Need Rotax 618 Info

can't find any such document dennis

I'll have to look. I'll post it when I find it. You adjust it by turning in and out the red disks on the plastic caps, which adjusts the spring tension.

In the meantime, read this for a little other info;

Rotax Rave valve maintenance and cleaning.

The Rotax 618 uses a system called RAVE to adjust the power output of the 618 engine at lower engine rpm., and like anything that moves up an down in a channel, which is effected by heat, and oil it requires maintenance and cleaning to work properly.
The 618 Rotax uses the spent exhaust gasses to open and close the RAVE valve, which is a simple guillotine style of valve. A small hole in the exhaust port applies pressure to a set of bellows, under load or at high revs the back pressure pulls the guillotines up and down adjusting the back pressure of the exhaust system. At lower rpm a spring is used to keep the valves closed.

If the valves are stuck open or closed they can effect the 618 in lower or higher rpm settings. If your engine revs fine at full power but is sluggish at the lower end then your valves are sticking open - not giving enough back pressure to the system.

If your engine is not putting out full power at top end but run fine from at an idle they there is a good chance your valves are sticking in a closed position, or failing to open all the way up.

Cause:

The major causes of sticking RAVE valves on the 618 Rotax engine are the type of oil used and the pitch of the propeller.

Oil - The RAVE valve system requires oils with a "high flash point," which refers to the temperature that an oil ignites at. Higher flash point oils are less prone to leaving oily residue on the guillotines, residue that builds up, hardens, and prevents proper valve action.

Too much oil is another problem. The 618 uses an oil injection system, to help prevent excessive oil input into the engine it is essential that the oil pump be set up properly.

Storage: Many of our craft get stored for periods of time. During these storage periods it is essential that the engines be stored properly. With fuels drained and engines lubricated.

Propeller:

The next major contributor to oil build up is the propeller. Too much pitch in a prop will lug the engine down, causing excessive build up in the RAVE valve system. The 618 likes to rev and Rotax recommends a setting of 7200 rpm full power straight and level flight. This can usually be set up by achieving 6800 tied down on the ground.

Cleaning: The RAVE valve system is not complicated, but attention must be paid when disassembling and reassembling the unit. A parts manual, and Polaroid pictures during disassembly are recommended.

To remove the RAVE valve unsnap the retaining spring (43), remove the cap (42), being careful not to loose the compression spring (40) use a 10 wrench or socket, to remove the nut (41) on top of the rave valve stem (21), remove bellows, (34, 36, 37) use an allen wrench to remove two allen bolts, remove housing with valve assembly.

When you have the slides out inspect them for carbon deposits. If present remove them with a find wire brush and cleaning solvent.

OK, Them dirty-dogs at Rotax deleted the 618 manuals off their website. I have one here somewhere I'll try and dig up.... good luck with that.

I also called CPS to buy another, and they also stopped carrying them, and only have one for their own use. They agreed to sell me a copy, so I ordered it. When I get it, I'll scan it and send it to whoever needs it. I'll let you all know when its available.

Exhaust

Exhaust

I might have some help on the exhaust.....I searched the entire country looking for one (I had an R&D that caused lots of trouble) and I finally expanded my search to the WORLD! I found the exhaust (new) in the UK and the manifold and elbow (new) in Australia. My contact in the UK is Lyn and his email is [email protected]. My contact in Australia is Mark and his email is [email protected]. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Picture 1 of 618 Install

Picture 1 of 618 Install

Here is my first picture of my 618!

Attachments

• DIGI0446.jpg
    DIGI0446.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
Picture 2

Picture 2

This is a side shot and shows the stainless steel bands and the standoffs that I had welded to support the muffler. They are attached to the muffler with U brackets and rubber shock mounts.

Attachments

• DIGI0447.jpg
    DIGI0447.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 4
Picture 3

Picture 3

This is a better shot from behind showing the standoffs and mounts.

Attachments

• DIGI0448.jpg
    DIGI0448.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
without silencer... i am gonna take apart the rave valves tomorrow... however they looked clean only a dozen hours ago. The compression on the machine is just great and I talked a little to lockwood today and am gonna look at a few more things and I will let ya know what I found. the 618 is a great engine and the power from a 71" prop is just amazing... engine just seems a little temperamental.

went out to the airport today and took the rave valve assembly apart and O BOY!! Those things were carboned up to the max. They were sticking like no other. I had assumptions that they were OK because Ron had the engine apparently running great at Benson Days before I got it.

After a full decarbon we did a static test on the ground and problem solved. No longer a decay of throttle when at WOT. I gained 500-600 RPM on the ground and the temps went down 150 degrees on the EGT's. That thing is making some insane horsepower now. I will put the smaller main jets in and get the EGT's back up to 1100-1150 from the 1000 they had with the larger jets after the cleaning. I was masking the EGT problems with larger jets to cool the engine. I am glad I tore em apart. They had obviously had a carbon problem for quite a while judging by what I saw. Thanks to Dennis for helping me out on this one. I had been flying with what I thought was a ton of power and now this will make a huge difference. I was flying with a simulated weight of 200lbs in the back seat and it flew great... now I expect much better numbers.

What kind of oil had you been using? (or Ron had been using :) )
Not to start another oil debate, but you should run a 2 stroke oil that is designed for rave type valve sled. That 618 makes BIG power, means BIG heat so don't cheap out on the oil.

Time for confession....

I never even looked at the RAVE valves in that engine.

I had a mechanical arrangement to raise the valves at the start of the flight to confirm their opening and they seemed to be opening and closing, so I never messed with them. Sounds like they weren't going all the way up, making for less than full power. This could explain why my previous 618 seemed to make more thrust than the newer one that Matt now has. The EGT's didn't change with the engine swap, so I didn't expect the RAVE valve to be a issue, I chocked it up to the fact that the old 618 had been bored over twice ( to max allowable limits ) and the new engine was low time and recently overhauled.

Glad you found the extra ponies Matt, if it now makes the power the first 618 on my gyro did, you will be really happy.

Matt, what HP is this engein ? size prop ? and what box are you running ?
Would you guy's perfer the 618 over a 2.2 Soob.?

Still kicking it around about what to use on my next build, (2-place) thanks billy

It is 75 hp Billy, and the only way to have good performance with it in a two place is to make the gyro as light and simple as possible. 400 pounds wet ( minus fuel ) is about the max weight you would want the gyro to weight if you plan to use the 618 in a two placer

Billy, The 618 weighs 119lbs and puts out an honest 73 HP.
So basically you are not having to use all your extra HP to fly the extra weight of the engine.

Tim, that sounds like it might be the way to go.
Rons gyro is kicking with the 3 cyl. on it.

Ron, What is the all up weight on the engein complet with prop and all??

Thanks to Dennis for helping me out on this one. I had been flying with what I thought was a ton of power and now this will make a huge difference. I was flying with a simulated weight of 200lbs in the back seat and it flew great... now I expect much better numbers.

Glad to been of some help. When I get the 618 RAVE adjusting information I'll post it.

Tim, that sounds like it might be the way to go.
Rons gyro is kicking with the 3 cyl. on it.

Ron, What is the all up weight on the engein complet with prop and all??

I don't know. MY gyro came out roughly 120 pounds heavier after the conversion, and this was with the addition of extra fuel tank, electric trim, battery for electric start, battery box, more fuel lines than before, more wiring than before, etc... etc... I would guess engine to engine, the Yamaha weights 40-60 pounds more than a 618 with electric starting

What kind of oil had you been using? (or Ron had been using :) )
Not to start another oil debate, but you should run a 2 stroke oil that is designed for rave type valve sled. That 618 makes BIG power, means BIG heat so don't cheap out on the oil.

I am using the AV2 oil now that CPS sells. It did make a difference by cooling the egts by about 50 degrees. The 50-50 blend seems to be what works best, and has the correct flashpoint. I think Ron used cheapo Havoline oil in it before. I did seem some cabon buildup around the rings and will have to do a top end overhaul in another 15-25 hours. The rings moved when poked but I am not sure how much they should move.