Helicopters...

I just saw the protesting in Ukraine. What is that about ?

Back to topic!!
This machine looks heavy and complicated, especially having two engines. Just watching the videos shows me its tail heavy by just looking at the skids and the rotor disc. Not a very experienced helicopter pilot either. This thing is so far out of CG it would crash if he went into forward flight and had to stop quickly. It would be all over with.. Pretty sure it looks like the rotor head and blades came from the NEO helicopter??? Looks heavy, complicated and expensive to maintain, not for me.

Anyone know of a better looking Helicopter then the Robinson R-44? I don't give the million dollar baby's a second look. But, this 4 place, {any color} makes me drool.

This was the topic......................

Two engines are synchronized, operate as a single motor.
Do not be afraid ...
Very safe and fast chopper ...
Will be a lot of testing ...
I hope to be cheap ...

Hi everyone!
I'm from Ukraine, Yuri. Live in Kiev.
I'm not mistaken, they say here for those who like helicopters?

You can even start your own thread on your Heli if you like ...............

Need help ?

An R-22 is nice if you have people that are not heavy. Yet at 500 pounds max lift you are limited.

For the same amount of money you can get a Bell 47 with 1200 pounds of lift. A nice clear canopy with no blind spots. Plus its an antique, or dress up in military drab green and paint M*A*S*H on the sides.

Bell 47 Ready For Flight - YouTube

Just my 2 pennies (all I can afford, lol)

An R-22 is nice if you have people that are not heavy. Yet at 500 pounds max lift you are limited.

For the same amount of money you can get a Bell 47 with 1200 pounds of lift. A nice clear canopy with no blind spots. Plus its an antique, or dress up in military drab green and paint M*A*S*H on the sides.

I'm with you there -- my 47 is much more capable than an R-22, with three seats, big useful load, safe and easy autorotations, and a substantially higher service ceiling.

Attachments

• MV flyby 2.jpg
    MV flyby 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
I feel I must correct my data. Its service load is not 1000 pounds plus. That load is for with fuel.

A 47-5GA has a 600 pound seating load wit 81 knot speed on 53 gallon capacity.
The price for a used 47 is around 150k
The price of a new 47 from Scott's Bell Helicopters is around 306k-350k. They offer new composite blades with a 10,000 hour flight time. Yet still I would prefer one of these as they are far more versatile.

Hey Wasp. I am curious about the wheels on the skids. How do you set them down to be functional to maneuver the bird in and out of storage?

The only downside is how much more it costs to fly a Bell 47 - it burns nearly double the fuel, needs more routine maintenance, and the overhaul interval is also much shorter than the R22.

Way more payload (near sea level we'd usually plan for 80 gallon spray loads in a G5 & the spray gear itself added another 150 lbs or so) & a lot more forgiving.

A 47 would be my piston helicopter of choice if I win the lottery - either a G2 or G5 :)

Hey Wasp. I am curious about the wheels on the skids. How do you set them down to be functional to maneuver the bird in and out of storage?

I usually leave mine in the hangar because the set I have is really big (dual wheels each side) and heavy (I use them with a towbar and a little lawn tractor). Your photo shows the more common single wheel type.

There is a set of studs protruding from the skid tube. The wheels have hooks that engage them, and a pin that is inserted through the mount and the tube to prevent the wheel mount from turning. When you want to use the wheels, you pull the pin, stick a handle into the mount, and lever the axle down so that the wheel picks up the weight; then replace the pin. They sit just under the c.g., so you can grab the personnel guard at the tail to steer it around.

I have dualies on my RW for the grass...

I like the airless wide slicks...turn easy on concrete and grass, and don't pick up mud in the treads.

Found that airless do get a temporary flat spot when sitting for a while. I'd go with high pressure air.

Went fron single with air, to dualies airless, and want to go to dualie with air.

Attachments

• Dual Wheels on RW.jpg
    Dual Wheels on RW.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My Bell is pretty big (at least when compared to a RW), so I use these guys from Brackett, and they're about 30 pounds per side. I have a set of the standard single wheels that I carry on long trips, but they aren't anywhere near as good for towing to the gas pumps, etc.

Attachments

• ghwheels.jpg
    ghwheels.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1
Waspair? I have another question for you. Would it make sense to cover the tail boom with something like monokote? Just wondering if it would make sense to streamline the tail.

Monokote by the way has been used by model airplane enthusiasts to cover their wings.

Also, does it make sense to put larger fuel tanks on for a greater range?

One last question. What octane do you use? I tried to google it and found anything from 100 to 80 with a 50:1 oil mix?

Later model 47's (starting with the G2A1) have 61 gallon tanks, we'd burn about 16 gallons an hour - that's plenty of endurance.

The D models had a 29 gallon tank but also burned less fuel, something like 11-12 gallons a hour. G's & G2's have 42 gallon tanks.

The single seat Tomcat Mk5's I flew had that small 29 gallon tank but basically G2 mechanics, still plenty of fuel for an ag ship.

100LL was required in the Lycoming VO-435-A1F's, all of the 47's I flew had this engine - they'd run ok on 93 octane mogas, had a boss who did this for years (but not legal).