Almost bit the big one tonight...

Screw-In

Wow, glad you ok. Sound like you were behind the curve on TO and no altitude to correct. Very glad you ok.

Greg, Barry must have had the day off.

Screw-Out

I can see clearly now... umm what's with the cow?

Attachments

• soybeans 001.jpg
    soybeans 001.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
  • soybeans 002.jpg
    soybeans 002.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • soybeans 003.jpg
    soybeans 003.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
  • soybeans 008.jpg
    soybeans 008.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
forgot one

forgot one

Forgot one...

Attachments

• soybeans 013.jpg
    soybeans 013.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
Ron, you can count your gyros (and maybe your) life by a couple of inches. If you would have been slightly deeper into those plants, I believe you would have experienced a full power nose down landing. It would not have been pretty. You were very lucky.....Your decision to continue after hitting the plants worked out well, but I think I would have cut my losses and powered down, and pulled the stick back to sink on in at low/zero airspeed. These type of landings in tall fields rarely do serious damage.

strike one......poor weather

strike two.....poor visiability

strike two and three quarters..."I have taken off many times from another model field that is supposed to be only 300 foot long so I didn't expect any trouble." unreasonable conclusions and lack of experience in taking off in the rain in a gyro.

Thank you for sharing this with us, and hope it will prevent someone else from trying the same thing.

Scott Heger Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH

Last edited:
I cant for the life of me figure out how that thing had enough power and speed to lift its self out of that mess with all the drag that was created by the pull down effect from the harvest he was collecting! Maybe you should add that machine to your fleet of lawn mowers Ron! :D

Animal, I think by the time I got the rotors up to speed most of the water was slung off. I am mainly thinking it was just too short of a field to takeoff from without extreme attention paid to the takeoff run and with the rain in my eyes and the getting dark quick amount of light I had left, I think I just didn't do what I could have done. I know this strip is longer than the other one, and the grass was short and the ground still very firm.

Udi and Scott, I assure you that without any doubt had I aborted and tried to land in those soybeans I would have rolled the gyro over on it's side. When it got down in the crop the gyro yawed HARD to the right and it was everything I could do to keep it pointed straight. Full left rudder in a Dominator at full power is about 10 times the amount of rudder you would ever use in non-crop plowing flight and it was almost not enough. At the time and still now I think trying to keep the coals burning was the right thing to do once I got into this mess.

I will admit that I probably should have turned back in and landed or at least landed at another real airstrip that was about a mile away to check for damage and to get the soybeans off my gearlegs, but I just wanted to get back, and I kept it over open fields the whole way back.

Mark, I passed on that truck. The seller claimed it was in great shape and clean and so on, but when I saw it there was a mess of stuff I didn't like. Tailgate was bent up, expanded metal on gate and sides torn or bent in many places, Tires had alot of wear on them, radio didn't work, A/C controls missing the lever for the fresh or Max A/C selector, seats stained, drivers seat not the same pattern fabric as the other seat, scratches here and there in and outside of the cab, and so on and so forth. So that one is out and there isn't any other clean ones for sale for less than 16 grand, and new they cost around 25-26 grand. I don't want one that bad. Was thinking about it today and thinking about selling my heavy tandem axle trailer and getting a lighter single axle one - only need 14 foot long trailer - and maybe buying a new basic Chevy or Toyota work truck. There is several dealers advertising basic Chevy 1500 Silverados with V-6 engine A/C and automatic trans for around 14.5 grand new. Can't beat that!!! I would like a cheap old truck - like the one I got now - that I can own and it is paid for, but I need a newer truck that I don't have to worry about breakdowns. A 1500 with V-6 and a light trailer and I might get 12-14 MPG towing, and the Isuzus are only going to get around 8 or 9. That can add up over time!

I think Ron had to fess up with his close call before Barry found out and reported it.

Ron I can't help but feel with the dom being a LTL machine that,that helped you from noseing over also.I am sure if that had been in an RAF or stock air command, the results would not have been happy.
even with your machine you just got very very lucky. glad you are still with us and did not ding your machine.

OK Guys,
Thought I'd give Ron some space before I jumped in !!! Ronny, I'm glad your OK...who else could I make fun of all the time ??
Greg and John, I did have the night off....can't take Ronny too many days in a row !!!!

All's well that end's well and a good lesson learned.

Well...here it goes.........

Barry (at least he had enough gas !!!) K

Hey John, Chris, Greg, Phil, Mary, Scott, Ray and the rest of the Mama Gyro Club members....I'm going out of town for a few days....could ya'll keep an eye on Ron for me till I get back? I appreciate it...thanks!

Barry (ooooo that boy makes me nervous) K

GyroRon said:
Udi and Scott, I assure you that without any doubt had I aborted and tried to land in those soybeans I would have rolled the gyro over on it's side. When it got down in the crop the gyro yawed HARD to the right and it was everything I could do to keep it pointed straight. Full left rudder in a Dominator at full power is about 10 times the amount of rudder you would ever use in non-crop plowing flight and it was almost not enough. At the time and still now I think trying to keep the coals burning was the right thing to do once I got into this mess.
You may be right. This event is such a strong testimony for the durability of gyroplanes in flight. No airplane or trike could have kept going in these circumstances. You kept on going despite a very strong upset in yaw only because you had a rotor on top. Your skill I am sure was a factor too in getting you out of there.

Do you know what is the difference between a good pilot and a wise pilot?

The wise pilot stays out of the trouble that the good pilot can get himself out of...

I am not criticizing you Ron – I used to think I was invincible too when I was younger. Not that I am old, but my life helped me wise up more quickly.

Udi

Last edited:
Screw-In

Barry (Are you kidding) K,

I'll watch and take pictures, but I can't control him. :D

Screw-Out

Udi, Very well said!

Ron, Glad to see you are still with us and you chose to share your newfound wisdom with everyone. A lot of us have taken life cavalier from time to time and have been lucky with the outcome, most of us can think of a few times our decisions should have been the end using our own stupidity. Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but I can delete if needed.
I had a great kid work for me a few years back. He could do most anything as well or better than anyone I had seen. I took him flying and he became a great pilot. I took him on a ski trip with our family and he did become a remarkable skier. He amazed me after two years of skiing he looked like a pro. (yes we do ski in Arizona). His second year he was actually doing flips off jumps on the runs and had mastered skiing as far as I was concerned, truly a talented individual. To make a long story short, he had a mishap doing his now famous jump flips and while luckily he is alive I do visit him weekly and he is adjusting to the confines of his wheelchair. They have fitted it with a breath control system and he has it going forward, back and I am sure he is trying to figure out how to blow in the tube just right to make it pop a wheelee. Just the way he is. This isn’t meant to say anything you probably have not already thought. Just remember what Steve always states, Always look out for Murphy, He’s lookin to get ya! Glad things turned out good for you this time, Happy flying!

I think Ron was born with a lucky horseshoe up his a**! :)

Hey do you have any more of that "Murphy Repelant" that you wax your blades with? :D

Glad you are OK.

I am sorry to hear about your friend, Brandon. This is tragic. I know it could have happened to me too, in more than one occasion – but I was lucky. The question is - would your friend not do his ski flips had he known in advance he may become paralyzed? I think he would still do them.

I took my daughter skiing with me three years ago and we had lots of fun jumping on some moguls. After she broke her collar bone my wife made me promise we won't jump any more. I said ok. Last year in Italy, on our first day on the mountain, a heavy Italian man plowed into my daughter and broke her leg. She spent six months in cast and another three limping. Is this the end of her skiing career? I sure hope not.

Sometimes we take risks in life because whatever it is that we are doing is giving us pleasure and satisfaction (like flying gyros?). Most of my friends and family still think I am totally crazy because I am flying gyros. Accidents tend to make us more humble and eventually wiser. The trick is knowing how to manage the risks, without having to stop doing the things we love doing.

Udi

Brainbucket

Brainbucket

stuart said:
Ron, Glad you and your gyro are ok. If things had gone wrong a helmet could have made a BIG difference... stuart

Stuart,
Are you implying that Ron was flying without a "brainbucket"?

Last edited:
Barry,
Instead of,
"Barry (at least he had enough gas !!!) K"
it should be,
Barry (at least he had enough grass !!!) K

HOwdy all !
I gott'a give my 2 coppers worth here....
I have no doubt that if I'ed have tried that stunt I'ed still be digging out the Soy plants from my teeth ! .... but ...Ron has the benifit of experience.... he reacted to the presented curcumstances and came out the victor.... the soy feild is a bit worse for the ware but nothing what it would have been like has he tumbled into it ! ... You did good Ron ! your still alive and your craft still flys .... it was unfortionate that you let yourself in for that hair raising experience in the first place.... but no mater how ya cut it, You were realy lucky !....
We all do that .... make silly mistakes its part of being Human
doesn't mean your a bad pilot or a stupid individual.... Your just not infallable.... your Human like the rest of us ! .....
Did the cow eat the evidence ???? hehehehehe
looks like she could use the netrution ! heheheheheheheheh
all in all, Good save Ron ! now don't do dat again !
<GRIN>
C ya !

Bob....