical structural information.

Both books are well illustrated.