Mentone Runway Repair Fundraiser

BUMP - I hope EVERYONE - sent emails/ texts WITH LINK to their gyro-friends & contacts over the weekend - to bring awareness of this fundraiser to as many in our community as possible! ( I sent to 50 by text from my phone and several emails!)

WE - YOUR PRA B.O.D - have done EVERYTHING WE CAN ....THIS IS A COMMUNITY EFFORT!

COME ON!

Last edited:
Without mentioning names, please post the individual amounts... this way people can see that every bit helps. Of course, the more you donate, the better...

By the way, I flew to the convention in 2022 in a gyro all the way from Los Angeles, and trainlered next year, so you can imagine there is some magic still left in the gathering of gyro heards...

Without mentioning names, please post the individual amounts... this way people can see that every bit helps. Of course, the more you donate, the better...

By the way, I flew to the convention in 2022 in a gyro all the way from Los Angeles, and trainlered next year, so you can imagine there is some magic still left in the gathering of gyro heards...
Donations range from $10 to $2,500. Any amount is welcomed and appreciated!
The list shows that there are many people who believe in the cause and desperately want to see the runway / convention revived!
We can make this happen, but we have a ways to go....
Deepest gratitude to all who have given!
Thank you!

Mentone Runway Repair Fundraiser

Excellent - thanks to ALL - I encourage EVERYONE to send a text to ALL gyro-owners in their phone -contacts to ask them to view the fundraiser link to the video appeal and consider a donation - even if they never plan to come to a convention - at the very least invest in our PRA asset for FUTURE GENERATIONS!! (I sent about 60 out - yesterday - I think this personal touch brings results!)
I also know of a $1000 donation (or two) - going by mail & check!

I emailed the USA reps for Autogyro, ELA and Magni - hoping they can give generous corporate donations - as they CAN afford the big$s for S&F/Oshkosh booth-space!

Last edited:
1715785100378.png

If RAF Wing Commander Ken Wallis was still with us, he'd likely have these comments:
"I say, old chaps, I've just finished having a biscuit and a spot of tea, when I observed the appeal from the Popular Rotorcraft Association for their runway repaving project.

The PRA is wanting to lay down a decent bit of bitimum asphalt at their home airport in Mentone, Indiana, USA. Let's throw our lot behind those Yanks by digging deep & send them some of our British pounds we have rattling around in our pocketbooks, shall we?"

Why, just the other day, I was gob-smacked as I discovered a few Sterlings tucked under some assorted bits in the boot of my automobile! I can add that to the lot!

A mighty good way we Brits could look at donating to such a good cause as the Mentone Runway Project is that we are only "returning" just a small bit of what His Majesty, King George took in when he was taxing those upstarts in the New-England Colony. That was before they got so worked up with the whole taxation-without-representaion lot! The Yanks foolishly wasted a lot of good tea when they dumped it into Boston Harbour!

Yes, I know...us Brits consider the Yanks an odd lot, but one has to remember that they sprang from the womb of Old Mother England herself. They can't help themselves, just like the lads & lassies in the penal colony, the Aussies. I think if they had a Queen like Mother England, things would be a bit more tame in those Colonies. Humour the chaps a bit, shall we?

Oh...indeed, it WAS a bit of a grand ol' feeling, I do have to admit (if I do say so myself), knowing who the REAL James Bond was flying "Little Nellie" in that grand bit of film-making we did in Japan: "You Only Live Twice"!

Attachments

• Mentone Runway Repair Fundraiser
    The real 007.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Remember, Mike, that was a spoof of what Ken Wallis might say...
I do imagine the Brits have plenty to say about Floridians!

I took my kids to Mouse World decades ago when they were sub-teens.
We met a British family there who were a delight to get to know.

They invited us to their rental condo they were staying in for a meal. We marveled @ each other's food choices in the markets, ranging from such things as the "colour" of butter in each respective country, size of bread loaves, instant packaging vs. basic foods prepared @ home, selection & kinds of teas, etc.

They also stated it took concerted effort to drive "on the wrong side of the road", especially when making turns in intersections!

And, they didn't drink tea (or coffee), for religious reasons!
Imagine that, Brits who don't drink tea!

Last edited:
Remember, Mike, that was a spoof of what Ken Wallis might say...
Oh I know. I get their sense of humor. I grew up watching Benny Hill and Monte Python. I also spent quite a bit of time with Dad’s representative for the UK Terry Holmes. He had a very dry sense of humor. Great guy. I am privileged to have been his friend.

Last edited:
Keeping this thread ALIVE - to give everyone a chance to see it!

THE BOD - has GUARANTEED that stage-one "600ft" - WILL happen by 2024 convention ...even to pledging personal loans to PRA for any shortfall!

WE are putting up A LOT - so PLEASE HELP out - with a little - from many!

Last edited:
Boy this is a tough one. Trying to think outside the box a little. The gyro world has changed dramatically even in the 10 or so years I've been involved. I don't fly a gyro anymore because more than one aircraft is more than I can handle, but still follow along because of course I still love gyros. My own personal thought is that running one's own airport may just be too much to chew for PRA. It just seems like trying to keep Mentone going sucks a lot of energy out of you guys.
What about trying to interview airports to try duplicate what you have at Wachula; we know Wachula works. Find another public / municipal airport that's far enough from built up areas that you're unlikely to run into issues with the public, and that may be looking for some additional revenue from a Mentone like gathering once a year. Small towns and municipalities are always looking for new sources of revenue. And let them worry about maintaining the airport as they already do.

Last edited:
Boy this is a tough one. Trying to think outside the box a little. The gyro world has changed dramatically even in the 10 or so years I've been involved. I don't fly a gyro anymore because more than one aircraft is more than I can handle, but still follow along because of course I still love gyros. My own personal thought is that running one's own airport may just be too much to chew for PRA. It just seems like trying to keep Mentone going sucks a lot of energy out of you guys.
What about trying to interview airports to try duplicate what you have at Wachula; we know Wachula works. Find another public / municipal airport that's far enough from built up areas that you're unlikely to run into issues with the public, and that may be looking for some additional revenue from a Mentone like gathering once a year. Small towns and municipalities are always looking for new sources of revenue. And let them worry about maintaining the airport as they already do.
Loftus,
You have some very good points. Thanks for the input!

I would agree if this event consisted of a single day fly-in.
The logistics of finding a place such as you mentioned would then be pretty easy.
Everyone shows up, has a great day of flying and conversation, and then heads home.
Easy.

However, no matter where it is in the US, the vast majority of people will have to travel a large distance to attend.
A one day event doesn't justify the journey.

So now you need the camping spots, restroom facilities, hangar spaces and more.
Who organizes the event, handles the catering?

Everyone is throwing out ideas, but I haven't seen anyone volunteer their time to help put something like this together.
Almost like they expect the current BOD to work against their own cause.

So, until somebody offers a solid offering of WHO is going to handle the logistics of a "roving" convention is provided, I see the whole topic pointless.

Wauchula is great! Too bad it is half a continent away from me, but it is still worth the trip. (Even if part of it wasn't for business reasons)
However, I have to say, I still prefer the feel of Mentone.

Wauchula, Barnstormers, El Mirage are all a blast! Good friends, good flying, good times!
But Mentone, our "home turf" has all of the above, plus the Museum, and the classroom with presentations and seminars.
It feels more like a growing and learning experience with all the fun included!

Oh yeah... Did I mention the fireworks are back?!!!!

We know this area. We know where we can and shouldn't fly. The airport is open to the public, but for the most part, we do not have to deal with any other GA traffic the whole week! This place is OURS!

I do not see an opportunity of having an event of this scale and with so much freedom anywhere else.

I don't think owning the airport is "too much to chew" for the PRA.
The airport itself is easily holding its own with the scout groups, the tractor shows, and what not.

Yes, over the years there have been some poor decisions by previous elected officials and board members.
Why there wasn't a runway maintenance fund setup on day one? Darn good question.

But here we are today.
What "sucks the energy out of us" is the current BOD busting our butts trying to preserve this wonderful asset, while pleading and begging forgiveness for actions of years past that we are no way responsible for. People holding 28 year old vendettas against others that are not even with us anymore. Really?

So... We can talking about the roving conventions moving around the US that nobody is willing to volunteer an ounce of effort to make happen. (It is NOT going to happen!)

OR... We can all throw in a couple hundred bucks, take care of the only issue this wonderful venue needs addressed, and the convention is revitalized and flourishing for another 30 years.

AND.. We have fresh group of individuals on the board. We believe in what the PRA can do for every pilot, and our sport. (And, we will have a runway maintenance fund set up).

.... And they lived happily ever after.... So easy. So simple.

Denis

TRUST US - YOUR PRA( NEW ) BOD - CLAWING OUR WAY BACK FROM EXTREME MISMANAGEMENT!

Even beloved & gyro-friendly Wauchula - does not have ALL the great facilities available at Mentone -
-the airport pilot lounge CAN be used as a "classroom" - but even though some of us planned a seminar/presentation - just was not very easy to schedule & pull off!

- The 30 powered campsites sell out in under 2 weeks of registration opening - Mentone has 100! What other airport has/will offer even 50 RV hook-ups???

-HANGARS - for overnight & rainy-day shelters!
At Wauchula - before the big storm that tore up so many hangars - Bensen Days needed to put up a temporary shelter - to house visiting gyros! (now the vacated ,doorless hangars allow at least a roof for overnight parking!)

-Solid building toilet&shower block!

- Central meal kitchen & canteen with undercover eating space!

WE (BOD)HAVE debated long and HARD over the options ,
-Lease out our facility ( & ultimately LOSE CONTROL OVER OUR AIRPORT!) to a crop-duster company in exchange for a new runway!

plant to grass,

Apply for state IN DOT, or FED funds ...as stated previous post .....NO-GO due to proximity of Rochester/Fulton county - just got all the funding for new runway recently!

get the Army Corps Engineers do the job (- we pay for materials!)

keep patching the cracks with our own asphalt melting machine!

All we need in a consolidated EFFORT from our whole gyro community - surely we have 3000 (USA gyro-fans/owners) x $100 donations out there - the WHOLE runway gets funded NOW!
300 dedicated owners and some corporate donations from ELA,Magni,AutoGyro (who are able to pay for $$$$s booths at Oshkosh!) - will get us there!
Crowd-funding WORKS (for everyone ELSE) - why NOT US!!????

First, I am very excited that the new folks at PRA are passionate and devoting significant time. Things can only get better. Thank you!

300 dedicated owners and some corporate donations from ELA,Magni,AutoGyro (who are able to pay for $$$$s booths at Oshkosh!) - will get us there!
Crowd-funding WORKS (for everyone ELSE) - why NOT US!!????
The money is most definitely there to be had. I don't think that is the issue. However if you asked me if this the best use of $300K for PRA, I for one (and I suspect a lot of others) am not convinced at all. If I was, $1K would be a no brainer.

I think stepping back for a moment, if we start with articulating the major challenges/ impediments that are preventing PRA from growing or more importantly shrinking, then I think you can make a cogent case for why the runway (or some other project) is/is not the best allocation of resources. But without articulating this to the broader membership, I think $300K is a big ask.

First, I am very excited that the new folks at PRA are passionate and devoting significant time. Things can only get better. Thank you!

The money is most definitely there to be had. I don't think that is the issue. However if you asked me if this the best use of $300K for PRA, I for one (and I suspect a lot of others) am not convinced at all. If I was, $1K would be a no brainer.

I think stepping back for a moment, if we start with articulating the major challenges/ impediments that are preventing PRA from growing or more importantly shrinking, then I think you can make a cogent case for why the runway (or some other project) is/is not the best allocation of resources. But without articulating this to the broader membership, I think $300K is a big ask.
Initially we are asking for $103,000 for the "gyro-essential 600 feet" section that will allow the majority small-gyro TO's/landings and the competition events! (Initial pledges for $22,000 - have already been made - so we need $103,000 - extra for this STAGE ONE!)

Yes the bigger machines will have to do take-off runs on a bit of the old pavement - depending on wind direction - BUT the small machines , and those without TAG /AR1 suspension suffer the most on the current rough runway - WILL BENEFIT - THIS YEAR!

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO - TO UNDERSTAND - DENIS RELATES THE PLAN VERY WELL!!!!!

IF
- we get more - more runway CAN be re-paved! The rest of the 2500 ft runway - we HOPE will be funded in the FUTURE - WHEN members can SEE the benefit!

AT PRESENT WE ONLY ASK FOR "A LITTLE". - HOPE FOR MORE!

What happens to the monies collected if enough is not collected for the first 600 feet. Do the donors get their donation back.

What happens to the monies collected if enough is not collected for the first 600 feet. Do the donors get their donation back.
???s often asked on the Farcebark sites - ALL DONATIONS WILL BE USED FOR PAVING!

The "stage-one" 600 ft IS GUARANTEED BY THE BOD (Who have pledged to make short-term LOANS to cover any shortfall - SO THIS REPAVING HAPPENS 100% before 2024 convention!

PRA BOD - has committed to make this happen !

Last edited: