Aviomania - Viking First Impressions

I was under the impression from the previous Aviomania posts etc, that there was something inherent in the Aviomania tail and stab design that eliminated torque roll and yaw issues etc. that made them different to the standard Eurogyro design. Were these issues expected, is the choice of Viking 130 the problem?
What engine was this gyro originally designed for?

That feature is on the production models, mine is the prototype. I have gotten a handle on the torque now. I am applying less power at take off and easing the power up.

Up to 23.4 hours on my engine now. 18.4 flying. The engine is purring away. Today I switched out a thick washer that we had shimmer the hat bushing with for two soda can shims and had noticeably less shake. Todays winds were a bit high. The machine was very stable and comfortable. I returned to the area where my "issue" occurred today, however I took a much better route. A guy who had given me a hand while I was awaiting rescue was on the ground waving as I did a spiral around him.

Since I am still in my flyoff period I needed a place to go so I went up to xxxxxxxx looked it over. He found evidence of a tiny leak in a seal on my pre-rotater. He cleaned it off and told me to keep an eye on it, otherwise I got a clean bill of health.

Last edited:
Joe both threads have been most interesting to follow...and no, I really didn’t think you were that old!:)

You made what could have been a most unfortunate incident an almost non-event, and with Jan’s follow up, quickly sorted out a potentially puzzling problem with the gearbox, the photo was most instructive.

First saw and became interested in Jan’s Viking engines some years ago at Sun N Fun when they first started coming out, also know that there was a chap with two seat Dom at Wauchula that was having problems with his, but your experience seems to have been very positive with good back up from Jan.

The price seems very good and your continuing experience with it will continue to be very interesting to many of us. Rotax are the gold standard...but at a premium price.

Be interesting to see what Nicolas thinks about it, though I would imagine as a long time Rotax operator he may be very ‘let’s wait and see’.

why was the engine skipping?

Because it doesn't have a prop. The skips went away when the prop was put on not sure why that is, but I asked that and his conclusion proved true.

Cick! Today was a very good day. I woke up early and was in the air by 7:00 AM. I was determined to improve my take offs and landings and today it all clicked. My torque roll was simply a self induced issue. I was giving way more power than I actually needed to get off the ground so today I did 5 touch an gos and 1 full stop landing. Each of my take offs showed no more torque roll than I get with my single place. I was just flying it like I fly my single place and not taking advantage of that beautiful, powerful engine. I just don't need to floor it on the t/o roll. Greg had told me that, but it took this long for that to actually translate to action.

My landings were all very good too. I realized I was crowding the lz then trying to get down causing me to speed up and approach the ground too fast. I guess I am a slow learner because that click happened after almost 20 hours...but at least it happened!

Congratulations on your Progress Joe!

Congratulations on your Progress Joe!

Thank you for sharing your process Joe.

In my experience there are little flashes of insight that come to me in the night that open doors to progress.

I still feel it would be nice to address the torque roll with the empennage so you can always use full power with confidence and without corrections.

Thank you for sharing your process Joe.

In my experience there are little flashes of insight that come to me in the night that open doors to progress.

I still feel it would be nice to address the torque roll with the empennage so you can always use full power with confidence and without corrections.
Thanks Vance. I asked Nicolas about adding the trim tabs to the tail, and he said it would do nothing because my tail placement is not in the propstream. His production model has a tail configuration different than mine.

I always use full power on takeoff,after obtaining a positive rate of climb and airspeed

I then reduce power by several hundred RPMS and continue my climb.

I think that taking off with less than full power is an accident waiting to happen.

Say that you needed full power right after takeoff, going to full power at a slow airspeed

could torque roll you right into the ground, I have gone to full power at slow airspeeds

down low and only did it once,the lesson learned taught me that was a very bad place to

be and I now have have a mininum airspeed for full power applications. Just be carefull

and you will learn that the excess power can be your best friend.

Best regards,

Congratulations Joe, being self aware of issues to improve the outcome is a pilot in control, it only get better as you "play" to induce a different outcome. I remember you're training days at Wauchula and you have come along way. I remember when I first felt I was "wearing" my plane and started " playing" to change the outcome of different inputs.That day I did 17 landings and take offs with a smile from ear to ear, I was truly flying my plane.

26 Hours flown off. Stick shake not perfect but much improved. Hit 99 on a straightaway and saw 1100 fpm on a climb. Radio still an issue but will attack that next. Laura and I went out at the same time yesterday, her in her PPC and i in my Aviomania. She got these two nice air to air photos of me.

Attachments

• Aviomania - Viking First Impressions
    Air2air.2.3.10.2017.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Aviomania - Viking First Impressions
    Air2air3.10.2017.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4
That red certainly stands out.

Strike Two! About 3 weeks ago the gearbox on the Viking engine again burned out. This time I was not as lucky. I did land on a flat spot, but it was on the edge of the river and the ground under the right wheel was muck. The right wheel sank in about a foot, the nose-wheel bent and the gyro sat down on its nose. Unfortunately in order to assume that position the rotor had to strike the ground. Damage: Wheel pants, nose wheel, one frame member, cheek plates, and rotor. The tail suffered some cosmetic damage. Jan from Viking has agree to do the repairs and I have agreed to pay for the blades. Everything but sanding and painting of the tail has been completed but Jan is going to Sun N Fun and it won't be completed for a few weeks. The cooling/venting of the gearbox has been changed with the hope that the problem is resolved. When I take the air again it will be with Ernie's new wide chord blades. He has agreed to let me try them and if I can't adjust to them swap them back for the cruzer blades. My next tests will be full out high-speed tests over a runway until I just cant stand it anymore. Then do some more. I have one more "experiment", in me and I am hopeful Jan has made the appropriate changes. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Bummer, but sounds like good piloting just to make the landing zone.

Sorry about the bent metal Joe; I am so glad you weren't hurt.

It would not be easy for me to reestablish trust in the engine package.

Vance;n1118528 said:
Sorry about the bent metal Joe; I am so glad you weren't hurt.

It would not be easy for me to reestablish trust in the engine package.

Yeah that's why Joe said he will be test flying it from now on over the airport?

I talked to Mike today. He has the Dominator with a Viking engine and the reduction drive with only a small sump.
He has had no problems and Mike's the forum member who posts videos (see Chris's post above) for us flying over island coast lines.

PS:
Mike if you see this you might post about your setup and number of hours flown so far?