2 place gyroplane options

NoWingsAttached;n1126413 said:
I got into gyros about 12 years ago and have been attending the major fly-ins at Mentone, Bensen Days and Wrens every year since then. I have never seen more 912 certificated engines than non-certificated. Any engine that is non-certificated is an alternative engine, be that what it may - Rotax included.

But let's lump those non-cert Rotax engines in with certified. Are we going to claim the Rotax 2-strokes are just as reliable and maintenance-free as the 4 strokes? I don't think so, the discussion is aiming at the 912 series and you draw the line with all Rotax 912/914 engines as being the premier choice and that there are far more of them than the other so-called alternatives.

Looking at all of the gyros at any major fly-in we do not count more Rotax 912/914 than alternative engines. The ratio is usually 8-to-1, if that.

You mentioned elsewhere you personally know of the an engine seizing and a Rotax C gearbox failure.

First, I am not aware of the seized motor you refer to, please elaborate as we would all like to understand this incident better. I have a question - or several - for you:

Did he have enough oil in the tank? Did he have the proper type of oil in the tank? Did he run the engine on pump gas - like it's supposed to run with synthetic oil - or did he run a lot of 100LL in it? How long did he go between oil changes? Who owned the engine before him? What kind of oil filter did he use? Did the oil filter fail get plugged up and stop oil flow? How many miles were on it in the sled before the engine was removed? Did the sled ever turn over, or get crashed? What kind of oil tank was he using, an after-market type or the stock one? Did he have the crankcase properly vented? Let's move on to cooling: What kind of radiator? What configuration was the cooling lines? Did he have the thermostat routed properly and did he use a suitable "T" fitting downline of it? Did the radiator have proper airflow? Pusher or tractor? Did he run it low on coolant?

Don't sell assumptions, sell facts - and have them all on the table before making claims such as that the "known" Yamaha failures you are aware of are a significant account of the percentage of flying examples.

Let's consider a REALLY HUGE difference in comparing any Rotax 912 series engines to the Yamaha alternatives. In your own opinion people buy them because they are cheaper. And not by a little, but by a whopping huge difference - as in you can buy two brand new 150HP Yamaha sleds and gut the engines from them for the price of a single new 115HP Rotax 914. But (again in your own words) people don't spend the money to buy new Yamahas. They have always - to date - bought used engines, most out of salvage shops with no license, no aircraft reputation whatsoever (except Mohawk and Skytrax engine sales).

Abid: how do you, or anyone else for that matter, quantify the reliability of an engine if you/we know absolutely nothing about its previous life in the snowmobile? Hey, guys crash those things, and hard - like into trees and other vehicles on the roads, and die. Those sleds get salvaged after being bought from insurance companies, etc. Impact damage can severely affect an engine. How about something much more mundane - like a guy turns over his sled on a steep sideways slope, rolls the thing over, and it sits there running inverted starving the top end of oil for several minutes. Suppose he quickly sells it to some unsuspecting shmuck, who guts it and sells the engine to a guy who puts it on an aircraft.

With a 912, its pretty easy to determine that the thing was used in an aircraft, and maintained as such. But no matter, in the used engine world it is always, "Buyer beware."

What I'm getting at here is that if you are going to compare a new Rotax to a used Rotax, which one are you going to consider more reliable?

If you are going to compare a used Rotax 914 to a brand new YG4i, are you still going to think the Rotax is the better choice?

Second, if you are going to cite gearbox problems, shouldn't we be quantifying that as a separate issue since there are MANY alternatives to the choice of what I, myself, consider to be a inferior gearbox for use on a 150HP Yamaha power plant - one which I have never used on one of my own Yamaha conversions? I sell adapters for them, and one customer has installed it with a Rotax C box simply because it fits under his cowl w/o modification. He did not do so on my recommendation.

Did this gearbox failure you refer to result in a forced landing? What other circumstances were involved in the failed gearbox - could it be that the gearbox was assembled incorrectly and that thrust washers were in the wrong place on the shaft? In other words, isn't it possible that this - again - was an installation issue, and not a problem with the mechanical reliability of the power plant?

Moving on, in my mind, there is more than one thing to consider when looking for an engine for whatever it is I am going to use it in: 1.) POWER. 2.) RELIABILITY. 3.) COST.

In that order. I am all about hotrodding whatever it is I am flying or driving. That's what I do, it has always been in my blood. Rotax doesn't fit my life-long agenda because it is too low on power, and once you do anything to it to make it produce more power it blows up too easily. Return on investment isn't there.

There isn't a single Silverlight, MTO, Cavalon, Magni, etc. that can come anywhere even close to the performance that comes with any Yamaha-powered gyrocopter, bar none. And if you think for one minute that simple engine, or even gearbox, failure is the only cause of gyroplane accidents, you can rethink your argument. We've all seen the video of the MTO trying desperately to take off with a passenger, only to crash shortly after takeoff obviously due to insufficient power. There are others. Somewhere on here there is posted a list of Rotax engine failures documented as engine failures, not installation mistakes. There are plenty enough to prove that Rotax is not any different than any other engine when it comes to failure.

If you really think think that the only reason people look to a Yamaha "alternative" because of cost, you are mistaken. This is obliviating the fact that STOL FW fliers are selling their ROTAX 912/914 engines left and right in favor of YAMAHA power. No Rotax can come close to the power advantage of any Yamaha, be it a YG3, YG4, or YG4i - and we are only just getting started. Pretty soon we are going to have blown Yammies flying the pants off of these aircraft at 200+ HP. We already have NOS tweaking the power 15% for STOL competitions - and these aircraft are regularly flown in the mountains, and from Idaho all the way to Oshkosh and back every year.

Where do any of you come off telling people on this forum that Yamaha power plants are unreliable, untested, unproven? Get your heads out of the sand, they have been flying for ten years and this is all you have to back up your claims that Rotax is more reliable than Yamaha - a gearbox that was found on ground inspection to have a burned bearing and some guy seized an engine in an otherwise undocumented incident that no one else in the world seems to know anything about?

Tell me you know of even one Rotax that makes 150HP reliably - all day long. Ain't gonna happen, dude.

People are turning away from low-powered Rotax engines, plain and simple. Not all, just the ones who don't agree that Rotax is the end-all to the conversation regarding choice.

Yamaha has proven to be every bit as reliable as Rotax while delivering incredibly more power, +50HP, at comparable weights and 1/2 the cost. You write of one engine seizure and then claim this is proof to substantiate some biased proclamation that Yamaha less reliable - even dangerous - as compared to Rotax?

Give me break, everything I've read here is far from any well-backed, expert opinion in any circle, at any time, regarding any choice.

You admit losing customers who don't want under-powered aircraft, Abid. Sounds just plain stubborn, perhaps you could re-think your strategy: Instead of considering a used Yamaha on one of your air sleds, why not consider a brand new one? You actually think this would cheapen your product line? I can't see how, and there are a LOT of people who will agree with that.

You would rather use a 300# Lycoming 150HP engine instead of a 165# 150HP engine on your new SBS because you're stuck in a mind set that refuses to let go of convention that is now outdated, and becoming more so every month Mohawk and Skytrax are in business.

This all boils down to opinion, as there are NO SUBSTANTIAL FACTS to back up any claims that Yamaha is less reliable than Rotax 912/14. Yamaha is without a doubt by now proven, by any standard. People here all opine, all go with what they think they know, and understand, and hearsay, from other folks. It is like any lie - tell it long enough and pretty soon it becomes the "truth".

OK, so no problem - leave the Yamaha market to the rest of us, we really don't mind. For every customer you turn away, Abid, who comes to you and wants to power the gyro to 150+HP at same weights as an anemic 100-115HP Rotax which is absolutely no more reliable and costs twice as much, we Yamaha guys get one more customer.

The future will tell the story, not the past and all of the Rotax engines ever sold combined since many decades ago. I look at it this way: OK, so yeah, Ford has outsold Porsche over the years. It's been in production far longer, too. But Porsche don't give a rat's ass. They still build and sell cars to the people with an eye to what they offer, still win races, and are every bit - if not MORE so - reliable. They don't sell as many cars, but ask them - and their customers - if that is what matters most.

I apologize for hurting your feelings. I really am and I usually try not to comment on engine conversions. I have been there in your shoes with Suzuki conversions. 1.5 decades ago and I understand the passion. I wish you the best of luck.
I will stick by my opinion. Its borne from 1.5 decades of hard learning in actual aircraft applications and also learning through knowing many aircraft owners with alternative engines installed and their experiences and in working with them. Tons of trikes, tons of Seareys, Zodiak kit owners, RV owners and now some Subaru and Honda converted gyroplane owners etc. When we talk about the powerplant, we look at the whole package for reliability, the engine, the PSRU (if applicable), the wiring harness for it and the propeller sets available for it. We do not separately try and talk about PSRU being separate and engine short block being separate in reliability. PSRU is an integral part of the converted powerplant and is critical to its reliability in aircraft application.

Certified or not certified is not the right use. The Rotax 912ULS and 914UL are ASTM compliant purpose built aircraft engines which are exactly the same as their Type Certificated brothers except they are assembled on an assembly line versus by a single mechanic for Type Certified version of the engine.

Your engines are and will remain a viable choice for some users. Purpose built aircraft engines will remain the choice for a majority of users however.

I do not know of a Rotax that makes 150 HP reliably because it was never designed to do that and trying to make them do that reliably is an exercise in futility, just as Yamaha engines were never designed to work in an aircraft. It is difficult for me to say that Yamaha engine conversions on gyroplanes produce much better performance than a Rotax 914 gyroplane (though I can only compare or saw different gyroplane models, one with 914 and other with Yamaha conversion). Their performance was about the same on the same day, at around the same time of day with similar payload in my opinion. Yamaha do cost less for sure and I do believe there is a place for it in experimental aircraft after all. I hesitate to recommend it for training purposes just as I would not recommend a Rotax 915iS right now for that purpose, but that's my personal opinion and nothing more. Please accept my apology.

Regards..

Last edited:
Wow. This has been a great thread, covering many aspects of development, testing, history, and experience. I believe it is fair to say that we've all won, being able to read all these posts, and I hope we'll be privelidged to read more, as this all unfolds. Thanks.

Frank

I got into gyros about 12 years ago and have been attending the major fly-ins at Mentone, Bensen Days and Wrens every year since then. I have never seen more 912 certificated engines than non-certificated. Any engine that is non-certificated is an alternative engine, be that what it may - Rotax included.

But let's lump those non-cert Rotax engines in with certified. Are we going to claim the Rotax 2-strokes are just as reliable and maintenance-free as the 4 strokes? I don't think so, the discussion is aiming at the 912 series and you draw the line with all Rotax 912/914 engines as being the premier choice and that there are far more of them than the other so-called alternatives.

Looking at all of the gyros at any major fly-in we do not count more Rotax 912/914 than alternative engines. The ratio is usually 8-to-1, if that.

You mentioned elsewhere you personally know of the an engine seizing and a Rotax C gearbox failure.

First, I am not aware of the seized motor you refer to, please elaborate as we would all like to understand this incident better. I have a question - or several - for you:

Did he have enough oil in the tank? Did he have the proper type of oil in the tank? Did he run the engine on pump gas - like it's supposed to run with synthetic oil - or did he run a lot of 100LL in it? How long did he go between oil changes? Who owned the engine before him? What kind of oil filter did he use? Did the oil filter fail get plugged up and stop oil flow? How many miles were on it in the sled before the engine was removed? Did the sled ever turn over, or get crashed? What kind of oil tank was he using, an after-market type or the stock one? Did he have the crankcase properly vented? Let's move on to cooling: What kind of radiator? What configuration was the cooling lines? Did he have the thermostat routed properly and did he use a suitable "T" fitting downline of it? Did the radiator have proper airflow? Pusher or tractor? Did he run it low on coolant?

Don't sell assumptions, sell facts - and have them all on the table before making claims such as that the "known" Yamaha failures you are aware of are a significant account of the percentage of flying examples.

Let's consider a REALLY HUGE difference in comparing any Rotax 912 series engines to the Yamaha alternatives. In your own opinion people buy them because they are cheaper. And not by a little, but by a whopping huge difference - as in you can buy two brand new 150HP Yamaha sleds and gut the engines from them for the price of a single new 115HP Rotax 914. But (again in your own words) people don't spend the money to buy new Yamahas. They have always - to date - bought used engines, most out of salvage shops with no license, no aircraft reputation whatsoever (except Mohawk and Skytrax engine sales).

Abid: how do you, or anyone else for that matter, quantify the reliability of an engine if you/we know absolutely nothing about its previous life in the snowmobile? Hey, guys crash those things, and hard - like into trees and other vehicles on the roads, and die. Those sleds get salvaged after being bought from insurance companies, etc. Impact damage can severely affect an engine. How about something much more mundane - like a guy turns over his sled on a steep sideways slope, rolls the thing over, and it sits there running inverted starving the top end of oil for several minutes. Suppose he quickly sells it to some unsuspecting shmuck, who guts it and sells the engine to a guy who puts it on an aircraft.

With a 912, its pretty easy to determine that the thing was used in an aircraft, and maintained as such. But no matter, in the used engine world it is always, "Buyer beware."

What I'm getting at here is that if you are going to compare a new Rotax to a used Rotax, which one are you going to consider more reliable?

If you are going to compare a used Rotax 914 to a brand new YG4i, are you still going to think the Rotax is the better choice?

Second, if you are going to cite gearbox problems, shouldn't we be quantifying that as a separate issue since there are MANY alternatives to the choice of what I, myself, consider to be a inferior gearbox for use on a 150HP Yamaha power plant - one which I have never used on one of my own Yamaha conversions? I sell adapters for them, and one customer has installed it with a Rotax C box simply because it fits under his cowl w/o modification. He did not do so on my recommendation.

Did this gearbox failure you refer to result in a forced landing? What other circumstances were involved in the failed gearbox - could it be that the gearbox was assembled incorrectly and that thrust washers were in the wrong place on the shaft? In other words, isn't it possible that this - again - was an installation issue, and not a problem with the mechanical reliability of the power plant?

Moving on, in my mind, there is more than one thing to consider when looking for an engine for whatever it is I am going to use it in: 1.) POWER. 2.) RELIABILITY. 3.) COST.

In that order. I am all about hotrodding whatever it is I am flying or driving. That's what I do, it has always been in my blood. Rotax doesn't fit my life-long agenda because it is too low on power, and once you do anything to it to make it produce more power it blows up too easily. Return on investment isn't there.

There isn't a single Silverlight, MTO, Cavalon, Magni, etc. that can come anywhere even close to the performance that comes with any Yamaha-powered gyrocopter, bar none. And if you think for one minute that simple engine, or even gearbox, failure is the only cause of gyroplane accidents, you can rethink your argument. We've all seen the video of the MTO trying desperately to take off with a passenger, only to crash shortly after takeoff obviously due to insufficient power. There are others. Somewhere on here there is posted a list of Rotax engine failures documented as engine failures, not installation mistakes. There are plenty enough to prove that Rotax is not any different than any other engine when it comes to failure.

If you really think think that the only reason people look to a Yamaha "alternative" because of cost, you are mistaken. This is obliviating the fact that STOL FW fliers are selling their ROTAX 912/914 engines left and right in favor of YAMAHA power. No Rotax can come close to the power advantage of any Yamaha, be it a YG3, YG4, or YG4i - and we are only just getting started. Pretty soon we are going to have blown Yammies flying the pants off of these aircraft at 200+ HP. We already have NOS tweaking the power 15% for STOL competitions - and these aircraft are regularly flown in the mountains, and from Idaho all the way to Oshkosh and back every year.

Where do any of you come off telling people on this forum that Yamaha power plants are unreliable, untested, unproven? Get your heads out of the sand, they have been flying for ten years and this is all you have to back up your claims that Rotax is more reliable than Yamaha - a gearbox that was found on ground inspection to have a burned bearing and some guy seized an engine in an otherwise undocumented incident that no one else in the world seems to know anything about?

Tell me you know of even one Rotax that makes 150HP reliably - all day long. Ain't gonna happen, dude.

People are turning away from low-powered Rotax engines, plain and simple. Not all, just the ones who don't agree that Rotax is the end-all to the conversation regarding choice.

Yamaha has proven to be every bit as reliable as Rotax while delivering incredibly more power, +50HP, at comparable weights and 1/2 the cost. You write of one engine seizure and then claim this is proof to substantiate some biased proclamation that Yamaha less reliable - even dangerous - as compared to Rotax?

Give me break, everything I've read here is far from any well-backed, expert opinion in any circle, at any time, regarding any choice.

You admit losing customers who don't want under-powered aircraft, Abid. Sounds just plain stubborn, perhaps you could re-think your strategy: Instead of considering a used Yamaha on one of your air sleds, why not consider a brand new one? You actually think this would cheapen your product line? I can't see how, and there are a LOT of people who will agree with that.

You would rather use a 300# Lycoming 150HP engine instead of a 165# 150HP engine on your new SBS because you're stuck in a mind set that refuses to let go of convention that is now outdated, and becoming more so every month Mohawk and Skytrax are in business.

This all boils down to opinion, as there are NO SUBSTANTIAL FACTS to back up any claims that Yamaha is less reliable than Rotax 912/14. Yamaha is without a doubt by now proven, by any standard. People here all opine, all go with what they think they know, and understand, and hearsay, from other folks. It is like any lie - tell it long enough and pretty soon it becomes the "truth".

OK, so no problem - leave the Yamaha market to the rest of us, we really don't mind. For every customer you turn away, Abid, who comes to you and wants to power the gyro to 150+HP at same weights as an anemic 100-115HP Rotax which is absolutely no more reliable and costs twice as much, we Yamaha guys get one more customer.

The future will tell the story, not the past and all of the Rotax engines ever sold combined since many decades ago. I look at it this way: OK, so yeah, Ford has outsold Porsche over the years. It's been in production far longer, too. But Porsche don't give a rat's ass. They still build and sell cars to the people with an eye to what they offer, still win races, and are every bit - if not MORE so - reliable. They don't sell as many cars, but ask them - and their customers - if that is what matters most.

Hello Greg,

You sure have a lot of words in you. Instead of the drivel you posted above, I would just ask that you prove your point. Please show us the fleet of identically configured aircraft engines you based your claims of Yamaha reliability on. Please no more round about logic circles" if it works here, it clearly will work there". Please just post the engine list along with its redrive and harmonic dampner and hours. This would prove your point. So far I see no EVIDENCE of your reliability claims, just lots of words.

Best
Jason

If it was actual engine manufacturer (for example Yamaha) who offered the engine to sport aviation or aviation, I think I'd be willing to try it. Obviously Yamaha does not want to offer engines nor support those engines in aircraft application, nor does Honda nor Suzuki. If Yamaha or Suzuki or Honda wanted to kick Rotax to the side, they could do that in a couple of years very easily but mostly likely with another purpose built engine of their own. They have no interest in aviation because numbers are too small.

Can someone tell me how many Yamaha conversions with a controlled production configuration (same engine model, same exact PSRU, same wiring, same ignition system, same exhaust system) are flying in aircraft and how many fleet hours have they accumulated so far in the fleet. Engines are moving parts assemblies and only way to see a power plant is suitable or not is hours of same production configuration accumulating hours.

No Title

When you say "aviation" to Honda, they picture this (not a piston engine for a gyro):

Attachments

• photo128725.jpg
    photo128725.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1
Just a remark on Rotax engines. The 912 and 914 each come in a certified and uncertified version. I claim that the market share of certified Rotay engines in the experimental aircraft world is close to zero. Incidentally, both versions are technically identical. It is just the paperwork and insurance that's different, I have been told. The certified versions are significantly more expensive than their uncertified brethren.

-- Chris.

Just a remark on Rotax engines. The 912 and 914 each come in a certified and uncertified version. I claim that the market share of certified Rotax engines in the experimental aircraft world is close to zero. Incidentally, both versions are technically identical. It is just the paperwork that's different, I have been told. The certified versions are significantly more expensive than their uncertified brethren. And if you do maintenance on them yourself you run the danger of quickly turning it into an uncertified engine.

-- Chris.

Many years ago, an aircraft company called Mooney put a Porsche engine in a plane, the model was M20L. It was a dog, and had reliability issues when compared to Lycoming and Continental. These airplanes are basically scrap now because you can't find replacement parts for the engines. The point being, there is seldom a substitute for a purpose designed product. Give Yamaha 20 years of perfecting their engine for aircraft, and I am sure they will be awesome. Let them prove a commitment to parts supply. Let them figure out how to notify owners of problems.

For now, I'd prefer something tried and proven in an aircraft. People can and do die when the engine quits. It's one thing to be flying over grass fields, and quite another to be flying over rough terrain, open water, or at night. The Rotax 912/914 series has proven to be quite reliable. There is a reason insurers don't touch aircraft with "conversion engines". There is a whole list. Mazda Rotary, Corvair, AeroVee, Yamaha, and Honda Viking. The reason is they are not proven reliable or unreliable as an aircraft engine. --You take your chances.

So, I have a question about "proven" reliable, versus guaranteed "understressed" engines. Maybe Rotax continues to make their engines in the same way, year after year, because they know the low frequency of repair needed for the form factor being produced. Maybe the Yamaha engines would also exhibit similar reliability, if they were setup to produce 40-50 less HP. Its no stretch to imagine that if "specific output" was limited in these conversion engines, and that if these less powerful engines were also run on testbeds to destruction, that they would also exhibit similar life expectancies to the Rotax models.

If I were to produce a "conversion engine" for aircraft, I might start with one designed to red-line at 12,000rpm, then detune it to max out at 9000rpm. Horse Power is a function of both max torque, and max rpm. Significantly decreasing max rpm, for example, guarantees less torque, thus decreasing horse power, and eliminates over-stressing of components. I've seen this proven in the GM V6 engine labs multiple times.

eutrophicated1;n1126522 said:
So, I have a question about "proven" reliable, versus guaranteed "understressed" engines. Maybe Rotax continues to make their engines in the same way, year after year, because they know the low frequency of repair needed for the form factor being produced. Maybe the Yamaha engines would also exhibit similar reliability, if they were setup to produce 40-50 less HP. Its no stretch to imagine that if "specific output" was limited in these conversion engines, and that if these less powerful engines were also run on testbeds to destruction, that they would also exhibit similar life expectancies to the Rotax models.

The point is that any engine is a pretty complicated assemblage of moving parts tweaked for a specific purpose. Changing one variable has more than one effect. And if you are making reliability your main goal, you still need gather many thousands of hours of experience on it tuning it to that purpose. Just look at how long it took Rotax to develop the 915 iS.

-- Chris.

No Title

eutrophicated1;n1126523 said:
If I were to produce a "conversion engine" for aircraft, I might start with one designed to red-line at 12,000rpm, then detune it to max out at 9000rpm. Horse Power is a function of both max torque, and max rpm. Significantly decreasing max rpm, for example, guarantees less torque, thus decreasing horse power, and eliminates over-stressing of components. I've seen this proven in the GM V6 engine labs multiple times.

In my opinion engine RPM is a significant factor in engine life but far from the only one. In my opinion inertial loads go up by the square of the speed so things like connecting rods and piston rings often prefer lower rpm.

I have found lower engine rpm often leads to higher cylinder pressure (from better cylinder filling because there is more time) that can be just as destructive as high rpm leading to problems with bearings, pistons and rings. The engine in my BMW M roadster will last a lot longer at higher RPMs.

When Robinson Helicopter de-rates a Lycoming engine they do it my limiting manifold pressure rather than engine rpm.

I feel heat is the enemy of long engine life and most engines are not designed for continuous high power output. Engines are not very efficient so more horsepower generally makes more heat. A typical car is using less than 20 horsepower most of its life.

It is unlikely a snowmobile engine will be asked to produce 70% power in 100 degree F weather.

Rotax goes to great lengths on the 914 to manage how it is used based on inlet temperature.

In an engine with a propeller speed reduction (PSRU) unit there is a quarrel between the engine and the propeller often requiring high idle rpm and/or some sort of clutch or soft drive. The manufactures of the toothed belt specifically recommend against using it in a PSRU and there have been a lot of problems with the toothed belts failing without warning leading to an unplanned landing.

A gyroplane because of its maneuverability puts big loads on the propeller shaft whether it is direct drive or through a PSRU because of the inertial loads from the prop that acts like a big flywheel. This has led to broken crankshafts on direct drive conversions and problems with PSRUs and their mounting.

With a Rotax PSRU there is a specific propeller maximum moment of inertia allowed.

In the world of certified aircraft a specific propeller is to be used with a specific engine to avoid this sort of problem. To change propeller manufactures on a certified aircraft requires a lot of paperwork and information.

I don’t know of a lot of high time conversion engines although I am sure they are out there.

In my opinion imagining an engine should be reliably in an aviation application based on how it works in some other application in not a reasonable fantasy.

If cost is the only objection to the 912 and 914 or Lycoming engines it is my observation that used engines can be had for a reasonable price, probably less than a completed conversion. I would stay away from anything that didn’t have a well-documented log book. Most gyroplane fly less than 50 hours a year so using and engine that is three quarters to TBO (time between overhaul, typically 2,000 hours less on some) still provides for many years of fun.

I have not seen a demonstration of the performance claimed by the proponents of conversions. It may be that engines designed for aviation have more conservative ratings. There are not a lot of gyroplane races so there is not much chance to demonstrate performance.

The Predator has a 260 pound 160 horsepower Lycoming IO-320. Her maximum takeoff weight is 1,400 pounds so the extra 100 pounds is 7% of the takeoff weight. In other words with 7% more power than a 160 pound engine I will get the same performance as the lighter engine. There are lots of used 260 pound 180 horsepower Lycoming IO-360s out there for a reasonable price. I have put about 1,400 hours on her Lycoming IO-320 and she is not showing signs of trouble (good compression, no metal when I cut the filter apart, no increase in oil consumption and good oil analysis).

Aircraft engines are not trouble free. My exhaust on The Predator has been an ongoing challenge (my fault for making it too light and the wrong shape) and I have had some challenges with the throttle and mixture cables. I have the magnetos rebuilt every 500 hours and have had some starter (3) and alternator (4) challenges in 1,500 hours. None of these have interrupted a flight. I have had challenges with fuel tank venting and once found a leak in the recently replaced correct fuel lines. I could not find it even with a magnifying glass but I could see the floor of The Predator was wet the next day. I replaced the line and have had no further leaks in about 1,200 hours.

I have had five engine outs in Cavalons with Rotax 914s over 500 hours of flight time. Floats twice and vapor lock with mogas three times. Only two led to an unplanned landing.

A gyroplane is a challenging environment for any engine and needs to be approached thoughtfully with care and knowledge.

Attachments

• photo128497.jpg
    photo128497.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, Vance. Some of what you said has left me scratching my head. Heh heh.

I have found lower engine rpm often leads to higher cylinder pressure (from better cylinder filling because there is more time) that can be just as destructive as high rpm leading to problems with bearings, pistons and rings. The engine in my BMW M roadster will last a lot longer at higher RPMs.

When Robinson Helicopter de-rates a Lycoming engine they do it my limiting manifold pressure rather than engine rpm.

I feel heat is the enemy of long engine life and most engines are not designed for continuous high power output. Engines are not very efficient so more horsepower generally makes more heat. A typical car is using less than 20 horsepower most of its life.

Guess I need more context, when thinking about "Lower rpm" being more harmful. Are we talking about 2000 rpm versus 8000? About WOT in both situations? About a turbo charger or supercharger being part of the engine configuration?

Also, please realize that I didn't specify how I would limit engine rpm. Limiting "intake" manifold pressure will certainly limit rpm. If you starve a "heat engine" of its energy source, you definitely will limit its output. There are multiple ways to detune or, as you put it, "de-rate" an engine.

This thread has caused me to check out the Rotax web pages for more stats on their offerings. I was surprised to find that they fundamentally only market one displacement class in the 900 series of engines. I was also taken aback when I found that the 914 has a slightly smaller displacement than the 912.

So, basically they're selling 82 cu. in. engines in multiple configurations, and all of them max out at about 5800rpm. So the 912 naturally aspirated model, puts out about 1 hp. per cube. Then, with the various additions of fuel injection and turbo charging, they'll go up to about 135hp. These are "not" understressed engines at all, in my experience. I hate to think what the oil looks like after being used at 70% turbocharged power after only 20 or so hours. I'm truely impressed.

By comparison, the 4-cylinder Yamaha YX1 engines I looked up are about 60 cu. in. displacement. They're descended from racing engines. I suspect that the motorcycles they came from put out significant'y more than 150hp. For people to expect these engines to run hour after hour at 70% power, which is at about 2hp. per cube, is unreasonable. No way I'd put my life on the line like that.

eutrophicated1;n1126554 said:
Sorry, Vance. Some of what you said has left me scratching my head. Heh heh.

Guess I need more context, when thinking about "Lower rpm" being more harmful. Are we talking about 2000 rpm versus 8000? About WOT in both situations? About a turbo charger or supercharger being part of the engine configuration?

Also, please realize that I didn't specify how I would limit engine rpm. Limiting "intake" manifold pressure will certainly limit rpm. If you starve a "heat engine" of its energy source, you definitely will limit its output. There are multiple ways to detune or, as you put it, "de-rate" an engine.

All engines are different.

I was writing about typical normally aspirated four stroke engines.

At the rpm that the horsepower falls off generally speaking the engine is not getting maximum cylinder filling and the power stroke takes less time. Most engines; not all; have the power peak well below engine redline. Operating the engine nearer the power peak leads to higher combustion pressures and temperatures.

In my opinion the three things that cause detonation (uncontrolled combustion) are time, pressure and heat.

Lower rpm by (say 20%) equals more time, more pressure and more heat.

Uncontrolled combustion shortens engine life dramatically.

What I wrote was that lower rpm can be just as destructive as high rpm and was trying to explain why I felt lowering RPM to de-rate an engine as you proposed may not be the best solution.

It is not important so I will leave it at that.

bencadenbach;n1126108 said:
I'm currently looking for a 2 place tandem gyroplane. I am thinking the Tango 2 is the way I want to go.
I don't want to pay the premium price for the Rotax because I'm not sure it worth the increased costs so I've mostly dismissed the machines with that power plant. I am looking to eventually conduct flight training in it so I believe it must be factory built.
Are there any other manufactures of 2 place gyroplanes that use noncertificed powerplants like the Yamaha?

So, Ben, did you get the answers you were looking for in this thread? Maybe not the ones you wanted, heh heh. I know I've learned a lot from this, and my background is directly related to these questions. I just needed some hard info. Thanks to all you guys for helping.

Guess I'll be on the lookout for a good used Rotax 900 series.

chrisk;n1126520 said:
Many years ago, an aircraft company called Mooney put a Porsche engine in a plane, the model was M20L. It was a dog, and had reliability issues when compared to Lycoming and Continental. These airplanes are basically scrap now because you can't find replacement parts for the engines. The point being, there is seldom a substitute for a purpose designed product. Give Yamaha 20 years of perfecting their engine for aircraft, and I am sure they will be awesome. Let them prove a commitment to parts supply. Let them figure out how to notify owners of problems.

For now, I'd prefer something tried and proven in an aircraft. People can and do die when the engine quits. It's one thing to be flying over grass fields, and quite another to be flying over rough terrain, open water, or at night. The Rotax 912/914 series has proven to be quite reliable. There is a reason insurers don't touch aircraft with "conversion engines". There is a whole list. Mazda Rotary, Corvair, AeroVee, Yamaha, and Honda Viking. The reason is they are not proven reliable or unreliable as an aircraft engine. --You take your chances.

Point well taken, Chris.

2018 is the final year for the Yamaha 4-cylinder 140-150HP engines I have come to love so much. Yamaha isn't going away, support will be available, but eventually - be it next year, ten years, twenty or even more - it will impossible to justify the YG4 aircraft conversion project any longer.

The news came to me early this summer from Canada, but it was not a reality I had to face until just this past week or so - a subtle, otherwise innocuous wound festering unacknowledged and subverted until...

...recognized only just now, after reading your post, and then coming to grips with just how deeply the news has affected me.

* I should not be here. m ( _ _ ) m