OSKBES MAI Aviatika experimental gyroplane

Mcmanus

Risultato di traduzione​

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask all of you who certainly have all the experience in the world regarding what is the assembly that makes up a gyroplane, what you think of this project https://www.oskbes.ru/890a-e.html I was able to personally see the Mai 890 biplane years ago both in flight and on the ground, and the 90° beam that makes up the structure of the aircraft is of truly superlative construction, of aeronautical workmanship at all levels, starting from the joints of the various parts of the beam in the cockpit area, with the use of full-head rivets as on the aircraft of the past, control rods made in an overwhelming way and of generous dimensions and last but not least the levers of the titanium front wheel, well, the same structure is used on this gyroplane, with the addition of a mast (removable if desired) to support the complete rotor head and the control rods, etc. etc. What convinces me a little less is the fact that on this aircraft they have maintained the same tail control system as the fixed-wing aircraft. Given the versatility of this structure and the availability of the components present today, do you think it makes sense to assemble a gyroplane "a la carte" starting solely from the supporting structure of the Mai 890? PS: Reading on the Oskbes website there is a passage where they highlight the point that they have now modified the engine mount and also the angle of incidence of the latter on this structure, by doing so it is now possible to also mount a 912 engine, a difference from years ago where the usable engines were the 503 and the 582.... Thank you for your attention and for your opinions.. Ps: Apologies, I defer to the administrators in case they want to move this post to the appropriate section.
Ciao a tutti! Fabio. Monza GMT 13.39

Attachments

• OSKBES MAI Aviatika experimental gyroplane
    2804607489_e44a5c5a8a_o.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi Fabio,

Pitch control with elevator? Roll control through head tilt?

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for your question, I hope I understand what you're referring to. As for the rotor head, there is already its appropriate removable mast that can support it, this does not mean that dimensions and diameters permitting on this mast I can apply for exmple a rotor head as I have seen CNC machined in a superlative manner on this forum, the same thing for the blades. However, as I expressed previously, the question remains on which type of elevator and rudder to mount, certainly in my modest and humble opinion what you see mounted on the Oskbes site is now obsolete for a gyroplane, considering the years of study and advancement technologically designed specifically to increase stability, and I believe the tail reigns supreme as far as the stability of a gyroplane is concerned. With all possible humility I admit that I have a lot to learn about gyroplanes and this Rotary wing forum seems like the appropriate place to learn.
Thankyou!
Fabio, Monza GMT 14.51

Good morning Fabio, this is a very big question without enough information to answer well.

I like how far back the empennage appears to be relationship to the apparent center of gravity.

All of the gyroplanes I have flown have a fixed horizontal stabilizer (no elevator) with the pitch being controlled with the cyclic.

I prefer a gyroplane that has the thrust line nearer the center of gravity and this gyroplane appears to have the thrust line well above the center of gravity.

Without testing it is hard to tell where the center of gravity is.

Many gyroplanes of relatively unique appearance are flying successfully.

Talk to your flight instructor before you select a design.

For a first gyroplane it may be best to use a proven design so your flight instructor knows how to transition you into your aircraft without a lot of expensive testing.

I wish you success on your gyroplane adventure.

I used to fly an MAI-890. Loved it. Always wanted to get the gyro kit for it! OSKBES MAI Aviatika experimental gyroplane

I used to fly an MAI-890. Loved it. Always wanted to get the gyro kit for it! View attachment 1159949
Hi Barry,

I've never flown one, but I really like the looks. Does the gyro version use an elevator for pitch? The reason I suspect that to be so is the apparent lack of room for rotor tilt back.

I would like to fly the biplane and gyro versions.

Jim

Yes Jim,
It used the horizontal as pitch…… like some of the old auto gyros. The biplane plane was fully aerobic, but very underpowered so you use a lot of energy management.

They were built in the MIG factory, and borrowed a lot of parts from Migs and yaks

good afternoon everybody! @Jim, now I understand what you were referring to, after all I think I have already answered you, at least in part, confirming as @ultracruiser41 says that that type of "tail" belongs to the old school, moreover they didn't put it on After a lot of effort in experimentation , kept the entire tail group of the biplane valid by borrowing it from the autogyro, probably with very tight static stops to limit the inclination of the rotor.... @Vance: Thanks for your wise and exhaustive answer, what you say is not flawless, but I confess that the idea of keeping only the supporting beam of the MAI 890 intact and succeeding with the studies necessary to create a beautiful customized machine should not be ugly... with a beautiful tail with three vertical tails as per the current school, which, as the good Tervamaki writes, is perhaps the one that gives greater stability to the autogyro. But for now this project remains on the back burner even though. I'm sure that here in Italy there is more than one MAi 890 that do not flying, aircraft from which they cannibalized the loved and hated R 582 and would be ideal as a starting point. Now it's cold here in Italy, it's the right time to renew my qualification on the 500 D and at the end of the mission a nice glass of Prosecco from Oltre Po Pavese with the instructor.... @Vance.... Thank you! @ultracruiser41, yes, they call the MAI 890 the little Mig, Migusha in Russian, and it is really very well made, also noteworthy is the generously sized Pitot tube which resembles that of a military jet.... Ps could you try sending an email to them to see if they have the conversion kit available....
Thank you to all, have a nice weekend!
Fabio, Monza GMT 14.26

MAI-890 Gyro
OSKBES MAI Aviatika experimental gyroplaneOSKBES MAI Aviatika experimental gyroplane

Good afternon to all,
@ultracruiser41 , the gyroplane that you post in the first pic, is experimental gyro too, an this machine can do Jump take off ;-)
Barry, I saw where your avatar is the sequence of aircraft on which you flew, I was also able to fly on the Provost Jet.....
Thank you!
Fabio, Monza GM 13.29