N90HM Magni 24 Illinois - 16.10.23

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Todays FAA ASIAS summary shows another gyro

IDENTIFICATION
Date:16-OCT-23
Time:18:15:00Z
Regis#:N90HM
Aircraft Make:MAGNI
Aircraft Model:M24
Event Type:INCIDENT
Highest Injury:NONE
Aircraft Missing:No
Damage:UNKNOWN
State:ILLINOIS
DESCRIPTION
Description:GYROCOPTER LOST POWER ON DOWNWIND AND CRASHED 100 FEET WEST OF THE RUNWAY, MOUNT STERLING, ILLINOIS.

I met this person a couple months ago when I saw a gyro fly over. I went to the local airport and he was just putting her away. Was a nice red M24. Hopefully no injuries as reported, he seemed to be a nice guy.

To keep people from jumping to conclusions Magni N90HM is listed as powered by a Rotax 914 UL and the owner has had Sport Pilot endorsements for powered parachute land and gyroplane since 9/24/22.

The owner may not have been the accident pilot.

Last edited:
To keep people from jumping to conclusions Magni N90HM is listed as powered by a Rotax 914 UL and the owner has had Sport Pilot endorsements for powered parachute land and gyroplane since 9/24/22.

The owner may not have been the accident pilot.

Should have used a Yamaha but I agree that if you are on downwind and you cannot make the runway, you got to redo what you think is your pattern size.

We ALL need to spend more time ...checking our engine-out routines - CAN??? we make the runway /taxiway from our usual circuit patten?

Test yourself OFTEN & in different wind conditions , various altitudes, - +/- passenger ...all will affect the distance to a successful landing ...and especially do NOT fixate on making the hard surface ... our gyros can land almost anywhere with open approach and reasonable surface at very slow end speed & no-roll!

- YES I also do not practice these skills near-enough!

Through the grapevine heard it was NOT an engine problem. Still trying to gather more details.

We ALL need to spend more time ...checking our engine-out routines - CAN??? we make the runway /taxiway from our usual circuit patten?

Test yourself OFTEN & in different wind conditions , various altitudes, - +/- passenger ...all will affect the distance to a successful landing ...and especially do NOT fixate on making the hard surface ... our gyros can land almost anywhere with open approach and reasonable surface at very slow end speed & no-roll!

- YES I also do not practice these skills near-enough!
I landed every time at an idle. Three real engine outs. I made perfect landings each time. One off field two on airport property. I practiced engine outs from multiple altitudes and positions in the pattern. I also practiced many off field situations.

If you can't make the field from downwind, you seriously need to rethink your pattern size and shape.
Yes, but sometimes you need to adjust when the pattern is busy. And sometimes the wind means it will be tough to make the runway, for example a strong cross wind. That said, you should always have a landing spot you know you can make.

Perhaps it's my glider pilot survival instincts, but a crosswind from the direction of the runway will induce me to fly a closer-in downwind, with my nose aimed somewhat toward the upwind side to resist drift. I like to keep the field always in power-off range regardless of conditions.

Patterns should be moved, shaped, compressed, or adjusted to suit the prevailing winds, or you're just asking for trouble. That's what all that FAA ground reference task stuff is meant to prepare for, I think.

Last edited:
Preliminary report for N90HM

Accident Number: CEN24LA013

Date & Time: October 16, 2023, 13:15

Local Registration: N90HM Aircraft: Magni M24 Injuries: 2 Minor

Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation – Personal

On October 16, 2023, about 1315 central daylight time, a Magni M24 gyroplane, N90HM, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Mount Sterling, Illinois. Both the pilot and passenger received minor injuries. The gyroplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. According to preliminary information, the experimental gyroplane was on downwind for runway 36 at the Mount Sterling Municipal Airport (I63), when the engine sustained a total loss power. The pilot did not have sufficient time to attempt an engine restart and performed a forced landing to a flat grass field. During the forced landing, the gyroplane rolled over and sustained substantial damage to the rotor system, left horizontal, and vertical stabilizer. During the recovery of the gyroplane, the smell of automotive fuel was present with soil discoloration around the area of the fuel cap. The gyroplane was equipped with a Rotax 914 UL reciprocating engine. The gyroplane was retained for further examination. Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information Aircraft Make: Magni

Aircraft Category: Gyroplane Amateur Built:

Yes Operator: On file Operating Certificate(s) Held: None

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan Conditions at Accident Site: VMC

Condition of Light: Day

Observation Facility, Elevation: KUIN,766 ft msl

Observation Time: 13:54 Local

Distance from Accident Site: 18 Nautical Miles

Temperature/Dew Point: 16°C /6°C

Lowest Cloud Condition: Few / 3400 ft AGL

Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 13 knots / 18 knots, 310°

Lowest Ceiling: Visibility: 10 miles

Altimeter Setting: 30.11 inches Hg

Type of Flight Plan Filed: Departure Point: Mount Sterling, IL

Destination: Mount Sterling, IL

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Minor

Aircraft Damage: Substantial

Passenger Injuries: 1 Minor

Aircraft Fire: None

Ground Injuries: N/A

Aircraft Explosion: None

Total Injuries: 2 Minor

Latitude, Longitude: 39.986285,-90.803982 (est)