Testing a gopro

Loved it Wolfy. Just bimbling quietly around going where the mood and whim takes one.

Reminded me a lot of the countryside around my Grandfathers farm in Sabukia Kenya. Wide open spaces, hills in the distance and clear blue skies.

The engine seemed to be happy at what sounded a quite a low power setting with plenty in reserve, your big tires cope well with what would be very dodgy for normal size tires.

Happy days.

I have my gopro 3 mounted to the front of my mast, suprisingly very little vibration, with the benefit of being able to record my instruments for review of conditions after flight, along with a pilot's eye view of everything.

From GoPro 7 onward there is a big step up in image stabilization. I have a Mosquito (they have plenty of vibes with a solid mounted rotor), and the GoPro7 smooths it out real well. Apparently the newer models are noticeably better again.
That might be worth looking into mine is a gopro 1.

wolfy

Wolfy - Thanks for sharing the videos. You have a great airport to fly from!

Grevis - How far can you fly in your Mosquito? Nice video. Stabilization works great! You make flying the helicopter look easy!

Last edited:
Dave - I havent flown very far yet, I'm a new pilot in NZ and we have a different license setup where you get to go longer distance in stages of license (circuits -> 10mile -> 50mile -> nationwide).
At the moment though I am getting ready to pull engine off and do an electrical upgrade that is being released by the factory to change it to a Mosquito XE290.

Wolfy - Cool videos, would be geat to see that flying with a later model camera.

I also tried making a sort of anti vibration mount for a cheap chinese camera I had initially. That took the image from being a wobbly unwatchable mess to just a bit of a shaky picture. Since it helped a lot, but didnt solve it completely I then tried the later model GoPro in the same spot. Havent tried the GoPro without the mount, but suspect the camera software is doing all the work and the mount is not really needed now.
It might be easier to set up on a helicopter though as the vibes will always be at a set frequency, while the gyro has changing prop and rotor speeds.Testing a gopro

I was given a Gopro recently, so just trying a mount. Looks to be picking up the engine/prop vibration a little.
I don't have any editing software as tech is not really my thing, so all just raw footage.

wolfy
Bloody ell mate if the video was any smoother I would of though the rotor flew off and birdy would of had to do search and rescue!

From GoPro 7 onward there is a big step up in image stabilization. I have a Mosquito (they have plenty of vibes with a solid mounted rotor), and the GoPro7 smooths it out real well. Apparently the newer models are noticeably better again.
I was going to make the same comment - Hero 7, Hero 8 Black and Hero 9 Black have amazing image stabilization. Of course - if you are getting them as gifts, then the price is much better! :cool: