Calidus - Photos

Thanks for posting these, I had been wondering what the Calidus looked like with the baggage pods. Looks like it would work out perfect for a small X/C.

Be aware that the luggage pod on the Calidus bring down the VNE to 135 km/h. This is a serious limitation and considering the price tag of such an option...

Maher

Last edited:
Be aware that the luggage pod on the Calidus bring down the VNE to 130 km/h. This is a serious limitation and considering the price tag...

Maher

That's a pretty big hit on the speed. I don't find any mention of that in the limitations section of the Calidus flight manual though. Maybe the one I downloaded is old, it's dated from May of 2011.

This was displayed at the Aero Show this past April -

Attachments

• IMAG0297[1].jpg
    IMAG0297[1].jpg
    130 KB · Views: 0
Aaaah... there's those who get sucked in by the looks, and those who study the mother, and, the fine print on the contract.

Caution is becoming in a pilot.

Ah, VNE at 135 instead of 130 kmph. I edited my post to correct the mistake.

Maher

I just downloaded the latest POH and it clearly states a Vne of 185 kph without and 130 kph with baggage compartments. That essentially renders the baggage additions useless. Who wants to fly cross country trips in a gyro that could fly 185 kph and now putter along at speeds below 130 kph? That's pretty sad...

-- Chris.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the latest POH and it clearly states a Vne of 185 kph without and 130 kph with baggage compartments. That essentially renders the baggage additions useless. Who wants to fly cross country trips in a gyro that could fly 185 kph and now putter along at speeds below 130 kph? That's pretty sad...

-- Chris.

Yeah, I just saw that in revision 2.2. What a shame. Imagine if BMW built a touring bike and you couldn't put any side panniers on it or if you did the bike took a 50kph hit ? I would have actually been willing to pay the price for them if it wasn't for that. Hopefully one day they might recognize that there is a need to fix this.