Russian three-seat V-tail gyroplane flights. Then, suddenly, it went down!

Kevin_Richey

Staff member
Almost an hour of this unusual three-seat Russian V-tailed gyroplane shooting landings & doing takeoffs. Posted last October, 2023 on youtube. Link is below.

At one point, the pilot takes off & shows both hands off the cyclic (0:50:05) as he flies by the camera. Most of his landings are very smooth. I was impressed w/ the power available from the unknown engine, as well as the very capable prerotator that spins the rotors to such a high amount of r-rpms prior to taking off.

Towards the end of the video, a shirtless man catches a ride (0:52:41) in the third seat to back-taxy to the other end of the airstrip. The shirtless man is shown patting up the rotors (0:53:12) b/4 the pilot then does several runs back & forth on the runway to build up the rotor speed.

Appears to fly nose-high in all flight modes. A second person is seated behind the pilot's right side in most shots. There are a few scenes when he is flying solo.

Appears to have an engine that has oodles of power (two-up), a hydraulic prerotator, unknown rotorblades and a large prop (possibly well over 6' in diameter). No horizontal stab back w/ the V-tail, but has something similar to the Duane Hunn "stabilatator" up high behind the mast, just below the rotors, similar to what RAF gyros eventually went to.

Things go smoothly until about 0:58:25, when, from a far-off distance from the videographer, pieces are flung off the machine in flight, both to the left & to the right. Hard to tell if it was a wire strike or maybe have been the prop & reduction gear setup deciding they wanted to go elsewhere. Or, could the balloon shown in that area been tethered?

The gyroplane suddenly experienced a severe, sharp yaw to port & then rapidly descends w/ the nose yawed to the left as it disappears from view prior to hitting the ground. The rotors appear to be functioning & @ speed during that descent.

The final seconds of the video show the gyro on the ground, upright, w/ the rotors having acquired the usual bends & wrinkles from ground contact @ speed. It is a dark section of the final frames, but it looks like the massive prop is missing.

******************************************************************************************
An HONEST gyroplane kit manufacturer takes their customer's money & delivers the product that was paid for.

A DISHONEST, well-known, gyroplane kit manufacturer (located in the United States) takes his customer's money for a two-place SxS gyroplane & then delivers neither the product nor refunds the money to his customers, despite them waiting YEARS for him to deliver either one or the other.

In paragliding no matter where you go around the world for flying destinations , if you see a group of Russians flying in a thermal you try to stay well away and give them plenty of space … why?

Because almost invariably they have a macho attitude and nothing is a big deal including right of way, following the rules or at least bending them severely, or just doing dangerous things like flying right into and right through the middle of a gaggle of pilots thermalling… exact recipe for midair collisions.

I speak Russian fluently and have friends and family both Ukrainian and Russian and this is a common theme in that part of the world and for people that grew up there, specifically the males.

I’ve seen several instances of them getting into very gnarly situations and by some miracle making it out without major injury or dying and they always brush it off like it was nothing and they weren’t scared at all then bragging about it later… no surprise they bolted some stuff together and it fell apart. Or that they were flying 3 up on a home built and the weight and balance was off…. These are normal antics from MANY of them.

That being said, some of the most experienced, knowledgeable and overall best pilots I know in that sport are also Russian or Ukrainian.

Many I’ve met embody the phrase ; to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

/end rant

Last edited:
It looks as if the prop either came loose or came apart in flight. (58:26 mark)

Very very lucky to be alive. It appears to me to have been a redrive failure. I’m surprised he had enough control to keep them from going splat. The entire time flying his nose was always up giving the impression that it was out of CG and not hung right.

In paragliding no matter where you go around the world for flying destinations , if you see a group of Russians flying in a thermal you try to stay well away and give them plenty of space … why?

Because almost invariably they have a macho attitude and nothing is a big deal including right of way, following the rules or at least bending them severely, or just doing dangerous things like flying right into the middle of a gaggle of pilots thermalling straight through the middle of the gaggle.

I speak Russian fluently and have friends and family both Ukrainian and Russian and this is a common theme in that part of the world and for people that grew up there, specifically the males.

I’ve seen several instances of them getting into very gnarly situations and by some miracle making it out without major injury or dying and they always brush it off like it was nothing and they weren’t scared at all then bragging about it later… no surprise they bolted some stuff together and it fell apart. Or that they were flying 3 up on a home built and the weight and balance was off…. These are normal antics from MANY of them. That said some of the most experienced and knowledgeable and overall best pilots, know are also Russian or Ukrainian.
Many I’ve met embody the phrase ; to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

/end rant

And reading the accident reports, some at least think nothing of flying with a skinful of Stolichnaya...

Almost an hour of this unusual three-seat Russian V-tailed gyroplane shooting landings & doing takeoffs. Posted last October, 2023 on youtube. Link is below.

At one point, the pilot takes off & shows both hands off the cyclic (0:50:05) as he flies by the camera. Most of his landings are very smooth. I was impressed w/ the power available from the unknown engine, as well as the very capable prerotator that spins the rotors to such a high amount of r-rpms prior to taking off.

Towards the end of the video, a shirtless man catches a ride (0:52:41) in the third seat to back-taxy to the other end of the airstrip. The shirtless man is shown patting up the rotors (0:53:12) b/4 the pilot then does several runs back & forth on the runway to build up the rotor speed.

Appears to fly nose-high in all flight modes. A second person is seated behind the pilot's right side in most shots. There are a few scenes when he is flying solo.

Appears to have an engine that has oodles of power (two-up), a hydraulic prerotator, unknown rotorblades and a large prop (possibly well over 6' in diameter). No horizontal stab back w/ the V-tail, but has something similar to the Duane Hunn "stabilatator" up high behind the mast, just below the rotors, similar to what RAF gyros eventually went to.

Things go smoothly until about 0:58:25, when, from a far-off distance from the videographer, pieces are flung off the machine in flight, both to the left & to the right. Hard to tell if it was a wire strike or maybe have been the prop & reduction gear setup deciding they wanted to go elsewhere. Or, could the balloon shown in that area been tethered?

The gyroplane suddenly experienced a severe, sharp yaw to port & then rapidly descends w/ the nose yawed to the left as it disappears from view prior to hitting the ground. The rotors appear to be functioning & @ speed during that descent.

The final seconds of the video show the gyro on the ground, upright, w/ the rotors having acquired the usual bends & wrinkles from ground contact @ speed. It is a dark section of the final frames, but it looks like the massive prop is missing.

******************************************************************************************
An HONEST gyroplane kit manufacturer takes their customer's money & delivers the product that was paid for.

A DISHONEST, well-known, gyroplane kit manufacturer (located in the United States) takes his customer's money for a two-place SxS gyroplane & then delivers neither the product nor refunds the money to his customers, despite them waiting YEARS for him to deliver either one or the other.

Looks like the prop came apart or off

Once upon a time, exploding props were rather common in gyro-land. These incidents occurred on McCulloch powerplants.

The Mac, as anyone who's seen one run can attest, have a spectacularly rough idle -- probably because they weren't designed to idle at all. Moreover, each power pulse is two cylinders' worth, since the Mac is 2-stroke.

The prop hub, which used the friction of a matching taper between crank and hub to transmit power, would move about a little, get hot, and actually burn wooden props. The prop bolts would get loose, resulting in more movement and scorching, until the prop exploded.

Adding to the problem was Bensen's recommendation to use giant 1/2" dia. prop retention bolts. Those 1/2" holes removed a lot of wood that otherwise would help bear the centrifugal loads of a 4,000-plus RPM direct-drive engine.

It was possible to tame this beast, but several of them did fly apart. I don't know of anyone killed by this phenomenon, but that's a minor miracle.

Circa 1972 or so. I was stationed at Edgewood MD. I was an instructor at a Radiation Safety Officer course.

I was flying my Mac powered Bensen, with wooden rotor blades, off a rather rough grass strip.

I had just lifted off when there was a loud bang followed by the scream of the Mac over speeding. I snatched the throttle to idle, landed straight ahead, and toggled the ignition off.

As I sat on the runway with the stick forward, the rotor slowed quickly. As it slowed, both blades drooped lower and lower until just as the rotor stopped, both blade tips were almost touching the ground.

The exploding prop had cut both rotor blades completely through except for the steel spar strap.

Jim

Last edited:
Circa 1972 or so. I was stationed at Edgewood MD. I was an instructor at a Radiation Safety Officer course.

I was flying my Mac powered Bensen, with wooden rotor blades, off a rather rough grass strip.

I had just lifted off when there was a loud bang followed by the scream of the Mac over speeding. I snatched the throttle to idle, landed straight ahead, and toggled the ignition off.

As I sat on the runway with the stick forward, the rotor slowed quickly. As it slowed, both blades drooped lower and lower until just as the rotor stopped, both blade tips were almost touching the ground.

The exploding prop had cut both rotor blades completely through except for the steel spar strap.

Jim
Hope you wore your brown pants that day 😉

This Russian gyro appears to have an EJ25 (decent choice which is commonly available), but RAF2000 rotor (which discredits their engineering acumen).

Agree that the prop seemed to fail (notice the immediate yaw), as the V tail feathers are still intact. Glad they survived!

Very very lucky to be alive.
. Glad they survived!
Actually, we don't know that.
Showing the machine upright @ the end suggests they survived.
Their youtube video has comments turned off.

***********************************************************************************
"Any business that TAKES their customer's money is obligated by all laws of mankind to DELIVER the product they were paid for."

"A real MAN honors his contracts he enters into w/ his fellow men, no matter how painful or difficult it may be!"​

"A DISHONEST BUSINESSMAN that does not HONOR THEIR CONTRACTS fully deserves the SCORN of the human race."