The making of Behemot

Shouldn't the sheet material be 6061T6?

Gabor, I see when you get really pissed, you chew on the end of your hammer. :mad:
...... his avatar did that
...... did in the cat too
...... and did the scratches in the aluminum
...... Gabor just eats nails
------------------------------------
Good morning Gabor , some guys around here will mistake that cat for a gray squirrel and want to barbecue it ... :)

Hey , is it true that heli CFI's can eat a pound of nails for breakfast and it never hurts them , because that is the student's job .... :)

Enjoying your build. I love build threads.

Gabor,

Is this your own design? Looks like a plans built machine, but I can't identify what type of gyro.

Did I miss that information, or are you keeping that under wraps? Looks good so far...

Best of luck.... Gary

Good deal, Gabor.

I'm very interested to see what the "Gabor Skunkworks" produces...

Close to the edge and no scoring there. Looking good.

Gabor,

Hope you didn't take offense to my use of the term "skunkworks"... it's actually meant as a compliment. Here's the official definition:

Skunk Works is an official alias for Lockheed Martin’s Advanced Development Programs (ADP), formerly called Lockheed Advanced Development Projects. Skunk Works is responsible for a number of famous aircraft designs, including the U-2, the SR-71, the F-117, and the F-22. Its largest current project is the F-35 Lightning II, which will be used in the air forces of several countries around the world. Production is expected to last for up to four decades.

The designation "skunk works", or "skunkworks", is widely used in business, engineering, and technical fields to describe a group within an organization given a high degree of autonomy and unhampered by bureaucracy, tasked with working on advanced or secret projects.

choppergabor :

Come on where is the pictures at?

Okay.....I really can't wait now.....I count five wheels! This is truly going to be a monster.....one wheel for each of the four legs and one for the tail, I assume......

The holes look nice and clean…..good thing….they will have a lot to hold up…..;).

Total entertainment! And a beautiful build.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

See you soon,

signed,

- The Slug

I'm enjoying this very interesting build Gab.....even though I don't know where in the heck it's headed yet. My eyes tell me it will be beefy and cool ;).

Love your build Gabor.

Luv it so much I went out and bought Aluminum futures stocks , and Aluminium recycling stocks.

You are a true friend Gabor , every time I log on to your build I feel like I am making money. :)

Love your sense of humor too , hope you like mine.

For someone who is a music affectionado , a skilled videographer , photo shop expert , roofer , muscle man , helicopter guy , and lives among queens and princesses , hey .... your metal working skills are pretty darn good too.

Keep eating up that aluminum , we are with you all the way ....

I think the lightening holes look great when done properly. You are doing a great job.

BUT......If you weighed the slugs that you are spending all this time to cut out, How much do they weigh?

Do those holes compromise the strength at all ?

Will you be drilling holes in all the 2x2 tubing? Not the mast, I'm sure !

I know....."watch the ounces & the pounds take care of themselves !!!!"

I was to the point with my SxS that, I looked it all over real well & was searching for places to lose some weight.

I am a hard head......I wanted STRENGTH not lightness. There was nothing I felt that I could sacrifice!

So, I started thinking about the lightening holes.....If I cut holes in everything , I'd be lucky to save a pound.

I decided to go on a diet........don't ask how that is working for me !

Just for the helluvit ...

Just for the helluvit ...

Chris. I just took a look at the photos, counted the holes and estimated sizes based on the scale in one of the photos. He has thus far removed ~1-1/4 pounds.
You mentioned strength so I did a preliminary stress analysis of the main joint. Without going into all the numbers just let me say that IF he ever stressed that joint to deformation, it will have killed him over 3 X dead!

The paper work for EAB states the experimental purpose as "education and recreation". He seems to be enjoying it, and I'll bet he's learning a lot!

But the biggest thing I see is Gabi is a very creative and imaginative individual. I would imagine his motives and objectives are entirely different than yours or mine. As a creative and "artistic" sort person, his whole thought process is on a different plane from most folks. So he ain't doing it the way YOU would do it; SO WHAT?
He definately ain't doing it the way I would do it, but SO WHAT?
WE shouldn't try to mold others into our own image.

Well, 1 1/4 lbs ain't bad !

I probably over "engineer" things anyway.

I must say "WOW" to the responce here ! I will have to get some pics of my machine & with all your help, figure out what material I can remove. I'm serious !

Did anyone see my rubber material thread ? Need a little help there.

I just had to go back & look at the pictures....... 4 plates ? 2 with 12 holes, 2 with 6 total.... 1/4" plate .....saved 1 1/4 lbs !

That's pretty good. 1/4" is heavy stuff.

I wasn't trying to "mold" him......I was questioning my own way of thinking that it was a waste of time & hole saws (for me). If the weight & stress analysis are correct......far from a waste of time !

Thanks Gabor ! I am here to learn & share, not to teach !

Last edited:
I used .090 chromoly plate for the critical bend in the keel. I also mitered a 'v' cut in the keel and bent it up leaving the bottom wall of the 2x2 intact. No lightening holes, and I chose AN3 hardware. I think that joint has the most stress on the whole frame.:sad:

Mr. Gabor

I finally got caught up on your posts this morning at 0300 hours. You are amazing my friend. It looks pretty sharp, I really enjoy all the pictures.

Russ

choppergabor :
I for one am going to sit back and watch you make it come together "Sir".

I hope to see you this week again. B/Days.....:eek:

Gabor, that is a cool Gyro you are building there,been watching the build from the start. is it going to be a tall tail design?

looks very strong and built to last.

Looking forward to seeing ya at Bensen Days, got the ROC 2009 video on DVD and some test runs of the Commuter H1B on the DVD for ya.