PowerFin verses Warp Drive props

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
Well I finally got my new Warp Drive prop. With Dave's help it's on my gyro and I am flying it. The prop flys different then the PowerFin. I guess you trade off one performance for another, over all I like it better.

The PowerFin would climb a lot faster then the new one but it flys faster strait and level then the old PowerFin. I feel more stable in the new Warp Drive going 65 then when I was flying the PowerFin at 55 if I put in more power with the PowerFin to go faster I would climb when I did not want to and have to put the nose down and it felt unstable. With the Warp Drive I just go faster and not claim much at all and feel more stable with out putting nose down to compensate.

When taking off it takes a little more ground roll and power. When landing I come in a little faster then the other prop but landing actually was nicer because of the high airspeed, I just pulled back the stick when close and it came in real nice and landed very soft and short. I also checked my thrust with power on landing to make sure I would have enough to recover from a bad landing if needed and no problem still had the thrust to recover any misjudgment.

So overall I like it ;)

Thanks again Dave for all your help :yo:

In case there are still some stragglers out there that do not know.......Power Fin has closed its doors and will no longer manufacture the product. Orders placed up to mid August were honered and filled at that time.
The owner said he couldn't continue to run a profitable operation in today's market.

Prop weights?

Prop weights?

Tina, could some of those handling differences be because you added more weight out the back?

Graeme.

Your welcome Tina, fly safe.

Graeme Monro- I am not sure but I think the warpdrive is lighter, I know the blades are thiner.

The powerfin are thinner and more flexible. When you add throttle the prop flexes forward allowing the engine to gain more speed quicker and the prop does not work as hard against the air as the stiff warp drive does. The warp will give more bite so at cruising speeds when you throttle up, the warp sends you forward without the flex. Kinda like punching a car with slick tires, they get the engine up to speed and the tires catch up. Punching a car with new rubber, bogs the engine but sends the car forward. Once traveling you want all the traction or bite you can get. Getting out of the hole, a little slip may help.

Tina,
I only know David by phone, but he sure is generous with his skills in my book.

Tina, Dave..... To have a fair comparison of the two props, you would need to have the pitch of the blades adjusted for the exact same static rpms. Then compare.

Also Dave, the Warp drive is heavier.

Trust me, I prefer the Warpdrive, I think it is a better prop

The Powerfin is lighter and performs very well, but the Warp is far far stronger and more durable.

Mark, you're thinking of the Ivoprop. The Powerfin is pretty thick and wide at the root.

The Powerfin is lighter and performs very well, but the Warp is far far stronger and more durable.

Mark, you're thinking of the Ivoprop. The Powerfin is pretty thick and wide at the root.

Jazz,
you are right, the Ivo adj with the screw and it is the prop I had experience with. I use the Warp. Thank you for the correction.

The adjustable pitch Ivo is the sweetest adjusting method by far. It seems to me to be more rugged than the Powerfin but not as strong as a Warp. I'd guess the weight is in between too.

If you bought another prop, would it be the Ivo or the Warp? How much movement at the tip of the Ivo did you see? I looked at it once while doing a static runup and thought it was less than 2-3 inches so I didn't concern myself with it but I didn't have an engine support at that time.

Tina, Dave..... To have a fair comparison of the two props, you would need to have the pitch of the blades adjusted for the exact same static rpms. Then compare.

Ron- I have the rpm set at 6500rpm in flight, both the same and there is some very noticeable differences in flight characteristics, the warp wants more throttle on take off, less at cruise with a higher knt speed. It is kinda like going from a 31" tire to a 35" on a truck. the warp is a lot smoother, with the powerfin at 2000 rpm the prop would start to chatter, at 1800 the warp is smooth.

Also Dave, the Warp drive is heavier.
It could be, it just looks thinner and smaller.

Hello Tina - Dave.

Glad you guys like the prop change and are havin fun.

I too like my 68" Warp at 10.5 deg and 6800 eRPM.

Best Wishes and fly safe.

Dave, bump the idle up to over 2000 RPM other wise you'l be shopping for a new gearbox.

Rehan K.Janjua- do you have a 582?

Scott- you are right I need to bump it up to 2000, like everything else on a gyro change one thing and you have to change something else.

The adjustable pitch Ivo is the sweetest adjusting method by far. It seems to me to be more rugged than the Powerfin but not as strong as a Warp. I'd guess the weight is in between too.

If you bought another prop, would it be the Ivo or the Warp? How much movement at the tip of the Ivo did you see? I looked at it once while doing a static runup and thought it was less than 2-3 inches so I didn't concern myself with it but I didn't have an engine support at that time.

Neither-
This is the prop I have choosen for the Bensen Xtreme
http://www.xairamerica.com/ducen-main.html

"Neither-
This is the prop I have choosen for the Bensen Xtreme "

That is one sweet prop. Quiet and efficient. Does a great job on the Xenon.

Nice looking prop. Is it only available as 68"? Is is surprisingly light at 5.7 pounds for a 3 blade.