Top Fuel Gyro

dabkb2

Dave Bacon
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582, 2 KB2 90Mac KB3 582
Total Flight Time
529 hours
I was flying at Ocitillo Wells off road park today. The elevation is about 200'. The Mac really likes having some air to breath. 25% less throttle is needed.

I have been weekending at Ocitillo Wells most of my life. We have video of my dad flying there in the late 60's. This is the first time for my 90 Mac with expansion chambers. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

El Mirage is almost 3,000' and where most of my flying has been done. 200' msl is a big diference. The rotors have alot more lift. Takeoff speed and power are considerably less, I got ballanced on the mains and it lifted off before power was added:rapture:

I started flying there with a 72. A couple years latter with a 90. Now with the expansion chambers. It is kind of like driving a nascar cup car on the city streets. A lot more power than you really need, but man it is FUN!!!

There was a fixed wing ultralight there today. He liked to fly at about 20 mph. It was hard to fly that slow, but I remembered low and slow(behind the power curve)flying at El Mirage and it worked great. Fly as slow as you want at altitude.

A nice side effect of having all the extra air is that it burns less fuel. I thought it would burn more, I am flying the same but with less throttle. Flying along just fast enough to maintain speed and altitude at about 1/4 throttle. The Excess of power is intoxicating. I am going to have to be careful to find the limits of what is capible with all this air.

Last edited:
Wishin I was with you there instead of where I am here!
Should be back in the air next weekend.
See ya bro.

Sounds like GREAT FUN, Dave!

Sounds like GREAT FUN, Dave!

Thanks for relating.

NICE...your Mac is giving you the ride of your life!

Last edited:
Hi David,

sounds you like you're having great fun. And, yeah, 3000' difference in altitude do make for a noticable difference in performance. The great thing about turbos is that they give you sea level performance up to high altitudes. (Are there any 2-stroke turbo engines?)

Have fun and enjoy the weather. Over here it is currently foggy with some drizzle.

-- Chris.

Ocitillo Wells is west of Brawley, isn't it? I seem to remember driving by it. That area would be fun to fly over.
Brad

Dave , sounds like you are having to much fun. Still interested in that hub bar? Sheri and I are still working on the boat in Guymas, we will be back next summer hope to have my gyro flying by then.

Hello Rick, still need to find more info on the hub. Have fun on the boat. See you in the summer.