1000 Hours flying gyros.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
It was a challenging year for racking up flight time in Kansas....the spring was super windy, then rains, then heat ....FINALLY we had a beautiful fall weather with two much anticipated events for me to achieve some serious flight-time on cross-country adventures!
October 6,7,8 ...I completed my first FULL FLY-Kansas Airtour (740 Nmiles, 11.5 flight hours, 8 airports visited- 4 new ones for me)....in 2019 & 2021 ...I completed 1 & 2 days of the tour ...a unique event for USA state DOT's run by the KS DOT-aviation dept.( https://www.facebook.com/KDOTAviation/ https://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksd...ssrelease2022/sept/Air_Tour_Press_Release.pdf. ) ...to promote aviation in our rural communities & out-reach to youth - a lot of school kids come to the airport stops to see a variety of aircraft & talk to pilots!

Next challenge was ...to attend my gyro-club. LSRC PRA Chapter62 (Anahuac TX) annual fly-in - on On October 15th ....a 2 day truck/trailer drive of 700 miles ...OR with a good weather window ...maybe I could actually FLY down! As the 10 day weather looked promising. I began plans to fly down ... easy legs with lovely opportunities to spend overnights with beloved friends. All good for stops with the Potters (Carl & Deb) ...TAG owner & CFI for night 1(Wednesday) near Tulsa OK...a 2.1hour flight to 2K9 (Haskell OK) ...then day 2 to Fainting Goat 87TX (about 4 hours flight) - Craig &Cathie Mcpherson ... Thursday overnight in their lovely student bunkhouse with access to courtesy car for fuel run & food to Whitney. Next leg (Friday)to my primary CFI & special friends Desmon & Crissy Butts ...at their new hanger-home at Waverley estates airpark XS09. (approx 2.5 hour flight).
Last year I stopped by with my truck-trailer rig on my way home from Anahuac ...to see their new hangar & home under construction.
It was great to see the completed house and get to stay in the student hangar-loft apartment!
Saturday ..I flew (1.2 hours into headwind - return flight was 1 hour) over to Anahuac ...enjoyed catching up with my friends & meeting the new members, paid my dues & had a wonderful Italian food lunch.

Now the challenge of cross-country open cockpit adventures began to materialize ...I could see for several days on studying weather for Dallas -Houston and the Windy app that a cold front was bringing storms to Dallas area Sunday ...then rain to Houston on Monday. Thankfully Desmon & Crissy had no pressing plans or work and I was able to hang around for 4 nights visit instead of the planned 2! We had so much fun ...good food, fellowship & laughs, Crissy & I went on a delightful short nature trail walk in Sam Houston forest! Her awesome professional massage therapist skills were much enjoyed on my flight-stressed body!

On Tuesday ...I would be beating against headwinds ...but planned a direct flight home and overnight in Ada OK. .... I had my first 100ll refuel (after a 2.5 hour headwind slog of 80kt AS doing 60 GS ) at Terrel TX ...my lunch-stop both down (day2) and back ! I called ahead to the airport manager at KADH ...to arrange a spot where I could plug in my battery charger ...and scored a wonderful spot in a heated hangar next to a helo-on a trailer. My hosts were the fuel supplier also ...and I topped off with 100LL next morning. The afternoon winds dropped my GS to 50kts ... 2.6 hours for a 127 mile leg! But the joy of gyro-flight and seeing new-to-me country from 900ft AGL and lots of beautiful fall colors turning the vegetation below - kept me happily entertained!

My flight down I had nice tailwind so my 80kt AS=80kt GS ...although the "wind waves" ...made for tiresome endless pitch & power adjustments to maintain my chosen height AGL. ( when Crissy gave me her lovely massage session ...she exclaimed my stick-hand was "on-fire" ...it was so hot & stressed from 3 days of " hard/active" flying! ...I feel I have a very relaxed stick-hand ...but the constant on-off with the rising then falling air waves ...obviously took its toll!)

My last day of the grand adventure ... the winds had switched overnight so my expected 2 hour leg to Ponca City for lunch took 1.8hours ...I enjoyed a fun lunch at the airport Mexican restaurant ! I was parked next to gate into the restaurant and a smart corporate jet with two lovely couples ...from SC enroute to Napa CA for a 25th anniversary wine-tasting trip befriended me ...asking about the gyro ...while their jet was refueled they had a quick lunch break & I enjoyed some meal-fellowship with them ...telling them about cross-country adventures-flying in a gyroplane!

Last leg home was75 Nmiles from KPNC to ToevsFarm (1.1 hour flight time) and ... best estimate about 34 Nmiles S of home @ approx 37.42N 97.13 W (near Udall KS) ...I passed my total flight time (all gyro/only gyro) ...of 1000 hours.
It took me a week to get around to totalling the page in my logbook to see that pilot milestone had snuck-up on me!
My PIC/solo in training time is about 887 ...my flight-training received column shows 113! ( my total time in TAG gyros is 807 hours)

Round trip stats .....ToevsFarm -T00 & return. 1125 Nmiles. 18.4 flight hours (Hobbs & flight timer ..includes taxi time) Av fuel consumption 5gal/hour
Airports visited ...Haskell OK (2K9). KTRL( Terrel TX) ,87TX (Fainting goat) XS09 (Waverly estates) T00 Anahuac XS09-KTRL- KADH (Ada OK) KPNC Ponca City!
Thanks to friends loaner fuel cans & shuttles to get Mogas ...I was able to only have to use 20 gal of 100LL ...on my homebound trip.

Last edited:
Sometimes it seems that it will never happen, but for those who stay the course the reward will come.

And when it does how sweet it is.

Challanges met and overcome.

Well done Christine.

Last edited:
It was a challenging year for racking up flight time in Kansas....the spring was super windy, then rains, then heat ....FINALLY we had a beautiful fall weather with two much anticipated events for me to achieve some serious flight-time on cross-country adventures!
October 6,7,8 ...I completed my first FULL FLY-Kansas Airtour (740 Nmiles, 11.5 flight hours, 8 airports visited- 4 new ones for me)....in 2019 & 2021 ...I completed 1 & 2 days of the tour ...a unique event for USA state DOT's run by the KS DOT-aviation dept.( https://www.facebook.com/KDOTAviation/ https://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksd...ssrelease2022/sept/Air_Tour_Press_Release.pdf. ) ...to promote aviation in our rural communities & out-reach to youth - a lot of school kids come to the airport stops to see a variety of aircraft & talk to pilots!

Next challenge was ...to attend my gyro-club. LSRC PRA Chapter62 (Anahuac TX) annual fly-in - on On October 15th ....a 2 day truck/trailer drive of 700 miles ...OR with a good weather window ...maybe I could actually FLY down! As the 10 day weather looked promising. I began plans to fly down ... easy legs with lovely opportunities to spend overnights with beloved friends. All good for stops with the Potters (Carl & Deb) ...TAG owner & CFI for night 1(Wednesday) near Tulsa OK...a 2.1hour flight to 2K9 (Haskell OK) ...then day 2 to Fainting Goat 87TX (about 4 hours flight) - Craig &Cathie Mcpherson ... Thursday overnight in their lovely student bunkhouse with access to courtesy car for fuel run & food to Whitney. Next leg (Friday)to my primary CFI & special friends Desmon & Crissy Butts ...at their new hanger-home at Waverley estates airpark XS09. (approx 2.5 hour flight).
Last year I stopped by with my truck-trailer rig on my way home from Anahuac ...to see their new hangar & home under construction.
It was great to see the completed house and get to stay in the student hangar-loft apartment!
Saturday ..I flew (1.2 hours into headwind - return flight was 1 hour) over to Anahuac ...enjoyed catching up with my friends & meeting the new members, paid my dues & had a wonderful Italian food lunch.

Now the challenge of cross-country open cockpit adventures began to materialize ...I could see for several days on studying weather for Dallas -Houston and the Windy app that a cold front was bringing storms to Dallas area Sunday ...then rain to Houston on Monday. Thankfully Desmon & Crissy had no pressing plans or work and I was able to hang around for 4 nights visit instead of the planned 2! We had so much fun ...good food, fellowship & laughs, Crissy & I went on a delightful short nature trail walk in Sam Houston forest! Her awesome professional massage therapist skills were much enjoyed on my flight-stressed body!

On Tuesday ...I would be beating against headwinds ...but planned a direct flight home and overnight in Ada OK. .... I had my first 100ll refuel (after a 2.5 hour headwind slog of 80kt AS doing 60 GS ) at Terrel TX ...my lunch-stop both down (day2) and back ! I called ahead to the airport manager at KADH ...to arrange a spot where I could plug in my battery charger ...and scored a wonderful spot in a heated hangar next to a helo-on a trailer. My hosts were the fuel supplier also ...and I topped off with 100LL next morning. The afternoon winds dropped my GS to 50kts ... 2.6 hours for a 127 mile leg! But the joy of gyro-flight and seeing new-to-me country from 900ft AGL and lots of beautiful fall colors turning the vegetation below - kept me happily entertained!

My flight down I had nice tailwind so my 80kt AS=80kt GS ...although the "wind waves" ...made for tiresome endless pitch & power adjustments to maintain my chosen height AGL. ( when Crissy gave me her lovely massage session ...she exclaimed my stick-hand was "on-fire" ...it was so hot & stressed from 3 days of " hard/active" flying! ...I feel I have a very relaxed stick-hand ...but the constant on-off with the rising then falling air waves ...obviously took its toll!)

My last day of the grand adventure ... the winds had switched overnight so my expected 2 hour leg to Ponca City for lunch took 1.8hours ...I enjoyed a fun lunch at the airport Mexican restaurant ! I was parked next to gate into the restaurant and a smart corporate jet with two lovely couples ...from SC enroute to Napa CA for a 25th anniversary wine-tasting trip befriended me ...asking about the gyro ...while their jet was refueled they had a quick lunch break & I enjoyed some meal-fellowship with them ...telling them about cross-country adventures-flying in a gyroplane!

Last leg home was75 Nmiles from KPNC to ToevsFarm (1.1 hour flight time) and ... best estimate about 34 Nmiles S of home @ approx 37.42N 97.13 W (near Udall KS) ...I passed my total flight time (all gyro/only gyro) ...of 1000 hours.
It took me a week to get around to totalling the page in my logbook to see that pilot milestone had snuck-up on me!
My PIC/solo in training time is about 887 ...my flight-training received column shows 113! ( my total time in TAG gyros is 807 hours)

Round trip stats .....ToevsFarm -T00 & return. 1125 Nmiles. 18.4 flight hours (Hobbs & flight timer ..includes taxi time) Av fuel consumption 5gal/hour
Airports visited ...Haskell OK (2K9). KTRL( Terrel TX) ,87TX (Fainting goat) XS09 (Waverly estates) T00 Anahuac XS09-KTRL- KADH (Ada OK) KPNC Ponca City!
Thanks to friends loaner fuel cans & shuttles to get Mogas ...I was able to only have to use 20 gal of 100LL ...on my homebound trip.
Hello Chris,

Great story and great accomplishment on your 1,000 hour achievement! Can't wait to read about your 2,000 hour achievement!

Wayne

Way to go. You are a inspiration to me to actually do some long cross country flights.

Great adventures. Getting out and seeing the country from a gyro is a privilege most people will never have.

Congratulations on the milestone,