Rudder peddle distance

Rowdyflyer1903!

Aircraft
Cessna 140, Stinson 108-1, Culver V, Parsons Trainer
Total Flight Time
1000 hours
What is the distance between the rudder peddles on a stick controlled aircraft such as a Dominator? Cessna aircraft can have the peddles almost side by side because of the yoke type roll and pitch control conversely a joystick control must allow for full movement of the stick Between the legs of the pilot. Is there a rule of thumb or minimal distance? My control rods are not fabricated so I can’t sit in the seat and determine the maximum side to side deflection. Just guessing 12” to 16” of separation from inside to inside of the feet seems more than adequate.

This depends a bit on how close the pivot point for the stick is below your thighs and how long the stick is. In my glider, my pedals are extremely close together but the pivot is just about thigh level so there's no interference of the stick with my legs. My Bell 47 has a long stick mounted low; I'll measure the pedal separation later today and report what I get. I'm sure it's less than a foot.

The yellow card is on old AOPA plotter, with six inch ruler side showing. These are very wide pedals, but notice that centers of the floorboard pads for one's heels are about six inches from each other.
pedals.jpg

I suspect that if your cockpit permits spreading your knees a bit, you can avoid most spacing issues.

Again thank you very much. Once again I perhaps am over thinking this. I am installing toe brakes style rudder peddles from a Cessna 172. My fuselage can be whatever I choose. At the moment the width at the peddles is 24”. I believe the Bensen width at the peddles was 20”. The control is the Ken Brock style stick with the seat at 18”.

Thank you for the photo and you were kind enough to include a ruler.