There are too many choices, so where should I start?

Readytofly

RWF Community,

This is a newbie question so please forgive me if it has already been asked. I'm just starting my journey to become a Gyroplane pilot. I've been talking to several CFIs about which one to buy and getting training. I get that I must fly each one to see which works best for me. I'm looking at the Magni M24 Orion and the Argon 915. My primary mission is to fly mostly for recreation in addition to some cross country in the Southeastern US.

I like the size and interior space of the Argon 915 | GTL but the company has not been around as long as Magni. I know it is the successor to the Xenon but several manufacturers use the same design. On the other hand, Magni has been around for 50 years and has produced over 1400 Gyros. I'm also considering some of the Tandem models like the M26 but not sure how much space they have versus side-by-side. I am 6'1" and 225 lbs.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I would appreciate some feedback and guidance.

Thanks!

It depends so much on your mission and your taste Nick.

Both of the gyroplanes you are looking at are very easy to fly and stable.

I prefer an open tandem compared to a side by side.

Most of the enclosed tandems I have flown are more yaw sensitive than I like and appear to be harder for a new pilot to learn to fly well.

I have not flown an M26. All the other Magni I have flown are easy to fly and easy to learn.

If you are heavy you will want to pay particular attention to weight and balance.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Hi Nick,
Welcome to this great world of gyroplanes….autogyros….eggbeaters…….and great people!

You are not to far from us here at the Carolina BarnStormers in Wadesboro, NC. We’re here at the Anson County AirPort and you are officially invited to our Spring Get Together this May 16-19. Lots of gyros, airplanes, flying, food and friends.

You are welcome over anytime at all…..we can introduce you to lots of different gyros…..get you some stick time…..and answer any questions you can think of!😊

Looking forward to helping you on your journey 👍🏻😎

Barry K
There are too many choices, so where should I start?There are too many choices, so where should I start?There are too many choices, so where should I start?There are too many choices, so where should I start?There are too many choices, so where should I start?
There are too many choices, so where should I start?There are too many choices, so where should I start?

It depends so much on your mission and your taste Nick.

Both of the gyroplanes you are looking at are very easy to fly and stable.

I prefer an open tandem compared to a side by side.

Most of the enclosed tandems I have flown are more yaw sensitive than I like and appear to be harder for a new pilot to learn to fly well.

I have not flown an M26. All the other Magni I have flown are easy to fly and easy to learn.

If you are heavy you will want to pay particular attention to weight and balance.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.
Thank you for your feedback!

Hi Nick,
Welcome to this great world of gyroplanes….autogyros….eggbeaters…….and great people!

You are not to far from us here at the Carolina BarnStormers in Wadesboro, NC. We’re here at the Anson County AirPort and you are officially invited to our Spring Get Together this May 16-19. Lots of gyros, airplanes, flying, food and friends.

You are welcome over anytime at all…..we can introduce you to lots of different gyros…..get you some stick time…..and answer any questions you can think of!😊

Barry K
View attachment 1160837View attachment 1160838View attachment 1160839View attachment 1160841View attachment 1160840
View attachment 1160843View attachment 1160842
Hi Barry, thank you for the warm welcome and would like to take you up on your offer.
Hi Nick,

Barry K
View attachment 1160837View attachment 1160838View attachment 1160839View attachment 1160841View attachment 1160840
Barry, thank you for the warm welcome! I will put the Spring Get Together on my calendar and try my best to see you in May.

Hi Nick,

Barry K
Barry check your messages sir. I sent you one. I feel ignored. OMG next thing you know I will be claiming to know where a set of 31’ Dragon Wings are. See you on Friday Dad and I will be at Bensen Days for only that day. Thanks Brother. Hope we get to go to get some Fajitas again. That was so fun.

Barry check your messages sir. I sent you one. I feel ignored. OMG next thing you know I will be claiming to know where a set of 31’ Dragon Wings are. See you on Friday Dad and I will be at Bensen Days for only that day. Thanks Brother. Hope we get to go to get some Fajitas again. That was so fun.
👍🏻🫵🏻😂🤣😂

Edit I misunderstood thought you were talking to me. I guess I let my little narcissist out. I apologize in advance for my snarky post. Good reading anyway I hope so I will leave it. If it’s offensive, I will remove it, or one of the moderators will. Enjoy.

Yes sir I have. Been flying in as a passenger in gyros since I was 4 years old. I got my ticket in 1995. Have probably over 300 hours not logged. I have flown in almost every non modern gyro there is as far as a two place. All of which the pilots giving rides knew me and my capabilities even as a young man. They would give me the controls and let me fly.

Air Command side by side
Air Command Tandem the first production model with Steve Graves. He too sat in the front and proclaimed “Kid you got this I’m just a passenger” we flew around for about 20 minutes. He asked who I was and I told him. He said almost the same thing no wonder you were born to do this. Later that day he had an engine out in that machine. He ended up crashing it. The hard coupled nose gear caused him to roll it on its side. He decided he would never fly a two stroke again. He went to the true flying dump truck the Marchetti.

Air and Space 18 with Don Farrington. He let me fly it around and said your pretty good Kid asked if I would like to shoot a landing. We were heading East and had a quartering cross wind. He pulled the power completely and I greased it in making a perfect almost zero roll landing. When we were on the ground he loosened his harness and said “who the heck do I have back there?” I said “I’m Mike Boyette” he said “oh no wonder you were born with rotor blades on your head, great job young man you are going to make a great pilot one day”. I said “thank you”. I cherish that moment because a few years later he was killed in that same machine from a crash at SunNFun.
Dominator single (obviously)
Dominator tandem
Dominator side by side. Only two ever made
Dominator Ultra Light powered by a 503 with model airplane electric motors mounted about a third out from the root. Good for about 80-100 RPMs and only one shot. No rotor brake, altimeter, no rotor tach, only airspeed and string. Very scary to fly as it weighed 7 lbs less than I was at the time.

Marchetti Avenger 1 stock the other modified with a tall tail.

Parsons two place with Bill in the back seat. He laughed and said you got this kid you were born to do this and actually took his hand off the back stick, which he never ever did because he lost his best friend from a bunt over.

Xenon with Mike Bantam when I was 345 lbs. flew great with us. Didn’t even know I was there. It’s a great flying machine with a very smooth rotor courtesy of that very flexible and long mast.

Magni with Greg flew great with us big boys. I didn’t like the stick pressure. It’s extremely stable but had the feel of a flying dump truck

AR 1 with Greg Spacola. Loved it except the hard coupled nose gear.

R-22 took a ride was given the cyclic and flew for an hour. Told I was a natural should pursue a career in flying. Couldn’t in the Army because of my vision. Which I had surgically corrected in 2009. The army began accepting people with Lasik and laser, corrective surgery recently.

Took a ride in a Stearman given controls told again I was a natural. We did a roll with me following his lead on the controls. We tried a loop but at the top he rolled out of it because he said he could see in the mirror on the wing I was turning green and didn’t want puke blowing back on him in the back seat.

Rode in old mono wing crop duster no dual controls in that but was sitting on a barstool welded to the air frame and was able to do 360’s while going straight and level. It also had a fake 50 caliber machine gun so I pretended to shoot things when we were flying over the city of Okeechobee at less than 200 feet. The guy was a Delta Captain in real life and never flew high while doing it for fun.

I have about 15 hours in a Taylor Craft when I was 14.

Cessna 177 Cardinal Dad was partners with Scott Lewis and we flew this plane all the time. Both Dad and Scott spent time teaching me the basics. They had confidence at 14 if something happened and I needed to I could land the plane with no problem.

I hope this level of experience meets your requirements for me to give advice and constructive criticism. Maybe the countless crashes and bodies I have helped find and recover would do it? I don’t know. I’m 52 years old this year and I’ve been around Gyro since I was born took my first ride when I was four in my dad‘s lap.

Seen many friends, make mistakes, crash, some not injured, some injured and some dead all because they thought they knew better than the old guys that gave them sound advice and instruction.

The new way, the right way right keep crashing them and blaming the old fixed wing pilots or the guy who didn’t have enough training. Blah blah blah all bad excuses for a flawed design. Plus too much pride to recognize the flaw come up with a better design and fix it. Just blame your customers and make money off there so called mistakes which I feel or caused by the flawed designs.

Just because you have some formal education in engineering but, not aeronautical, does not make you an expert in gyros. Too many in the “modern gyro” group just buy a gyro and decide they can make it better with no actual experience in gyros decide to steal someone else’s design change a few things to improve it and proclaim they are gyro engineers. They all have stole from each other. I find it so ironic that the new enclosed Magni tandem, resembles the ELA in appearance to me. The fact that the entire Euro tub movement is all a bunch of monkey see monkey do. They all copied Magni. Then they copy each other. They started making their gyros out of stainless because the other guy does it and are afraid their competitors will make fun of them. I feel this is ridiculous to use an inferior material in my opinion just because you don’t want to get made fun of. Meanwhile, the same air frame built out of either steel or 4130 would be just as strong lighter and a lot less susceptible to work, hardening and fatigue. Stainless that can resist the vibration and stresses that a gyroplane put on the air frame without the natural work, hardening fatigue ends up being very heavy. In my opinion this is done with only aesthetics in mind.

Then the same engineers decide to use Morse control cables for their primary controls without realizing that in different environments, they fail without any warning. Here in Florida me personally I have had probably half dozen or more more control cables, freeze up or break on boats because there’s no way to inspect them and verify that they are not corroded inside. I wouldn’t get out of the electric chair to fly anything that uses those cables for primary controls.

Rant over. These are all things that need to be said, but unable to be said, when my father was in business, because it would be unethical, and seem to be in some type of jealousy.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a newbie too and about to buy a Gyro. I do have some experience in aviation as I just sold my Trike to get into Gyro flying. The trike I owned was difficult to maintain because the manufacturer stopped making Trikes and a lot of the parts were hard to acquire because they were made quite a few years ago and not all still produced. It made it hard to troubleshoot problems. I would recommend you do some good research into the Argon and make sure you know you will be able to get support if you buy one. They have a lot of "manufacturers" and I'm not sure all of them are good apples. It does seem like some of them are! Parts and help fixing problems is very important :)

Well, I'm a newbie too and about to buy a Gyro. I do have some experience in aviation as I just sold my Trike to get into Gyro flying. The trike I owned was difficult to maintain because the manufacturer stopped making Trikes and a lot of the parts were hard to acquire because they were made quite a few years ago and not all still produced. It made it hard to troubleshoot problems. I would recommend you do some good research into the Argon and make sure you know you will be able to get support if you buy one. They have a lot of "manufacturers" and I'm not sure all of them are good apples. It does seem like some of them are! Parts and help fixing problems is very important :)

What trike did you have?

Nick, Welcome! I am 6' and around 215. I am a gyro CFI and Magni dealer and have flown plenty of big guys around in the M24 w /o problem. My biggest passenger was about 6' 6" and 285. No problem on an 90 deg day. It certainly didn't fly the same as solo, but didn't have any difficulty.

I suggest you fly em all. The M24 has been around for 15 years or so. Let me know if you want to chat or have questions.

Jon