Tercel N640BE Wyoming - 11-6-18

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
The FAA ASIAS states "TRENDAK GYROCOPTER EXPERIENCED A HARD LANDING AND FLIPPED OVER, COKEVILLE WY" - injury none - damage is listed as substantial

This Tercel used to be based in Florida - a look at the FAA Register shows registration pending for Wyoming - assume recent purchase.

It is my observation that some people fly without an airworthiness certificate of registration because they feel they won’t get ramped checked.

I feel it is important to have the paperwork in order in case something doesn’t work out.

The registration for N640BE says “cert terminated” AKA not airworthy.

The registration, airworthiness certificate, operating limitations, and pilots license are supposed to be on board any time an aircraft is airborne.

Registration pending does not make the gyroplane airworthy.

If one of the two people on board has a pilot certificate or is a CFI there is likely to be an enforcement action. If neither has a pilot certificate there may be some legal hurdles to jump.

As the pilot in command it is my job to make certain anything I fly has all the paperwork on board.

The wheels of the FAA turn slowly and I feel there is value in doing things their way.

Glad there were no injuries.

A properly handled sale can cause a "sale reported" flag to appear in the FAA database temporarily while the papers are processed through Oklahoma City, but the aircraft can still be operated in the interim if you carry the proper documents on board. You have to mess something up to get "cert terminated" in the records instead. This particular aircraft shows a manufacturing date in 2015, an airworthiness date in 2016, and a registration application early this year so it seems unlikely to be as simple as missing the three-year re-registration requirement. I wonder what happened.

Update - the NTSB Factual Report states

On June 11, 2018, at 0715 mountain daylight time, an Aston Kinsey Tercel gyrocopter, N640BE, impacted terrain during landing at a private airstrip near Cokeville, Wyoming. The sport pilot and passenger were not injured, and the gyrocopter sustained substantial damage. The gyrocopter was registered and operated by a private individual as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of accident, and a flight plan had not been filed. The local flight departed the private airstrip at 0700.

According to the pilot, while performing maneuvers south of the private airstrip, he felt no response when he applied left cyclic, and the gyrocopter "was stuck in a moderate right turn." The pilot initiated an emergency descent back to the private airstrip. During the approach, the pilot was unable to regain control of the gyrocopter, and it impacted terrain while sliding to the right. The gyrocopter rolled over to the right and came to rest on its right side.

Post accident examination of the gyrocopter by Federal Aviation Administration inspectors revealed the gyrocopter sustained substantial damage to the main rotor blades, fuselage structure, vertical stabilizers, and horizontal stabilizer. A cyclic push/pull tube was fractured consistent with damage sustained during the impact; no additional anomalies were noted with the flight control systems. The examination revealed no evidence of mechanical malfunctions or failures that would have precluded normal operation.

more here

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20180611X10452&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=LA

Question for you guys closer to the coal face than I.

Sorry for the link but it’s easier to see the exchange in views than me re-post here (see the pinned comments to the video). But my question is - the NTSB are seemingly casual if the owner of N640BE suggests. I guess he has no reason to tell it anything or anyway than it was - and he physically flew the part to Poland himself.

Control failure is clearly unusual although not unknown.

Anyone got any inside knowledge with this case?

Did he or the passenger drop an item in the cockpit that jammed the controls? Did an item of their luggage come lose and jam the controls. Other options no doubt exist too

If you look at the document index on the NTSB you will see a statement from a named FAA inspector. He inspected the wreckage. He found no signs of control defects other than accident damage.

Read the report. Read the summary. They checked. This pilot will not be the first pilot to disagree with the report into their accident.

If you have no faith in the official report then you may as well dispense with those inspectors and staff and save the tax payer money.

Yes I hear you and you can see the pilots views in his comments. Who knows in May 2020 - but he did fly half way around the world to the manufacturer- just seems quite unusual concern / reaction.

Edited to add:- With the spec of the aircraft the question of appropriate licence is questioned now. Its a real can of worms. Great job NTSB.

Last edited:
Question for you guys closer to the coal face than I.

Sorry for the link but it’s easier to see the exchange in views than me re-post here (see the pinned comments to the video). But my question is - the NTSB are seemingly casual if the owner of N640BE suggests. I guess he has no reason to tell it anything or anyway than it was - and he physically flew the part to Poland himself.

Control failure is clearly unusual although not unknown.

Anyone got any inside knowledge with this case?

When can we expect the other films you refer to?

You mean on the aircraft themselves? Not sure tbh matey and I think having covered one you've cover them all in terms of the Tercel style - cockpit, motor options and general layouts all seem from the information I can see as being fairly similar 915 motor aside. Probably i'll get something out for one of them next week sometime.

Some additional insight on my long running Xenon Zen1 Tercel blog too.

Some additional insight on my long running Xenon Zen1 Tercel blog too.

Steve any Fly Argo activity yet?

Thanks Steve - can I quote some of your info in any film? Also Greg as I've not flown one can I use your insight into the dynamics of the aircraft?

Greg - as you are aware the current situation is less than clear.

Looking at some recent data I received from a source in Poland I can see some machines that would appear to have been built by Fly Argo although they are officially registered as Celier Xenon IV - the construction number of the machines in question now show as "FA" prefix which I *assume* relates to Fly Argo - photos of these same machines show some Fly Argo logos.

If you look at the Fly Argo web site they do refer to their history via Celier and also show copies of type certification and licence to produce aircraft issued to CA now transitioning to FA. More here

They also have an "Announcement" refer to their sole right to produce the Xenon IV model with reference to some others producing similar gyros.

Twists within twists - no doubt further twists will come along in the future too !

Last edited:
Phil - "Thanks Steve - can I quote some of your info in any film? "

I'll say no thanks to that idea.

The story of this design is far from clear and whilst I have received a lot of help and insight from numerous involved parties I am confident I do not have the full picture and I doubt I ever will. Think smoke and mirrors.

Thanks Steve - can I quote some of your info in any film? Also Greg as I've not flown one can I use your insight into the dynamics of the aircraft?
How can I help?

Phil - "Thanks Steve - can I quote some of your info in any film? "

I'll say no thanks to that idea.

The story of this design is far from clear and whilst I have received a lot of help and insight from numerous involved parties I am confident I do not have the full picture and I doubt I ever will. Think smoke and mirrors.

Smoke and mirrors is right and I think there are more mirrors than people realize

Hey Greg - just picked this up.. Just any impressions from flying / operation. Anything new / innovative or there to snag. Just be useful to give that colour.

Hey Greg - just picked this up.. Just any impressions from flying / operation. Anything new / innovative or there to snag. Just be useful to give that colour.
Hi Phil

I will table my findings, I appreciate that my comments may upset certain parties? I table that I have accumulated hundreds of flight hours in Xenon and have worked extensively on these gyroplanes having done in depth work on two and a complete nut and bolt rebuild on one taking it apart completely.

RDY Complete rebuild
RGB replaced mast and ext work on the electrical system
RGA removed mast and U/C rebuilt rotor head and complete inspection.
So three different units with some very common faults in build and quality?

Mast cracks on the upper RH mounting point I have seen this on all three units above and on a further two units reporting the same defect at a local club, This is caused by BAD workmanship short simple!, it seems the factory have not heard that deburring a drilled hole and removing the swarf prior to assembly is a engineering norm? this 6mm hole if left with swarf is the reason the torque (11-12Nm) is false and this final and very stressed point is subject to movement causing the crack, add that they factory failed to install a washer to increase the area of the pressure for the mounting point, is an unforgivable practice.
I found on RDY that the wire tie security was installed (from the factory) the wrong way ? in fact pulling the bolt lose! this prompted a full tear down, because if the wire security tie was wrongly installed in a spot we can see what have they done inside the tunnel where we cannot see?
The build quality was what I would call ‘very home made’ with a number of parts seem to have been made with basic hand tools with little attention to detail, the reticulation in the tunnel and behind the panel was mess in all three examples, I found the fuse box cumbersome and difficult to access, (who puts a fuse box behind a panel when one can with little effort build a hatch) The Polish do!:)
The workmanship on all three is substandard and IMO no quality control? No uniformity in the wiring or assembly all three are just different, almost as if being built by three different companies? These are factory-built units not 51% owner build. No attention to detail with the Pitot tube, in short, a job you would expect from a person who completed school in a special needs educare.

The factory maintenance manual is typical from a place that has no clue in English and they get confused between torque values on part X in chapter A and refer to same part in chapter B with a different torque value??:oops: The replacement schedule is also a huge thumb suck with no science behind it? TBO component time (as an example the Teeter Bolt)o_O

Flying it doors off above 60Mph is very uncomfortable. The master pump coming on as you put on the main switch with no way to shut of the pump in flight is a safety concern for me?

I could go on for hours about what I feel is wrong…..

That said let’s move onto what these guys got right, again my findings and I respect we all have different opinions.

It is the Gyro with the best visibility, the window by the feet is great and one would be forgiven for thinking you’re sitting in a real Helicopter during flight.

Xenon is no more difficult to fly than any other side by side (myself rated on Cavalon, M24 as comparison)

She is a very docile lady in flight and light on controls with a landing speed that is very predictive, in the right hands a slow almost zero forward roll is easily achieved on landing.

No heavier on fuel than the other side by side Gyroplanes, the big thing is the cabin space, its inflight feel is very R44 with a nice spacious cockpit, bigger than a C172 and the R22 as a comparison.

The airspeed the factory claim is optimistic IMO with a real-time cross-country speed of 75Mph being more reasonable with moderate fuel consumption. Yes you can take it 85-90 but fuel consumption suffers and 100MPh is possible but I don’t think Xenon is comfortable at that IAS.

So its big (and lets admit is a as ugly as a Pig) but that aside it’s a machine that is rewarding to fly, for colder Wx I think it’s the ticket

In the right hands its gem to fly and throwing it around is easy and a very rewarding to the pilot.

Last edited:
This is the photo of the gyroplane after the accident
Screenshot_20180920-093710_Gmail.jpg

Thanks Greg i'll get that written up, some great colour.

Looks pretty beaten up, and lucky to walk away. As I said the accident has grown arms and legs since my YouTube piece on the Tercel/AirGyro/Xenon generally with the owner of this aircraft very angry at the job the NTSB did and then Alvaro coming back about the pilots license privileges vis variable pitch prop - which I guess if you inspect the aircraft becomes an obvious feature? So it doesn't matter who you believe (the rep for the aircraft or the pilot) both highlight the failings of the NTSB. Poor show actually.