No stab and no hands

A FW stall/spin accident roughly parallels a gyro tumble only if the FW is tail heavy. Then, like a gyro tumble, it is unrecoverable whatever the altitude.

I don’t believe fixed wing pilots receive stall/spin training in tail heavy aircraft.

I am more comfortable not having to even consider a power push over should my rotor hit a severe downdraft and I cant react quick enough on the throttle.
Stan

Stan, I understand that you and some others that have been told so, believe you need to worry in a HCLT machine about encountering a severe downdraft and the machine will automatically PPO. I understand you believe this.

The problems is that your belief is unfounded. In real life that is not what happens. In real life the HCLT Gyroplane flys well and even stable through even storm fronts, as I have flown through on a few occasions.

I have hit updrafts and downdrafts so hard that I was up and down 100 feet in seconds, and not even once did the Gyroplane feel like the nose wanted to drop and I had to save my life with a rapid stick motion. Not once, and I'm here alive to testify to it. It took no great skills to survive.

As I have said here before, CLT and LCLT have advantages for new pilots, but HCLT machines still fly as well as they ever did. Look, you can push at a little cardboard gyro all day with a pencil, and you can learn something and support a principle that a strong gust will nose you over, but in the real world it just does not happen like that.

Even if you were to encounter such a strong downdraft, the very instant you start to loose lift gravity takes affect, pulls you down keeping the blades constantly loaded. It's really that simple, and in the real world that is what happens. Gravity is the one thing you can count on all the time.

You guys believe what these pencil pushers tell you if you want, but they are not telling you the real story. Sure, what they say about CLT and LCLT machines are true, but the stuff they are feeding you about HCLT Gyroplanes is simply not how it is in the real world.

This is all I really wanted to say. Reality is different than what you are being told, and you should try and learn the true facts.

Stan, I understand that you and some others that have been told so, believe you need to worry in a HCLT machine about encountering a severe downdraft and the machine will automatically PPO. I understand you believe this.

The problems is that your belief is unfounded. In real life that is not what happens. In real life the HCLT Gyroplane flys well and even stable through even storm fronts, as I have flown through on a few occasions.

I have hit updrafts and downdrafts so hard that I was up and down 100 feet in seconds, and not even once did the Gyroplane feel like the nose wanted to drop and I had to save my life with a rapid stick motion. Not once, and I'm here alive to testify to it. It took no great skills to survive.

As I have said here before, CLT and LCLT have advantages for new pilots, but HCLT machines still fly as well as they ever did. Look, you can push at a little cardboard gyro all day with a pencil, and you can learn something and support a principle that a strong gust will nose you over, but in the real world it just does not happen like that.

Even if you were to encounter such a strong downdraft, the very instant you start to loose lift gravity takes affect, pulls you down keeping the blades constantly loaded. It's really that simple, and in the real world that is what happens. Gravity is the one thing you can count on all the time.

You guys believe what these pencil pushers tell you if you want, but they are not telling you the real story. Sure, what they say about CLT and LCLT machines are true, but the stuff they are feeding you about HCLT Gyroplanes is simply not how it is in the real world.

This is all I really wanted to say. Reality is different than what you are being told, and you should try and learn the true facts.

So Dennis are you saying a HCLT can't PPO due to a severe downdraft? If so what supporting documents do you have that supports your claim?

Second question. Why would you say "CLT and LCLT have advantages for new pilots?" Why wouldn't they also be an advantage to a seasoned pilot as well?

I ask you a few days ago about HCLT machine where you said there are no advantage to flying a HCLT aircraft. If a CLT or LCLT is a safer aircraft why would any pilot want to fly something that has a know defect?

Before you assume wrongly as you did on my first question I'm not here to support any machine. I'm here trying to find some facts. I see many people on this board that says such and such and then supply their supporting documents of why they say what they do. I would think with the years of experience it appears you have you would have supporting documents by the car loads.

I've known several F/W pilots in my years of flying that have got away with several unsafe practices but they were lucky. I'm trying to decide if gyros are safe. And if so what type of gyro is the most risk-free.

Leon
kc0iv

Dennis: I enjoyed my HTL Air Command very much. I taught myself to fly it and I flew it in all kinds of wind and it served me well. I then had the same experiences in my RAF2000....

I also loved flying that machine. I flew with confidence but always had that thought in the back of my mind about an unloaded rotor,,,but and I honestly believed my type of flying would make it VERY unlikely that I would encounter such and event.

I always wanted to completely build my next gyro...and the SparrowHawk was exactly what I was wanting to go to.

After flying mine now for 170 plus hours....I can without a doubt say its the easiest machine I have ever flown. I actually had to deprogram some subtle reflexes that were now not necessary to fly. I am far from a superb pilot..but just an average one that flies by the seat of my pants. These machines talk to you and there just isnt much for me to do while flying.

I will let you aeronautical minds argue which is best....but if I am flying ignorantly blissful with my CLT, then whats wrong with that? I am willing to bet though that I am not flying in bliss...but in reality I am safer.

Dennis....please...I dont want this to escalate into a pissing match....if it does I will just bow out as this forum has enough of this garbage as it is. I have always respected you and what you have done for the gyro community. I wanted an Air Command for years....and after flying one absolutlely loved it. Loved it so much so that I had to fly year round and I like heated cabins.

I have seen you in person clear back in 1985 at the Shelbyville, Il fly-in demonstrating the Air Command. You definately are a gifted pilot and a good promoter for this sport.

Stan

Stan

Dennis,

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs.

On one had we have the "pencil pushers" that can show us the physics of PPO, PIO and stability. They don't call names, make threats, belittle people and are more then willing to openly and rationally discuss their findings, ideas and proofs.

Also, we have the NTSB data, the fact no CLT machine has ever PPOed and dozens of witnesses to PPO events all fatal.

On the other hand we have you. You will post no claims of data, you will harass and threaten those that ask you to explain your claims, the only data you will post is chest-beating about your accomplishments, you give no indication of credentials of engineering, you use gyroplane design terms unappropriately, claim to have your own "well established terms" but can not show us any use of them other then your own and expect us to risk our lives, the lives of our friends, the lives of our passengers and the health of our sport on a few of your flying experiences.

humm.....

Tables turned.. whom would you go with?

This is not ment as an attack but simply to paint the picture in hopes that you will enter a discussion of facts rather than ego.

If you want to convince anyone here of your claims you are going to need to be rational, cooperative, and be willing to discuss data, science, learn as well as teach and stop attacking people that ask you to simply explain your claims that go counter to some very basic phyics and are supported by significant physical evidence.

Does that not sound practical to you?

When Cierva started putting rotors on airplane fuselages, it was to eliminate stall/spin accidents. And it did.

Wouldn't it be better to just design out the PPO tendency?

An excellent point I wish I had made.

Cierva designed the gyroplane to be the safest aircraft in the world.

Now, ironically, thanks to poor training, cheap-quick build time attracting hard-headed idiots and unstable gyroplane designs we have the worst safety record in aviation.

Poor Cierva must be rotating in his grave.

There is NO reason not to design out flaws, no reason not to make a gyro fulfill it's intended destiny.

The flaws were not in the gyro to start with. The flaws came about through ignorance of physics.

Don't let ignorance keep us down.

Last edited:

I wanted to say something......

Attachments

• No stab and no hands
    misc15.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • No stab and no hands
    funny-picture-7625815231.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
I don’t believe fixed wing pilots receive stall/spin training in tail heavy aircraft.

That is because a tail heavy aircraft will not recover once the spin has started Chuck, it has something to with physics.

Or so the pencil pushers told me.

I can't believe this B.S. conversation is still going on, we finally are in a situation where the manufacturer of one of the most accident prone bad designs has finally closed their doors and here we have another supporter of poor designs claiming it is all a lie about physics.......

......it is hopeless.

I can't believe this B.S. conversation is still going on,
Same ere Chuck, beggers beliefe dont it. :)

I wanted to say something......

Ha! Very good!

Although the pancake bunny is the most on topic and clear message reply the boobs are the more pronounced statement....

Dennis, as an experienced aircraft designer, I imagine you recall that any free body will experience an angular acceleration around its CM when a force is applied to it that does not pass through the CM. Such a force is the equivalent of a force of the same size and direction THROUGH the CM PLUS a couple (= torque) whose magnitude equals the magnitude of the actual force times the perpendicular distance from the line of the actual force to the CM. Your basic torque wrench arrangement.

High prop thrustline is just such an off-center force. When rotor thrust quits -- even for an instant -- the nose-over rotation begins in response to the couple. We all discovered (if we survived) that this process can be interrupted by rapidly reducing throttle and "floating" the stick to let the gimbal head do what it can. I flew my "classic" 447 Commander through some pretty gnarly stuff over the years and made it back by doing these things. The nose certainly went in the wrong direction: up for updrafts and down for downdrafts. Trying to hold airspeed was a chore, especially when you needed to reduce power periodically.

If the power setting is low enough, then, yes, the gyro will fly through substantial turbulence without flipping over or suffering a catastrophic loss of RRPM. If the pilot is sharp, he probably can get through it with the right technique. The whole affair has a Russian Roulette feel about it, however. (God forbid that you get smacked by a downdraft on a full-throttle takeoff with an obstacle ahead. That's frequently when the PPO's happen.)

I learned these survival techniques in the cockpit. I only later found out the "why" of it all, by pushing pencils -- and by dredging up half-remembered stuff from my freshman engineering courses a couple centuries ago. Until I dug into the topic, I thought all gyros flew this way and there was nothing anyone could do but learn the avoidance techniques and hope for the best.

It was quite an eye-opener for me the first time I flew my Dominator in some ratty air. To my surprise, I found that it held airspeed all by itself with no stick-floating and no need to reduce power at all. Damned if the thing didn't point into the up- and down-air like a dowser's rod, stick fixed. I had no clue that it would do that until I tried it for myself.

Harry, I think this responds to what you said, too. If the pilot skill is brought to bear early enough, the PPO can usually be avoided. Within a second along the time line, a PPO becomes non-recoverable, however. At that point, it simply has gone too far. It's not a matter of rotor RPM loss so much as a pitching rotation of the frame that becomes too fast for the rotor to follow.

You can see the process in slow motion in the PPO video from Japan that was linked here recently. The rotor gamely follows the airframe's flip for darn near 90 degrees before it gets hopelessly behind, probably stalls the retreating blade and whacks the tail.

How many of you are flying with a Mac or Hirth? If you are, you know there is a higher risk of a engine out landing. Is this acceptable or should all these engines be fazed out along with HTL machines? Pilots will continue to fly with this risk, so would you advise stopping this training if everyone switched to certified engines? We all take the risk of such a problem so we are trained to fly around anything we can not land on. Some have commented that it is possible for a HTL machine to PPO from a sever down draft, but did anyone teach you that maybe you should not be flying on a day when it is possible to have this type of conditions? I feel some of are forgetting that there are limits for Man and Machine.:)

Last edited:
Perhaps it might be easier to just go fly my gyro PLANE and.... (LONG POST)

Perhaps it might be easier to just go fly my gyro PLANE and.... (LONG POST)

not associate myself with the PRA or the RWF.

This is not a "Waaaah, I'm taking my toys and going home."

But this thread is, without a doubt, one of the reasons that we are on the road to failure.

What we end up arguing about (proven aerodynamic factors and semantics) is indeed detrimental to the progression of gyroplane design and our sport.

This is the only place where I have seen that flight hours are king, and that math and physics are deemed irrelevant in the face of experience.

While I personally have pretty thick skin, it does our cause no good to see the number of axe-grinding personal attacks and the steadfast determination to promulgate INCORRECT information. (read: to continue teaching voodoo aerodynamics)

A lot of the vocal people on this forum have divided into readily discernible camps - both with an axe to grind. Some come to the defense of others because they fly the same machine, whereas they would not otherwise based upon the logic of the argument. Some just want to "stir the pot." The problem is, there is no way to know, other than to read a few thousand posts, who is out there that you can trust.

The result is that the true Newbie will end up with a huge question mark when safety is concerned, because of the repeated arguments over CLT, PPO, Hstabs and PIO by highly experienced pilots.

By the way, I am new to this sport, but NOT new to aviation, nor to RW flight.

While I have no gyro experience from which to "argue" any points, the community I grew up in (Army Aviation) regarded logic and physics as King.

We use charts and graphs and mathematical data to prove points, and explain aerodynamic principles. We have friendly discussions, but in the end, it is about educating the newbies about what not to do. Also some "best practices," some lessons learned, etc.

Some of it is ego related, as those who maintain the sharpest academic and flight skills usually are the ones that drift off into esoteric arguments about whether or not centrifugal force is actually a force compared to centripetal force...but in the end, math is king.

The bottom line is that we educate based upon proven mathematical functions and performance charts... we explain ground effect, transverse flow, and "effective translational lift" with age-old charts. Blow-back, cyclic feathering, autorotation, vortex ring state are all phenomena we are are familiar with.

Experience alone cannot countermand mathematical formulae and physical constants. However, experience and math trumps math alone. In logical arguments as well as poker.

In other words, my combat experience in Iraq and experience as a maintenance test pilot are worth a lot when talking to newbies about how to perform different flight maneuvers.

However, if I were to start espousing some principles of aerodynamics that are markedly incorrect, two things would happen:

First, my reputation as someone to listen to would be forever destroyed. Even if I argue other points correctly, trust in me as a teacher would be lost if I continued to spread incorrect info. Word would spread quickly...

The second thing that would happen is that the IPs (instructor pilots) would circle me like sharks around a piece of meat, put me through the ringer, and if I were to fail any portion (academic or flight), my Pilot-in-Command status would be revoked.

Even IPs can disagree - that's why we have a Standardization IP - he sets the tone that all other IPs agree on.

You see, the important part is that the squabbles about what and how to teach are taken care of in a closed room. The discussion is often heated. but as instructors, and leaders, we all agree that once we leave the room, we all teach the EXACT same thing, and do not undermine the SIP, other IPs, and the Standardization Program for the unit.

As I am writing this, I can see that this forum is trying to act in the same way - but we have no ability to pull PIC orders.

The bottom line is this: Good judgment is the most important part of being an aviator, and a pilot in command.

That judgment neither stops, nor starts, when you are in the air. "Bozo no-nos" on the ground can ruin your reputation quicker than any flight maneuver. And that includes telling people the wrong things.

Until we can devise a method of identifying the knowledgeable people on this forum, i.e. the ones to listen to, we are at the mercy of renegades with axes to grind.

Perhaps I am not giving newbs enough credit - we are all human beings, and even with the limitations of typewritten correspondence as a medium, we can all recognize blowhards and people with axes to grind.

I don't know. I say that we create a sticky, and elevate those in this forum that use experience and math to teach, and refuse to partake in personal attacks. We should not limit it to just CFI's, as there are others with marked mathematical ability. Anyway, we make these leaders the "aerodynamic moderators" of this forum.

They can argue in a closed room, but when they leave, they all sell the same thing, the same way.

Standardization rules!!!

Anyway, I have this to say: I apologize if I offended anyone. I should not have referred to anyone by the term "dinosaur," as it has definite negative connotations.

How many of you are flying with a Mac or Hirth? If you are, you know there is a higher risk of a engine out landing. Is this acceptable or should all these engines be fazed out along with HTL machines? Pilots will continue to fly with this risk, so would you advise stopping this training if everyone switched to certified engines? We all take the risk of such a problem so we are trained to fly around anything we can land on. Some have commented that it is possible for a HTL machine to PPO from a sever down draft, but did anyone teach you that maybe you should not be flying on a day when it is possible to have this type of conditions? I feel some of are forgetting that there are limits for Man and Machine.:)

Steve,

1. Trust no engine. This is not something that can be easily designed out of. Apples and Oranges.

2. Engine Out is a RECOVERABLE incident. PPO is not. Apples and Oranges.

3. Down drafts can happen anytime any place. Air is invisable. Not avoidable.

Harry,

There is a slight flaw in your analogy though.
A gyro doesn't have to PPO, if it's properly designed.

MIKE, YOU CREATED THE "FLAW" AS THERE WAS NONE INTENDED. MY POST WAS MEANT OR DIRECTED AT THE IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING/TEACHING THE NEW AVIATOR. TO ME, THIS INCLUDES NOT ONLY THE BASIC FUNDAMENTALS OF CONTROLED FLIGHT BUT ALSO WHAT TO AVOID. i MADE NO MENTION AS TO GOOD DESIGNS, BAD DESIGNS.

When Cierva started putting rotors on airplane fuselages, it was to eliminate stall/spin accidents. And it did.

WAS THAT HIS SOLE MISSION, TO ELIMINATE STALL/SPIN ACCIDENTS?

But they didn't PPO either. They didn't even have to train to avoid it. Cierva (and Pitcairn, Kellet, etc.) made sure that the thrustline-to-CG relationship was taken into account, and that effective horizontal stabilizers were employed.

I DON'T KNOW. WAS "PPO" EVEN AN ISSUE BACK THEN...ON A TRACTOR APPLICATION?

If a gyro is capable of PPO'ing, the pilot must be trained to avoid any situation that would cause a PPO. But if they do get into such a situation, all the training in the world will not save them once the tumble starts.

I AGREE, MIKE. AND ALL THE FW TRAINING IN THE WORLD WILL NOT SAVE A STALL/SPIN IN THE LANDING APPROACH, ONCE IT STARTS.

Wouldn't it be better to just design out the PPO tendency?

I'm all in favor of all NEW designs to be PERFECT. Then, all accidents will either be due to a mechanical malfunction, pilot incapicitation or pilot error?!

From my previous post, referencing training:

We train/teach the new FW student as to what the "Stall Spin" on approach to landing is and how it developes. We impress on him that it is certain death, much as we impress that the "PPO" is certain death.

We teach 'em how "to avoid" the deadly "Stall Spin" and with gyro students we should be pointing out how the "PPO" can occur with the loss of rrpm due to erratic maneuvers as well as severe up/down drafts.

Training to stay clear of the "Stall Spin" and training to stay clear of the "PPO" are IMO, very rellevant.

Cheers :)

Tim it is called a weather report, checking the wind forecast is part of this and is required before every flight. If I have any doubt of the conditions I simply do not fly or stay close to home so I can set down quickly if needed. Even FW aircraft have crashed due to sever down draft conditions. Engine out is only recoverable if you can safely put it down and that is were training comes in. Learning how to prevent PPO is no different

Tim it is called a weather report, checking the wind forecast is part of this and is required before every flight. If I have any doubt of the conditions I simply do not fly or stay close to home so I can set down quickly if needed. Even FW aircraft have crashed due to sever down draft conditions. Engine out is only recoverable if you can safely put it down and that is were training comes in. Learning how to prevent PPO is no different

Steve,

Weather reports don't list downdrafts.

Downdrafts can happen in any weather without warning.

There is a SMALL "valley" where a highway cuts through the woods near my airport and anytime winds are 15mph-20mph you will get a 2-floor down elevator ride when you fly over it. Local pilots know this, visitors do not, nor do the weather forcasters.

You can practice engine outs. You can't practice PPO's (or at least more than once:party: ). You can only practice avoidance and sometimes you don't get enough warning to react.

Apples and Oranges.

I used to feel that I could always avoid a low g event until I had a severe downdraft experience on an otherwise calm day. It was remarkable in its intensity and length. We dropped about 800 feet.

I have since had two other lesser down draft experiences on calm days.

When I raced I found that if I survived a thing enough times I would get careless because I believed I would always survive it and it probably wasn’t dangerous. When others would crash I would believe that my skill set was such that it wouldn’t happen to me. Most of the time this worked out, sometimes this led to mishaps.

I suspect that I would be less likely to survive a mishap at altitude.

Thank you, Vance

Tim, You are flying in windy conditions, so you should be ready for such a situation. Like you said its an elevator ride and did not result in a PPO, why because you new what to do. How many newbies are going to be soloing in 15 to 20 mph winds with out training in it first?

Tim, You are flying in windy conditions, so you should be ready for such a situation. Like you said its an elevator ride and did not result in a PPO, why because you new what to do. How many newbies are going to be soloing in 15 to 20 mph winds with out training in it first?

Correct.

I think Vance did a better job of making my point.

As he and I have posted, downdrafts can happen anytime any place any weather and you can't see them coming.

...The problem is, there is no way to know, other than to read a few thousand posts, who is out there that you can trust...
When I became interested in gyros I found the old Norm gyro forum and started reading. It took me just a couple of hours to figure out that Chuck Beaty and Doug Riley are the ones I should pay attention to. Maybe that's just because I am a "pencil pusher" by nature, but I believe that anyone with half a brain can tell between experts and charlatans. I see many newbe's on this forum who "get it" very quickly and many "old timers" who don't seem to get it. The charlatans and the unsafe gyros are becoming marginalized very quickly. I see a trend towards safer gyros and I believe the gyro community will soon become more mainstream. Like with anything else, there will always be a fringe group sticking to the "old ways" - who cares.

Udi