Mentone Runway Repair Fundraiser

Gyro Technic

Manufacturer
Aircraft
Gyro Technic GT-VX1 & GT-VX2
Please consider donating to support our sport for current, and future generations of rotorcraft enthusiasts for years to come!

Your donations are TAX DEDUCTIBLE! You will receive a receipt for your donation to submit with your taxes!

Donations can be made through Link below, or by visiting: www.pra.org/runway

Last edited:
PLEASE - send this crowd-fund request to ANY & ALL past & present ROTORCRAFT ENTHUSIASTS & ALL gyro owners and manufacturers!

STRENGTH is in numbers and conviction!

CAN WE GET 300-400 X $1,000 donors???? CAN we get 3000 passionate gyro lovers to chip in $100?????

AT this level of support ...the WHOLE runway and taxiway can get a quality 30year-life repaving job done BEFORE THIS YEAR"S CONVENTION!

PLEASE DO NOT DELAY!

SPREAD the WORD

DONATE - TODAY ...THIS WEEK !

TO DONATE ...please click on the link below the video in #1... ...every.org is the 501-3c crowd-fund-raising portal we are using. They send you a receipt and tax deductible proof of donation to you!
There are many ways to donate, C-card, direct bank deposit, crypto currency or shares! - all on the portal!

Thank you!! We are off to a good start!
Some clarification:
The video speaks of the 600' phase 1 area starting from the south end of the runway proceeding north to a location about even with the museum building.
The attached progress picture shows construction beginning just south of the taxiway.
We have options here:
Depending on the funds raised, we may wait to replace the displaced threshold on the south end, and save this for Phase 2 of the project.
We will utilize the donated funds in the most efficient and beneficial way possible.
Our deepest gratitude to those who have donated!
THANK YOU!Progress 4-30-24.jpg

BUMP -- and GREAT idea Kevin (James "Kevin" O'Kane)...I'm not sure of the few remaining Chapters how many are financial enough to contribute much!
$500-$1,000 from Chapters would be AWESOME!

While the PRA pays for the materials, the USMC and USN SeaBees could provide the manpower and expertease in rebuilding the runway! This was done for the privately owned Santa Catalina Airport on Santa Catalina Island in Southern California back in early 2019.

Wayne

Aero-News Network (ANN) reported today on their website about the runway project:
May 03, 2024

Mentone Runway Repair Fundraiser

Rough and Deteriorating Runway May Be Hampering Annual Fly-In Attendance​

"A real MAN honors his contracts that he enters into w/ his fellow man, no matter how painful or difficult it may be!"

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1996 & 97 we had a lot of help from the chamber of commerce and the county. They provided a billboard on US 30, school buses (with drivers) for hourly (?) daily runs between the airport and Warsaw, and the bleachers for the flightline.

Needing a BUMP again! The dismal first week of additions to our ANON initial pledges of $22,000 Is rather disheartening!

Can we NOT find at least 1000 rotorcraft lovers to kick in $100 each??? to get STAGE ONE FUNDED!????

Can we not get a few gyro clubs/PRA chapters to pass the hat and find a few $s to send?

I have emailed the USA reps of AutoGyro, Magni and ELA requesting a generous donation - THEY ALL have had past, and will get good future vendor exposure at our annual conventions!

A BIG THANK-YOU to those who stepped up and donated right away!
Your lead and great messages of support on the site ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

How many visit THIS FORUM daily? OF the several Facebook gyro pages - there are enough(1000s) to make little donations REALLY COUNT!

PLEASE DIG DEEP!

Has anyone priced out REMOVING the pavement and just making it a grass runway? Seems like that would be much cheaper. Just would need to mow the grass and roll it once or twice a year to keep it smooth.

I think it's hard for some people to want to invest in upgrading a runway at a airport that is used for one week a year, and only really used by those that want to attend the fly in...

I am sure there are people that would think the PRA convention COULD be held at a some other " county " airport where the runway is smooth and the airport and runway are maintained by tax dollars.

I do see the value in having the event at mentone, and do see some value of having the airport in the first place... But after years of being in support of the airport, I do wonder if the PRA really does need it anymore.

Sorry, I know this post doesn't do any favors for fundraising for a repave... But perhaps if you disagree with me, your counter points could help give more motivation for why people need to donate.

HI Ron, Thank-you for your support and very good leading questions!

Although the Mentone airport was purchased FOR a PRA annual convention home-base, ( LONG before my time in our gyro-community ), I am a bit aware of the past ANGST and controversies that purchase caused!

A HUGE FACTOR - was the massive effort to hold the convention around the country by local chapters, -as chapters & membership dwindled - the convention-hosting became too big a job! At our current membership and very few chapters left - the convention simply would NO LONGER HAPPEN!
When we had a "roving-convention" ...the public pressure to "NOT COME BACK" - to the hosting airport was almost unanimous! A week of gyros, noise & campers was something no airports (except Wauchula) - wanted to repeat!

MENTONE IS OUR GYRO /ROTORCRAFT AIRPORT - OURS- NO ONE CAN BOOT US OUT!

With the fabulous infrastructure at Mentone - 100 power/water RV sites, hangar space , air-conditioned classroom, Canteen, and a grass field for PPC's.( OR bad cross-wind landings option for gyros!). AND the great little Museum for rotorcraft WITH a decent bathroom facility - ALL THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE AT ANY OTHER AIRPORT!

At Mentone, a very small skeleton crew of volunteers can set -up and clean-up for a weeks convention and we have been doing so for these past "lean-years" - THIS IS ONLY POSSIBLE because of the base infrastructure at the airport!
Without Mentone - PRA & our annual gathering WILL DIE!

YES - we looked at the idea of turning it to grass - BUT ...as a non-profit(exempt from about $10,000K annual property taxes) - we need to maintain a public-use facility - although a private airport we need to be open to public use for the non-profit eligibility!

Currently there is significant use by local aircraft doing T&G,s and the local seasonal crop-sprayers (some who DO leave a nice $ contribution towards upkeep!). I understand if this were a grass strip - it would not be suitable and/ OR badly torn-up!

MENTONE AIRPORT IS NOT a one-week/year airport! - PLEASE get that FACT into everyone's SKULL!

IF EVERYONE WOULD LOOK AT THE VIDEO APPEAL THAT DENIS MADE, AND THOUGHTFULLY CONSIDER ALL THESE FACTS - I BELIEVE THE RE-PAVE OPTION, DECISION THAT WE YOUR PRA BOD (11) HAS MADE IS A NO-BRAINER!

Last edited:
Also found under "Gyro" on Barnstormers.com.
Click on the blue link to go there:

"NON-PROFIT ASKS FOR YOUR HELP! • PRESS RELEASE • PRA is asking for your help in donations for repaving their runway (C92) Tax receipt for itemizing. • POPULAR ROTORCRAFT ASSOCIATION • Contact Popular Rotorcraft Association A 501(c)3 Organization , - located Mentone, IN 46539 United States • Telephone: ---------- • Posted May 8, 2024"

A real MAN
honors his contracts that he enters into w/ his fellow man, no matter how painful or difficult it may be!

Respectfully, As someone who has been flying gyros and a PRA member for only the last 12 years . I understand this "ancient-history" animus from the "old-timers" in PRA, still lingers!

THE REALITY IS ... "for better or worse " - WE HAVE THIS GREAT AIRPORT & CONVENTION INFRASTRUCTURE FACILITY - NOW!

In the last decade - the old legacy gyro builders flyers have been overtaken by the newer modern factory machines! As in many aspects of LIFE - CHANGE HAPPENS!

MOVING FORWARDS - WE NEED TO FIND WAYS TO MODERNIZE PRA AND THE MEMBERSHIP !

Each year we have more new gyro pilots who have never been to a convention. The vast majority of these owners have very capable cross-country machines!
I think we need to come up with fresh ideas and solutions - framed in the REALITY of TODAY'S gyro community & QUIT WHINING about the past controversial decisions!

PRA was a $$$ org designed to promote Igor Bensen's product & support home-building gyro kits! THAT ERA IS GONE!

My first PRA, Mentone convention was in 2012- the "BIG 50th" - the attendance was fabulous! ( how many years past the airport purchase - was THAT??? - I don't hear any negativity coming from regular attendees that the flying in a same locale is boring!).

For change of flying venue we HAVE various events throughout the year - Bensen Days (FL) - although now gone due to the folding of the UT chapter - One of the greatest summer events was Rotors over the Rockies ...anyone willing to revive - THAT??? NC Barnstormers hold spring & Fall fly-ins at Anson County, TX has Anahuac in October and Chapter One the wonderful, KBFFI at El Mirage!

Mentone has - proximity to follow on from Oshkosh week. ( Intro-flights and training in a quiet rural airspace)
-Classroom forums and seminars to educate & inform.
-The luxury of power/water RV hook-ups to make for easy week-long camping!
-Onsite bathroom & showers
-Great rotorcraft museums - TWO - at the airport and the Bell museum in town!
-a well equipped kitchen and canteen to provide meals for campers.
- lots of space for vendors!
- hangar space to park gyros out of the weather!

NO OTHER AIRPORT CAN OFFER ALL THIS!
MANY PAST HOST AIRPORTS TOLD PRA - "DO NOT COME BACK" - eventually we ran out of places to hold a roving convention!

Mentone has - proximity to follow on from Oshkosh week. ( Intro-flights and training in a quiet rural airspace)
-Classroom forums and seminars to educate & inform.
-The luxury of power/water RV hook-ups to make for easy week-long camping!
-Onsite bathroom & showers
-Great rotorcraft museums - TWO - at the airport and the Bell museum in town!
-a well equipped kitchen and canteen to provide meals for campers.
- lots of space for vendors!
- hangar space to park gyros out of the weather!

NO OTHER AIRPORT CAN OFFER ALL THIS!
MANY PAST HOST AIRPORTS TOLD PRA - "DO NOT COME BACK" - eventually we ran out of places to hold a roving convention!

Why did the past host airports tell PRA do not come back? Anyone know? I was not into gyroplanes back then and probably for the same reason but just curious.

Why did the past host airports tell PRA do not come back? Anyone know? I was not into gyroplanes back then and probably for the same reason but just curious.
Abid,
That was certainly before my time too.
However, I can't imagine an airport that would want such an event.
Wauchula is an exception, with a very nice layout.

Same thing we have at Mentone.

Where else would they allow allow spectators in relative close proximity to the runway?
Allow spectators on the ramp area looking at the machines?
Have a "Bean Box" for flight demonstrations right in front of the crowd?
Allow flying competitions?

Would they allow rows of campers to spend the better part of the week right on site?
Would they allow use of their hangars for night storage of the gyros?
Would they want everyone using the bathrooms / showers in the FBO?

Mentone and the PRA have all that and encourage the more the better!

I was not part of the PRA when the airport was bought... That does sound like a shifty deal at best. I can see how it could have rubbed many wrong.
But that is past (along with those who made the deal....)

The facilities and grounds at Mentone are a dream come true for our members and our sport!

Those who are suggesting that the convention be moved around the US each year have surely not considered the logistics of doing such.
Are those suggesting such going to volunteer to handle all these logistics each year? Certainly not.

I feel fortunate that Mentone is only a 10 hour drive from Minnesota!
Everything else is about 24 hours for me.

Bensen days is awesome! El Mirage is awesome!
Why wouldn't we want to keep what I consider the best facility of all, alive and well in the mid-west?!?

We could then have awesome gyro events all across the US!

All Mentone needs is a fresh runway. That is it. Then it will be available for current and new gyro pilots for many, many years to come!

I simply can't see how this in not a "no-brainer" for every gyro pilot out there!
Denis

I've never been to a flyin - first time coming up next week at Carolina Barnstormers and I'm planning to attend this year's PRA Convention at Mentone.

I can't envision any similar events hosted here. Eric mentioned past big events in Llano, saw some photos.