Old flying pics

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
My Dad found these old photos the other day. I scanned them, we'll see how they look. They are from about '92.
The top row is me and my Dad at Valkaria FL., my gyro, #5.
The bottom pic is our old flying group departing Rockledge FL. Me and my dad fore, Al Dorsey, Copter Bob patting up his rotors and Danny Wellbourne in back.

Attachments

• Old flying pics
    Me and gyro.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    gyro #5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    Dad and #5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    Rockledge departure.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
Great pictures. They have a 50's look to them. It is amazing how much change there has been in gyrocopters over the past 2 decades.

*JC*

Love seeing older pictures, it's our heritage.

:boink:Hey whos the ugly guy in the first pic?! Man that gyro with your pop in the picture sure looks clean and light. How did you ever fly it without a stab?
NOW you have to teach me to post pics!!

That's Steve McGowan isn't it? Or is it Amelia?
I didn't know you needed a stab back then. I loved the way it flew.
Even more so when I hung it under DW's.
I can embrace CLT entirely, still debating the H Stab, although I would never discourage one.

Last edited:
Great stuff! But put these through a program like Picassa (google.com and its free) and tweak up the contrast and color balance. These can look a whole lot better!!

More

More

A few more, the UH-1N was my main mode of transportation downrange at the AUTEC project, Andros, Bahamas. I got about 4 hours sticktime.
The annual toy run for tots. I usually ride in this. In the second pic, the bikes are still crossing the bridge way back in the background.
We used to fly over a lot of H2O.

Attachments

• Old flying pics
    UH-1N.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    Toy run from above.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    toy run forever.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Old flying pics
    over too much water.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
Great shots!

Is that an Arrow engine?

Yep its an Arrow 500. I have it and its 2 siblings in my shop if anyone is interested. One runs fine, one has gearbox problems. and the third is stuck. Got lots of other goodies too. Daddy needs a new Warpdrive!!

Thanks Tim, I hope someday to be able to take a shot rivaling yours! The scanning left the vertical stripes, but I'm actually surprised at the quality.
Yes, thats an Arrow, and I loved it, hated it.
Mike, that is C.B. When we flew out of Rockledge, that was the narrowest part of the Banana river on our way to buzzing the beach. I think Copter Bob Marlette took the pic.