I lost interest in flying Gyros!

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
That is at airports. I have come to the conclusion after flying my Gyro at El Mirage this last week with Dave that flying my Gyro at the airports are not as fun.

I was missing something when flying my Gyro at the local airports or just flying it around Hemet. I knew what it was but just keep on flying hoping this feeling would pass. I went though so much to learn to fly a Gyro so why was I losing interest?

I then started flying my Cherokee to my local airports and loved it to the point I stopped flying the Gyro all together. The Gyro was just setting in my hanger starting to collect dust.

Then Dave said lets take your Gyro to El Mirage and do some flying.

We went out there and flew around the wet lake and over the desert and it hit me what I was missing, it was the low slow flying close to the ground that was missing. The flying its self, I was turning and zig saging and having a blast just flying, no place to go but maybe over there or maybe over here or waving to the campers along the way to nowhere.

Gyros to me are not meant to fly from A to B but to enjoy the flight its self and flying low. At Hemet I had to fly high 500 feet and above to be legal and to get to other airports. Its more fun to fly my Cherokee doing that to get from A to B and get there faster.

I knew this was the problem I was having with my Gyro and now it was confirmed after this week. I am glad I did not get that transponder ;)

Tina, I suspect you just discovered what gyros are really all about; the plain and simple shear unadulterated joy of flying with no particular place to go! When one tries to make it anything else, they lose the real joy of what the machine really has to offer. :peace:

You hit the nail on the head, Tina. Gyros are meant to just go out and fly. When I took flying lessons in a FW years ago I thought it was boring once we got to altitude. Nothing beats meandering around in a gyro.

I agree...the thing that I DO like about going to airports is sharing the gyro experience with other FW pilots and I really love going to fly-in's where the public can come and ask questions.

Many a time..Ron and I have flown to an airport to have lunch and I end up talking gyros and answering questions that I miss the food! (Ron has more experience at this and he knows you have to get the food first!)

But....you can't beat low and slow.......flying the open fields!

Barry (lower and slower) K

Tina, for Thanksgiving i went over to my sis's house where she has DSL and was able to watch the video clips you posted from the El Mirage flyin's. Those were cool. Do you know about what the wind was blowing on the day the glider was flying I think in a thethered mode? Did the glider have a rotor brake? If not, could the rotor be slowed and stopped by holding forward stick or how? I haven't tried thethered flight here in a real wind because I am not sure if I can get the rotor stopped with no brake even though I can tilt forward past level if I want.

Last edited:
Tina, mate, if the urge is waining, get your ass over ere and put it ina gyro.
You have no idea wot your missn. ;)

Dave and I talk about going to Australia all the time. We will have to plan a trip someday and see you and your place :yo:

Birdy have you ever been to America?

I havnt seen Oz yet. ;)

If your go'n past Tina, by all means, drop in. :)

I can relate to the low-slow flying. I'm fortunate. I have an enclosed 2-place, so I CAN use it to go from point A to B with 3.5 hours of useable fuel onboard with a 30 minute reserve if I don't push it. I often fly 36 miles from my homebase to our PRA73 meeting at Scappoose. I don't get there fast, I get to enjoy the scenery instead. ;)

On 65+ degree days I take the doors off for that wind-on-my-shoulder feeling, and to have an unobstructed view of the ground.

And when I feel like it, I head to a section of flat farmland just 10 miles from my homebase where I get down to 20 feet and crank-and-bank around the wide-open fields. When I fly solo, the machine feels sporty. Yet I have also taken up the occasional passenger (flys like a truck then).

I'm happy with my 2-place choice.

Last edited:
Hey Birdy
does the offer go to any Gyro folks to come on down??
Hey need any help to muster critters??

Any gyro nut is welcome ere. ;)
And yes, i need help, but not with the mustern. ;)

Dave and I talk about going to Australia all the time. We will have to plan a trip someday and see you and your place :yo:

Has Birdy been to America?? you got a battle getting him to leave home ! :)

That is the reason all the Wauchula Morons love our airport, we allways have somewhere to fly and something new to see. Hope ya get a chance to drop in someday, everybody should fly atleast once here.

My first thought when I saw the first gyro in the air: Hmmm I could fly to my games, instead of going motorcycle.
For short trips it will beat any transportation . . .specially if you have to drive 4 hours to the airport to fly 45 minutes to the game site that is only 500 km away from your place.
Or commute from our aiport to Sao Paulo and catch the right plane. (3 hours minimum swicht over)
And I can fly all the way home, driving a little from the pad to the house. :D
Heron

I usually dont go farther than 10 miles away, in a straight line, but zig zag doing those ten miles. I really like flying below 500ft, out in the countryside. Gyros are like dirt bikes, you can have a blast and not go anywere.

Ya never know Yves, she mite have the same navigational abilities as me. :)

Skipped a beat !

Skipped a beat !

Tina,

You have the same disease Mr Stan has !

....Comes with the affliction...... the ability to make catchy titles and the reaction....

"Say it is not so !!! "

Got me again ! :lol:

Have to love it.

Jonathan

For me, the more I fly my gyro the more I love it. I didn't fly the last few days
and I feel terrible...
Giorgos

Tina, glad your trip to El Mirage renewed your love for gyro flying. Flying low is the way to really experience this sport. Check out my seven gyro video postings to You Tube and low flying here in Shasta Valley, CA.. We enjoy low flying here. Just type in Shasta Valley Flight on You Tube. Welcome back to the gyro world Tina!