Ron Massey - Alto, NM

Ruidoso Ron

Aircraft
PA-18 Super Cub
Total Flight Time
6,000+
Hi Folks! I'm new to the forum, and somewhat digitally challanged, so excuse me if this winds up in the classified thread. I am a 60 year old Texan who retired and relocated to New Mexico two years ago. I live in Alto, NM, about 5 minutes from Sierra Blanca Airport (SRR) in Ruidoso.

I was born in the aviation business, and have been flying all my life. I have an ATP-MEL, Coml-SEL & SES and FE-Turbojet. Total is about 7,000 P.I.C., 1,000 S.I.C., and some 2,000 FE. I also have 6-1/2 hours of dual in a helicopter (A-Star) which I think that I could have eventually learned to fly. I served in the Naval Reserve for 8 years as an aircrewman on the P2V Neptune, keeping the Gulf of Mexico safe from submarines. It worked, didn't it? Even though I was in during all of the Vietnam war, I never saw Vietnam. I was, however, in some of the real hot spots like Dallas and Jacksonville! In 1969 I went across the field at Navy Dallas, and signed on for 3 years as a Flight Engineer with the Texas Air National Guard on the KC-97. (Don't know if I ever refueled George W in flight, but I'd like to think so.) The KC-97 is the proof-of-concept aircraft that proved that ANYTHING will fly if you put enough horsepower on it (4 R-4360's and 2 J-47's).

I have worked in the aircraft instrument and avionics business for the last 35 years, or so. I was the Regional Sales Manager for King Radio during the 70's and 80's (before Bendix and before Honeywell). I covered 16 states and 3 provinces in a light single (usually a Mooney or a Cherokee Arrow) calling on 175 avionics shops and aircraft dealerships. Lots of fun and a lot of travel.

In the early 80's, I threw in with my brother, Bill, and we developed the largest civil helicopter instrument repair network in the world. (See www.mascoservice.com) During that period, I lived between Dallas and Lafayette, LA, which is the headquarters of the offshore helicopter industry in the Gulf of Mexico. But, as many of you, I had an itch to scratch, so I got my ATP and went to work for Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) as an F/O on an Embraer Bondorante (E-110) out of DFW. Holding down two full-time jobs, while commuting among 3 states, was more than I could handle, so I quit after about 6 months. I found that it's a lot less painful to just beat your head on the floor than to fly for a commuter. Plus, it's more profitable!

About that time, a friend of mine told me that he could get me hired at Braniff! (This was Braniff III in it's waning days) The big iron had an alure, and even though it meant that I would now have to commute to NYC, I said "Sure! Let's go." I believe that it may be documented somewhere that I was the shortest-term pilot for a major airline in history. I completed FE school, and they were gone. Never even got an ID card (or a paycheck). Probably for the better. Following the death of my brother in 1992, I trodded on for another 10 years in the instrument business and then sold my interest to my brother's son about 3 years ago.

Between Bill, our business, and myself, at various times we have owned a T-Craft L-2, a BC-12D, a Piper J-5, a PA-20, four PA18's, a Cessna 170, five 180's, a 182, a 182RG, a 185, a 210, a 310 and a 340A, A Beech Baron, a Bellanca Cruisair and a Viking, as well as a couple of Mooney's, and a partridge in a peartree. I just sold my beautiful C-180A about 6 months ago. I started out flying low and slow, and it looks as though that's how I'll wind up. However, I crewed for a friend of mine, who raced his Swearingen SX-300 in the Sport Class at Reno this year. He turned 68 on the day he won one of the Silver heats, and it really got to me. Maybe, when I grow up, I'll take up racing! I rode my Harley to Reno and back for a total of 2,800 miles. It was the longest bike ride that I have made, and I really got into it.

I have a 1954 L-21B Super Cub that served in the Italian Army for 25 years. It is now 50 years old, and I am only the second owner. I usually fly it to the Super Cub gathering at New Holstein, WI, just east of Lake Winnebago, during Oshkosh each year. I have been to Alaska in it 3 times, and to Baja California several times. I am active on the SC website, www.supercub.org.

In anticipation of the Sport Pilot rule, I have ordered plans for a 2-place Little Wing, and am watching the mailbox anxiously. I visited with Ron Herron a couple of weeks ago in Little Rock, and I was impressed with him and his product. Ron recommends the use of the Rotax 914 because the field elevation here is almost 7,000'. The DA's are usually in excess of 10,000' by noon in the summer, and there are nearby peaks in excess of 12,000'. Otherwise, I would go for the radial in a heartbeat! Don't know how to gas weld, so a friend of mine is getting ready to start to teach me. This forum has really helped to light a fire under me, and my enthusiasm is growing. Wish I could throw in with the guys in N. Indiana.

Patsy and I have been married for 12 years. It is a second go around for us both. Between us we have 3 sons, a daughter, and 5 grandsons. Patsy is a retired Flight Attendant, and we have unlimited passes for life (assuming any of the airlines survive). It is about an hour-and-a-half flight to El Paso from here, and then "the world is my oyster". If I ever get things done around the house, I hope to get out and see some of the rest of the world. Among those on the top of my list are Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Mentone. See you there?

Ron Massey
P.S. Keep your nose up in the turns!

Last edited:
Wow!

Welcome Ron! Good luck with the LW! Sounds like we will have a good batch of Little wings in the next couple of years!

See you at Mentone!

Yes, WOW Ron M.

Great to read your Bio. I wish you luck with your Little Wing and I am sure you will like it.

I hope you don't mind me asking this but after reading all your experience with aviation the first thing that pops up in my head is Chuck Ellsworth. He too has alot of aviation background. I was wondering how do you view gyros and gyro pilots in general? I am asking because Chuck has commented before negatively on how we are percieved by the rest of the aviation world. I guess I am wondering if he is right...

Ron
In my experience gyro pilots are so few and far between that they are NOT percieved by GA pilots. Despite my interest in gyros I have NEVER seen one at any GA airport except when I actually went to something like Bensen days.
Nevertheless I am very sensitive to the issue and I think we should do everything possible to enourage gyro pilots to take ground school classes or at least read some GA books designed for PPL students.

Rob

Tim, Ron, & Rob,

Thanks for the welcome! I really feel that I am going to enjoy the Forum and interaction with all of you. There sure is a wealth of knowledge among the contributors. Ron, in answer to your question, yes, I think that the gyro community is looked upon with a degree of skepticism by the mainstream aviation establishment. Even though gyros have been around since the 20’s, this is still a relatively unknown entity. After all, people see airplanes all day in their comings and goings, and have grown to accept them as normal. It wasn’t always that way, and aviation’s early geniuses were looked upon as daring kooks, which a lot of them were! But let’s face it; many of the world’s greatest achievements have been accomplished by kooks. Not to cast disparity guys, but I have seen some evidence of erratic thought processes on this site. Great! Some of these off-mainstream techniques may evolve into real industry-changing innovations. The Carter Copter is the first example that comes to mind.

I would like say this about self-taught pilots. I can remember when I started flying back in the early 60’s, and the early single-place Bensen-type aircraft were gaining popularity. I suppose, at the time, there weren't many ways to learn to fly a gyro other than self-instruction. This probably contributed to the image of the dare-devil gyro pilot as much as anything (not to mention the casualty statistics). Even though the Little Wing appears to be about as docile and safe a flying machine as is possible, I would not even consider transitioning to the gyro without flight instruction. These days, it just isn’t necessary. I think you guys are doing the community a real service by establishing networks of instructors and approved training procedures, and emphasizing the need for professional training. I believe that in time, sites such as this will also help polish the image. The open discussions about innovations, accidents, component failures, pilot errors, etc. can't help but improve the safety, and eventually the image of the gyro heads.

Ron Massey
“Nose up in the turns!”

Last edited:
Hi Ron, I see you made it. BTW I forgot to tell you - If you bring your cub over we could probably get those wings right off and help you start your upgrade..... jtm

Attachments

• piper cub mike g flyingadjusted copy.gif
    piper cub mike g flyingadjusted copy.gif
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks Jim,
Don't think that I haven't considered it, but No! Promised the Cub to my oldest grandson, if he ever gets off his rear end, and learns to fly. Say! not to invite myself, but I can get to Chicago real easily out of ELP on AA. Would love to drive over to Rolling Prairie and see the factory some weekend when you guys are in full production. Got my plans from Ron this week, and I already have a thousand questions. Checked out Rolling Priarie on Airnav. Guess you'll be using Oprah's heliport when you're flying? Love your progress reports. Keep on posting!

HI Ron M.
You are welcome as many other people who drop by Rich's house to "check on us". I drive about 2.25hrs from Lansing Michigan down pretty close to LaPort Indiana. I am unsure of the drive time from a Chicago Airport over to us but I know it isn't that far. I photographed a Wedding in Chicago this summer and stayed at Rich's house. Didn't seem very far.....

As far as full production we kinda work in shifts as we come and go. A few times all 3 of us have been working at the same time. I was coming down on Sundays because of all my Saturday Weddings. Now that Saturdays aren't as busy I am going to be able to do more Saturdays. Rich prefers Sat's as he can work later without having to get up for (real)work the next morning so I am doing my best. Last week we went to Bobs woods and got the stuff we need to keep working this winter. Don't know how long 1 1/2 pickup loads will last but..... should help. Anyway, I know you would like to stop by and just let us know, ok? Glad you made it here - It is the best place around.... jtm