Got to fly the AR-1

rdalcanto

I have my Sport license in Gyro and about 30 hours in the Cavalon. I had the pleasure of flying the AR-1 while on a work related trip to Orlando. Because it is a relatively small operation, I was ready to find a gyro that looked more home built. Instead, I was really impressed with the quality of the entire package. The welding work looked stellar to my eye, and the fit and finish of the fiberglass was top notch. The roll response was very light and quick (better than the Cavalon). Landing was easy with rotor blades that seam to maintain energy really well, allowing me to really slow down. The Cavalon seems less forgiving, with less energy retention in the blades and a greater tendency to duck walk on the mains after touch down. If I was looking for a tandem, the AR-1 would be at the top of my list. I wish a Silverlight side-by-side would be available soon....

SilverLight Aviation are a great group and very good at what they do. Excellent machines.
AR-1 is a great all around gyro.....Cavalon is not for beginners.

rdalcanto;n1126631 said:
I have my Sport license in Gyro and about 30 hours in the Cavalon. I had the pleasure of flying the AR-1 while on a work related trip to Orlando. Because it is a relatively small operation, I was ready to find a gyro that looked more home built. Instead, I was really impressed with the quality of the entire package. The welding work looked stellar to my eye, and the fit and finish of the fiberglass was top notch. The roll response was very light and quick (better than the Cavalon). Landing was easy with rotor blades that seam to maintain energy really well, allowing me to really slow down. The Cavalon seems less forgiving, with less energy retention in the blades and a greater tendency to duck walk on the mains after touch down. If I was looking for a tandem, the AR-1 would be at the top of my list. I wish a Silverlight side-by-side would be available soon....

Those are some very insightful observations Richard.

One of the challenges of selling an American Ranger is the things you mention are not evident to most low time gyroplane pilots.

I am glad you made the opportunity to put her through her paces.

I continue to be impressed with your capabilities and thoughtful approach to living life well.

I am proud to know you Richard.

I also agree with Richard, the AR-1 is at the top of my list regarding flying and build qualities for a tandem. I'm always impressed with what they produce every time I see a new one.

They're designing an enclosed side-by-side as a brand new design (unlike the AR-1 which derived from the Apollo AG-1 which derived from a trike) which I'm excited to see when it's ready. Abid thinks one year but that sounds really optimistic to me. But they are working on one so it will happen at some point!

Yes we are in design phase of the side by side. Different design than most side by side variety out there. Some potentials have asked why we don't put a simpler side by side at a lower price point out there using most of AR-1 techniques and do this one later for a higher price point. Not sure that's the way to go.

Agreed, a side-by-side version of the AR-1 would be lame and unimpressive. What you want is a Cavalon-killer which I think your new design might be if it works out.