How did your spouse react to you wanting to fly a gyro?

How did your spouse react to you wanting to fly a gyro?

• they wanted to fly too

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • they let me do what ever I want...it's my life

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • they were opposed, but I changed their mind by...

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I don't have a spouse

Votes: 10 15.6%

• Total voters

wfcentral

Just curious how most people got their spouse on-board with them flying a gyro. In addition to what could be seen as a death defying sport there is also the cost and time involved.

After rolling her eyes, she said get another life insurance policy then you can get one.

She is a nervous nellie. She has only flown once with me in a Cessna 152.

Scott

My wife enjoys flying and has several thousand hours in the air in at least a dozen or more

different types of fixed wing and my Gyro.And that includes 2 planes that I have built.

Best regards,

She said it was me or the gyro, I do miss her now and then !!

She said it was me or the gyro, I do miss her now and then !!
There's a country music song about fishing that is similar to your response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"I'm gonna miss her" by Brad Paisley

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So I ask my sweetie if she would mind if I could fly/buy a gyro.

without warning, She clocked me right in the eye!!
What??!!

I didn't see that coming.
So I let her cool down for a few days.

So I asked my sweetie if I could go for a ride on a gyro.

without warning, she kicked me so hard in the gonads I was on the ground in the fetal position for hours.

I didn't see that coming.
So I let her cool down for a few days.

I asked my sweetie if I could go to Mentone to look at gyros.

without warning, she

go to go here she comes!!

I have her convinced that they are MUCH safer than Motorcycles since no one is going to turn left in front of me......She loves gyros and thinks that fixed wings are boring.

My wife was afraid of life in general.

However as a master of human nature I knew how to motivate her to at least try.

They were barnd NEW certified FW aircraft when I was a Piper dealer still I knew she would not fly for fun.

But she loves to shop and travel in hotels sooooo

One weekday afternoon I ask why don't we go to Vegas tonight? About an 8 hour drive at 90 miles an hour by car.

She said sure but don't you have to meet clients in the morning?

Yes but we fly the Turbo Arrow and can be there in an hour and 1/2 and fly back by 1 AM and still be asleep when I usually go to bed.

She hummed, and hawed and I said you know they will open the shops for us as they have in the past and send a personal shopper with you if we just ask.

SOLD!!!
Then it was a offer to fly to the London Bridge and do some shopping there and still be back for the family outing.

She leaned to like flying as it meant hotels, a party, with shopping.

She must have 5,000 hours as a passenger.

I can envision a new seminar at Mentone wherein John hypnotizes the spouses into flying ...

You ask the question as if she had a say init.

She has warmed to aircraft tho, after see,n the mess i made of the gyro a few times, and i didnt hava scratch, she reasoned they must be safer than racen scooters.
I never seemed to be able to step off the KTM at 100mph without loosen sumthn, usualy skin.

If you even have to ask that question, you have got the wrong spouse. You have one short life to live here on this earth, make it good. Good luck with the spouse.

...changed her mind by flying with Dave Sease.

My wife of 58 years was asked should I buy a one or two place gyro. In all honesty she said she has flow all over north america with me and she does not want to fly anymore.
She had tolerated me taking her on motorcycle rides, scuba diving, taking my grandson sky diving, hunting and fishing for weeks at a time.
Bought a sport Copter Vortex and now she is now my camera person.
I am a very lucky man and love her dearly.

While my wife might change her mind after I get mine built and start flying, she has always known how much I love gyros and have wanted to own and fly one - I got the bug about the time we were married (which will be 25 years this June) - so I've wanted this for a LONG TIME. When the opportunity came for me to get the SportCopter parts, she said "Do it". I love my wife dearly and and consider myself very fortunate to have such an understanding spouse.

I can envision a new seminar at Mentone wherein John hypnotizes the spouses into flying ...

For those of us who can afford hotels and that kind of shopping....:eek:hwell:

I can't really complain - I need to finish some home building projects before starting. That's fair.

Cheers
Erik

That really cracked me up and if you asked my friends they would tell you I did used to hypnotize them in high school after a hypnotize came and I just watch him and remembers his words and movements. Dr Dean was his name and I used to do is act and hypnotize the smallest girl sometimes in front of her parents and have a 200 lbs tackle football player stand on her stomach while she was supported between two chair backs with her head on one and feet on the other.

So bring the wives... HAHAHAHAHAHEHehehehehe

For those of us who can afford hotels and that kind of shopping....:eek:hwell:

I can't really complain - I need to finish some home building projects before starting. That's fair.

Cheers
Erik
Well she took 1/2 of it and I spend most of the rest from 1990 to 2010 but it was one heck of a party while it lasted!!!

Well she took 1/2 of it and I spend most of the rest from 1990 to 2010 but it was one heck of a party while it lasted!!!

Hi John. That's great. Since you can't take it with you anyway, why not have some fun?:party:

Cheers
Erik

Last edited: