Hey my name is Jon I need some advise if I should by this gyro

Jrnabut7530

Looking for some good input from some vets in Gyrocopter s my buddy wants to sell his benson type Gyroplane for 1800 I’ll post some pics so y’all can tell me what you think I am a aircraft mechanic but for fighter jets and helicopters I have never flow but looking to fix this one up and give it a try he also has the blades not in pic but it has a old drone mucullac I think it’s called engine 2 stroke has a new frame and he already bought new bearing for the head and spark plugs. Also a lot more but anyways if y’all want to give me a call I like talking in person my number is 3059060841 Thanks jon

i really need to know if it’s a good way to get into the sport.

Attachments

• Hey my name is Jon I need some advise if I should by this gyro
    E7E99420-AFD7-4105-AFA1-72266137F33B.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
    5114E9D8-5B2C-47BF-8F61-0287FB58D13B.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12
    273ACC81-29E7-48CF-9987-192BBF1530D5.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 11
    2DE9362D-2908-4A23-857A-2103BEF9FCA9.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
    7A1DA7D7-8B14-4289-929C-42D80E773D82.png.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
Jon, few people can make that McCullough engine reliable. The gyro by itself is worth 1800 to someone who has experience with Bensen style gyros. You cannot build it for that. You will have trouble getting gyro training and the transisition training to the Bensen. Then even if you do get training you will be flying an aircraft ( a gyro) with the worst safety of all aircraft so if you have a family that depends on you I recommend that you find something else to fly. Just my 2 cents

Peering into Pandora's Box.

Good morning Jon and Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum.

I called you this morning and your mailbox was full.

I checked the N number and your gyroplane registration has been canceled.

It is hard to know how difficult that will be to manage.

Flying it without training is probably poor aviation decision making.

It is not an ultralight so to be legal you will need a minimum of a Sport Pilot, Gyroplane certificate.

You are required to have a minimum of 15 hours of dual and five hours of solo before you can get a Sport Pilot, Gyroplane rating and be legal to fly it. There is also a knowledge test.

Cost for that will likely be between five and eight thousand dollars.

If you are a rated mechanic your ratings are at risk if you fly without at least a solo signoff.

There tends to be a very steep learning curve with that engine.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Come to Bensen days March 26 through March 30 at Wauchula and learn a lot about gyroplanes.
https://bensendays.us.com/

Jon I looked up the N number and it has been deregistered because it expired. Just another consideration. Jon If there was 2 or 3 other people near you flying these they could help you a lot but you still cannot escape the gyroplane safety record expecially when lots of people were building and flying these early style gyro's.

Vance, this gyro can make the legal ultralight weight with the McCullough or a 503 rotax. Mine did with dragon wings and Bensen blades. Depends on the blade weight. My Neal Carnes rotor hawk blades made it too heavy but these blades weight 65 lbs assembled. The Dragon wing blades only weighed 42 lbs. Replace the 14 lb solid aluminum rudder ( as shown in the Brock and Bensen plans ) with the one in the above picture and save another 6 lbs.

From the looks of the rudder and joystick control I would say this is a Ken Brock kit or built from KB 2 plans with these two pieces bought from Ken Brock. If it has Ken Brock blades and rotor I would buy it in a heart beat because one would spend 5 6 thousand to buy these when Ken Brock was in business.

I started flying a 90hp version of a Bensen B-8m in the mid 90's. The "-A" in your picture indicates to me that the engine is most likely a 72hp version. Depending upon your elevation, it might be marginal. The "Mac" engine has the best power to weight ratio, but probably the worst reputation for reliability. In my opinion, most of that is the operator, and poor preventative maintenance or a total lack of maintenance.As with any 2 stroker, suck air through anything except the carburetor and it leans out and melts down a jug.
for a newbee into the gyro world, I would not recommend a Bensen or Brock style machine.
I would look for a drop keel style machine that is close to Center Line Thrust with a tall tail with horizontal stabilizer at the thrust line. If you like the idea of complete open air, then an Ultra White would fit that bill.
Is $1800 a good price, oh yes. I would consider purchasing it and then using parts from it to build me a drop keel machine and find a 582 Rotax to go on it. Just a thought.
A couple years ago, a buddy of mine rebuilt a VW powered Bensen and I did the test flight for it. See the attached video:
https://youtu.be/jZJF8J27DNA?list=PLeP-lnAM0Y1pJS3wB6aK4ROKCfVp4q818

I'm no expert but as the re-builder of the Bensen David posted I'll throw in my 2 cents. I had a lot of fun working on that project and at the same time I learned a lot about gyro's and aviation in general. $1800 is a good price assuming all the parts are good, and it looks like there is another frame there. Material wise it may be a good start on the drop keel conversion like David mentioned. If it was in my back yard I'd be all over it.