Got a new benson

Can't say for sure but your airframe also looks KB2. Looks like you have a large hole near the tail. That's for Brock's custom tail. Most holes were predrilled in his airframe, hence the large hole near the tail. OK, engines can become a lot of discussion. That mount you currently have is for the Mac engine. I loved the Mac but likely you'll find more people hate it. I blew a few of them with cracked crankcases, broken crankshafts, seized pistons, failed condenser, cracked carb floats. Lots of the failures were on a two-place Parsons with a super MAC so that poor engine was working "very" hard. Even with all that, it was a strong engine for it's weight and I liked it. Easy to repair the simple things, but good parts are getting scarce, crankshafts especially. I'll let others comment on engines. The Mac can be temperamental to start if you aren't familiar it. My last flight in the Bensen, it started on the first pull.!! That mount you have can develop cracks. I had one of the lower ears crack on the Parsons and I've seen the welds around the bushing crack. I'm done.
It sounds like we have had a lot of the same experience. Still love flying the Mac

Mr Chris Burgess ,I 'm new to this gyro world .Looking over your comments above , can tell you really know the history of the early gyro's . I hope you can answer some questions for me . Are you still gyro CFI ? I'm in upstate S.C. and looking for a CFI .I'll be going to Wadesboro N.C. for a get together this week end . I have bought a KB3 with a 583 and Benson blades .NO horizontal stabilizer. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated Got a new benson

Well, if you look closer on (or in) an MTO Sport, you'll discover, you really sit on a stick.

Just look at the "naked" MTO Sport. But the fiberglass bathtub does help psycologically...
I have trust issues with heights... most my family would say that I am afraid of heights (standing on the roof or climbing a ladder) I flew what you're calling a "naked" MTO sport this summer... actually logged training with Leo Fitzgerald in it. I never once felt any fear of heights and loved the feeling of open air freedom. My log book shows 10.5 hours in MTO Sport - "Free". And like you said, it's like sitting on a stick! I guess there are only 3 of them in the US and Leo has 2 of them in his hanger.

I'm a bit like you - I also feel very uncomfortable being on top of the roof without security equipment.
Thinking: One step and I'm dead - ouch. Mostly I'm afraid to forget I'm up there and then have an accident.

But I feel really safe in my MTO at 1200-1500 feet and 120 km/h. So safe, that I'm becoming more afraid to use a motorcycle.
(I've never felt 100% safe on a motorcycle)

Of course, if I don't feel safe flying I should not be up there... I do this for fun only.

BTW, our hospitals have a name for bikers - they call them "organ donors"...

Last edited:
Instructors told us at Ft Benning Jump School that average humans have a fear of heights up to 32 feet. Under that and you envision the pain, over that and you just figure youll die.
So all the towers were 32 ft high to get the maximum level of discomfort.
I always figured this for a load of bull and there was some other simple reason for the measurment,like thats how long it takes a person to stabilize under a cable or something...

Most pilots I talk to are afraid of heights. I work for the phone company and in my earlier days of my career I lived on a 24’ ladder working on cables. My job evolved and I haven’t taken the ladder off of my truck in a few years. I had to do so a few months ago. I got it set up climbed to the top and as I was putting my safety belt around the pole I noticed I was shaking like a leaf. I was sweating. It was weird. Been afraid all my life but not like that. I finished my work as soon as possible and had to sit in my truck for 10-15 min to calm down. Told my buddy about it and he said that doesn’t make any sense you fly gyros. I said that’s different I’m not connected to the ground.

Instructors told us at Ft Benning Jump School that average humans have a fear of heights up to 32 feet. Under that and you envision the pain, over that and you just figure youll die.
So all the towers were 32 ft high to get the maximum level of discomfort.
I always figured this for a load of bull and there was some other simple reason for the measurment,like thats how long it takes a person to stabilize under a cable or something...
Might also have something to do with that old 32 ft/sec2 acceleration equation, Ben. :)

Mr Chris Burgess ,I 'm new to this gyro world .Looking over your comments above , can tell you really know the history of the early gyro's . I hope you can answer some questions for me . Are you still gyro CFI ? I'm in upstate S.C. and looking for a CFI .I'll be going to Wadesboro N.C. for a get together this week end . I have bought a KB3 with a 583 and Benson blades .NO horizontal stabilizer. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated View attachment 1156146
Seneca, SC! Yay! I used to live in Woodruff.

I'd be a little concerned about not having a horizontal stabilizer. To me it seems like a necessary component, as evidenced by its inclusion on the vast majority of gyros that I've seen here.

Brock peddles and Brock aluminum wheels, Brock joystick. MAC engine mount looks also Brock, early Bensen had that same mount. Most parts on the Bensen B8 and Brock KB2 were interchangeable. Both Bensen and Brock could swap rotors and control heads. As long as the rotor has no corrosion intrusion in the skins, from what I can tell in your one photo, you might have something salvageable there. I flew Bensen/Brock from 1971 until I sold my last around 2013.

Like Jim M said above in post #6, I truly enjoyed the Bensen/Brock.
You flew a Benson/ Brock ? I own a KB3 . Would like to speak to you 864-324-2210