The making of Behemot

Exactly, We do know it is a super light weight gyro made of styrofoam, held together with JB Weld and guitar strings. Able to carry big Hungarian dudes at high speeds making all other gyros obsolete. Hopefully the tail will hold together.

Sometimes I am unsure of whether Gab is joking or serious….but if you are talking about cutting an airfoil…..with a negative template you will have a tough time using a hotwire, cause you will need to thread the wire through the template "cutout" and you won't be able to use locating or joining holes, and starting the cut will be a bitch......

When using a negative template, you may not need locating holes to join two hotwired airfoils together accurately, but if you do you will also need another jig template to drill them. If the template material has no internal stresses then it may not spring-out of shape when its periphery is cut open. The foam cutting hairs will hold the core in place, so no worries there. You may need a larger foam block to support the template. The main problem comes when you shift your feet or move your aching body to a new position….and if you are cutting on the top-side, it is easy to allow the wire to drop down away from the template and into your airfoil. A positive template protects the airfoil shape, allows for locating holes and a smaller foam block. But one can make a negative template work and sometimes is required, like when cutting out a cavity….you're the man….it is up to you.

I'm not sure I understand that. The trailing edge would be flush with edge of the foam block. Because it is difficult to place the hot wire on the template tips, my hands shake when excited, I attach an aluminum angle temporarily on the foam so the wire will self guild to the template T.E. You may not need to do that….being young and all…..

Good idea on using a switch...it will keep the wire from getting hot enough to stretch. It works well if it is turned on about ~3 seconds before starting the cut and then off after finishing the cut. Also here are times when you must stop during a cut, like a fly going up your nose, so a switch comes in handy....

That's looking good Gabor!!!

You probably have figured this out already but just to expand a bit on cutting foam using two different sized templates. You must mark the templates, regardless of size, with the same amount of divisions in percent of the chord. Then when cutting you need to move faster on the longer template, crossing the same value percent mark on both templates at the same time. Of course on an airfoil span that is longer than you can see both templates at the same time, you must have a person at each template. One person (the guide boss) counts off the numbers so the other can pass that point at the same time. If one is to work alone, then a span must be cut into smaller ~2' max or longer if you use mirrors to see the percent marks. The Queen would be a good choice….for the boss, and then you will be responsible to keep crossing the same number she calls out at the same time. This would be fun to watch. You may want to practice ;).

You may have already have considered this….if the templates are thicker than 1/16" and if the airfoil span tapers, you must make allowance for the wire touching the inside edge of the large airfoil and touching the outside edge of the small airfoil…..if you want the foil to be on exact scale.

Oh great 2 weeks never comes!!!

Boy....that fooled me....those templates look 1/4" to me....I blame it on the camera. You can separate those suckers the airfoil span distance and see how the wire will lay on them. Tapering the outside edges will work but with wood I would leave at least 1/16" flat. You sure don't mess around Gab! I should give my build to you ;).

Gabor,

Backup here a little. I have seen the Sparrowhawk tail build, but I am confused on the basic construction. Is this to be a solid one piece tappered foam tail, later to be fiberglassed? Where is the support for attachment?

It might just work now it has been revealed you don't have to hold the engine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mass production... I thought it was for "Massive Pilots"?... Seriously though, I'm on pins & needles, waiting to see how it turns out... And goes up...

Gabor, maybe at least sell plans... "Pretty please" :)

Good Lord....neither have I. I think something has gone horribly wrong in the translation…or the stress during this design phase has wacked him out….horribly! Gab….you're not right!

Cool Dart Board... Man

Hmm. Well, I like it! I can see where the inspiration came from and am surprised none of you recognize it. That is clearly modeled after the tire puncture devices used in parking lots to prevent unauthorized entry or exit. It takes a keenly tuned mind to look at a piece of iron tire spikes and imagine something aeronautical. Bravo.

Gabor, of all the minds I've ever seen...yours is one of them.

Gabor I think you`ve got your angles all wrong. But what do I know....:lol: