AR-1C 915iS to Texas (near Dallas)

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
Ron Willke came and got himself an AR-1C 915iS, the machine I flew last August to Mentone and back. He is already a gyroplane pilot but also owns a SLSA Searey and a Rans. In the 70's/80's he was a F4 and F16 pilot. At 76 years of age he wanted to fly gyroplanes for low and slow and owned a MTO Sport and then a Cavalon 915, hoping that his wife would fly in it with him but as usual wives rarely ever fly with their husbands regularly. So he sold the Cavalon and wanted a convertible tandem gyro so he could enjoy open cockpit as well as fly during winter a bit.
Ron took about 4 hours of transition training from me and did very well and after giving him some pointers on how to handle AR-1 open and enclosed, he caught on well. He flew it off to Texas from Tampa, Florida and now the gyroplane resides near Dallas, Tx.
Another 915iS AR-1 in the works going to Tennessee. We have a couple of kits in stock complete and 7 partial kits closer to completion.

Abid I presume this was again an AR1 without GWS:(
Mike

I was flying in an open cockpit yesterday in upstate NY. Does one really need a canopy to fly way down south in Texas?? :sneaky:

Gotta do something to keep those 10 pound grasshoppers from inflicting serious injury when you run into them.

I was flying in an open cockpit yesterday in upstate NY. Does one really need a canopy to fly way down south in Texas?? :sneaky:

I think Ron is mainly going to fly it as an open cockpit but wants the ability to put canopy on for a month or two. Sometimes north of Dallas it does get cold in couple of winter months

I'm still trying to figure out why someone's wife wouldn't fly with them? She gets upset when I take anyone else!

BTW - it was 20 deg F on the ground this day in N. AZ, and the canopy helps a LOT!

AR-1C 915iS to Texas (near Dallas)

I'm still trying to figure out why someone's wife wouldn't fly with them? She gets upset when I take anyone else!

BTW - it was 20 deg F on the ground this day in N. AZ, and the canopy helps a LOT!

View attachment 1160511

Your wife is something else. Trust me. I have been selling light aircraft for 17 years. The stats for someone getting someone like your wife are like 2%. No less than 1%.

28 degrees in an open AR-1 at 6,500 feet is my personal record... wasn't that bad, once you defrost... ;)

Ya, the last time I flew when it was actually below freezing the cable controls for my prerotator and rotor brake both froze. I guess there was some moisture in the housing. The rotor brake being stuck on "off" wasn't a huge deal, but the prerotator was – I could not take off again (or fix the problem) till the weather warmed back up.
A liberal dose of cable lube solved the problem for the prerotator, but I have not gotten around to doing it for the rotor brake, way up at the top of the mast.
It's a bit like fixing a hole in your roof... when it's not raining you don't need to fix the hole, and when it IS raining you don't want to go up and do it.