How to win part of at least $5,000.00!!!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Were giving away money!!!

That’s right just got off the phone with Rusty Nance our PRA president and all around good guy!

He has promoted prize money for next years (2009’s) PRA Mentone convention form Carter Aviation of $5,000.00 so far and we are looking for more matching funds so the prizes will only get larger not smaller.

Some of you are going to go home richer than when you came, in more than experience and fun at our next convention!!!

The final rules are just being developed today but this is the official notice.

Here's a hint:
It’s going to be a climbing competition.

How high can you climb in 30 seconds guys and gals?????

There may be other aviation equipment also for many other events, at least were working on it for you.

This is just the first notice of the exciting changes the BOD is making but I think these guys rock!!!

This can only add to the fun!!

Also can't wait for the Stan plan and next years egg drop contest!!

Last edited:
Climbing Competition

Climbing Competition

I certainly hope this will be done by class or size of engine otherwise there is no contest. If it is, the final winner should be judged based on relative climb not actual (e.g. If I climb at 1000fpm with a 10hp engine I have done better than a 500hp engine that climbs at 2000fpm)

Or will there be separate class and kind categories?

Last edited:
Good points, Rob!
The rules are just now being worked out so your observations could help!

Does anyone know where I can get a surplus JATO rocket cheap?

John they are hard to get, even Myth buster could not get one. But you can have a rocket motor made for you with almost as much power?

Dang you guys are serious as a heart attack!

Good thinking John!

Carter Aviation posted that prize? Hmmm seems that they have a pretty swift climbing machine themselves.

That modified butterfly goes vertically up over 200' in a few seconds. Seems to me that is a serious sprint start lead.:wave:

That climb is on the rotors, no need for big engine.
They should be ruled out, or any other one of a kind.
Anyway it is a good thing.
That 5 Grand could buy lots of new memberships.
Heron

I don't know I half expect that John just might win this thing! I know he could figure out a way to make it happen!

I would be very disappointed if the PRA used PRA money to give to the winner of the gyro with fastest rate of climb or something along those lines. Private donations is another thing.....

If the PRA was to have money to use to give away, I can think of several better ways to use it.

1. If awards are in mind, then figure out how to assign it to multiple contests that will bring more people to the PRA Convention.

2. Or spread the wealth and give some of that money to the 3 to 4 PRA chapters that put on popular regional events ( Chapter 26's Bensen Days, Chapter 18's Shelbyville, Chapter 1's EL Mirage, and Chapter 13's Rotors over Carolina/ Wrens fall fly-in ) so these chapters can also have contests to award cash prizes and attract more activity.

3. Scholarship program where the money is given to the instructor pool to help pay for introductory flights are local fly-ins, or Young Eagles events.

4. Use the money to pay for a hired webmaster, so we can get some of the things we were promised a year or two ago, such as all back issues of Rotorcraft magazine viewable to members on the PRA website.

I could go on, but you get the point....

The way it's presented, It looks to me like it's a donation by Carter Copter, who is initiating and sponsoring the competition.

The rules for the contest have been reviewed and forwarded to Rick for inclusion into the magazine. Let me get a good idea on exactly when the magazine will hit the street and I'll post the rules here just before then. Some things to consider though;
This is not a competition to test pilot skill, Accidents happen when pilots challenge each other.
This is a test of the machine. People will have ample time to modify their machine as needed to compete if they desire.
This contest has very little to do with horsepower. It has everything to do with power to weight ratio and pre-rotation capability.
There will not be separate classes. All machines will be judged solely on what altitude they reach in the given time the start line on the runway.
Having done both, a blast takeoff will net more altitude in the time allowed than a jump takeoff.
I will most likely not compete. The Carter Jump Gyro will most likely not compete. Jay gave me no indication he wanted his machine in the contest despite being the one to offer funds first.
I'm still soliciting matching funds, if any has any ideas of people or companies to ask. Just let me know. Even if several companies only offer a little extra, the total purse could grow drastically.
I'm really looking forward to this contest.

Rusty

Interesting observation about the blast take-off beating the jump.

Having done both certainly well qualified to comment but that modified butterfly certainly goes up quick.

If that isn't competing though then two others may.

Thanks Rusty keep us informed!!!

Now someone needs to start a thread on how I can build a gyro to win this thing!

John if you lurk long enough, in your own words, you will be compelled... or compiled.