My wife loves me buidling gyros

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I have akways tried to keep the "toy" budget balanced between myself and Barb.

When I bought my Air Command....Barb got a new oak dining room table.

When I bought my RAF2000....she got her new kitchen.

Now that I am building a SparrowHawk.....I am building her a garden shed.

Barb loves me buying and building gyros!!

I am focusing my efforts on her shed right now/ All I can do is paint my SparrowHawk frame while I am waiting on the rest of my SparrowHawk kit to arrive. Cant waste anytime. Jeff and I put up the microlam and the rafters yesterday. I should have the rest of the plywood on today.

Stan

Attachments

• My wife loves me buidling gyros
    1a1barbsa.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
    1a1barbsb.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
    1a1barbsc.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Stan, I hate to hear that trend. I'm glad my wife doesn't browse the forum.

The once or twice I was up in that area I noticed all the yards are so green and weed free and in good health. That isn't fair you know!!! If I could get all my lawns to look like Stans Lawn, I would be a rich man!

The only problem with that Ron, is that it will be under snow for the next 6 months! :D

So Stan, How much is the sparrowhawk going to cost you when you figure in the Wifes projects?! :)
It is important to keep the Wife happy, Mary is going to get a new top for Her mustang, and a new paintjob on it, It is paid for, and She likes it, so paint and a new top sure is better than a new car!

I'll get around to the house stuff later.

Scott: I am not the least concerned what my SparrowHawk/ Garden shed is costing me just as long as Barb gets what she wants as well. :) Life is too short accumulating just cash.

I will say that Barb was very reluctant to fly in my RAF....because of some of the stuff she has read.....but she says she will ride in the SparrowHawk. so....my point is that I will be using some of her shed...and she will be enjoying the gyro as well.

Like most of us here on this forum...I am creating some nice memories to sit back in my rocking chair someday and think....dang I sure am glad I did some neat stuff. :) So far my gyro experiences have just been more fun than I realized.

I thought that maybe I would be miserable being a surface dweller while I am building my SparrowHawk for 8 months or so. But...its been a lot of pleasure putting each piece carefully together....and knowing I will be back in the air this spring.

Stan

My Husband Loves Me Building Gyros

My Husband Loves Me Building Gyros

Look at this neat-o workshop that I am building and will let him use sometimes. We also just set up a deal to buy a trailer to move the Sparrowhawk, which can also be used to fill up the workshop with more power tools.

Attachments

IMGP2673.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1
Stan your getting off cheap ,,,, my gyro is costing me a new house and in-ground pool. Got the basement almost laid up now the masons will be finished by Wed. Ran water , power, and phone conduits to the basement wall today. But a deal is a deal ..

Mike

Heather: Is your shop going to be the hanger as well? That will be a nice setup you have going.

Stan

Mike, A new house & an in ground pool? God bless you ! :eek:

Stan , I gotta agree with you, building is kinda fun. Flying what you have built is even better!

Did you pour a slab for the shed? Did you design it? Did you get a PERMIT ? :D

Ron, my little crab grass lawn was about 3 ft tall when I got back from CA. I cut it so short that I killed it !

So I removed some excess dirt & leveled it & replanted real grass seed.

Anyway, I noticed these holes in the dirt, I thought they were from earthworms. Turns out that they are these nasty looking little grubs! :( How do I get rid of them?

I would not mind having a nice patch of grass for my dogs to do their business on! :rolleyes:

Chris: You have to use some grub-be-gone. :D

That shed is on a slab with a deep perimeter. 3/8 rebar every two feet.

Permit....you bet.

I designed it....but consulted someone in what size to use for the microlam ridge beam. It is 24 feet long. The inside is completely open to the ceiling and that ridge has to not move...or the walls would start bulging.

As far as my lawn.....got to give my wife credit for that. She is constantly pulling out bits of crabgrass...and we keep it fertilized and water it through the dry spells.

I cant wait to fly over her new shed in the SparrowHawk. :D

Stan

Chris, if you want to kill the grubs you better do it now as in a few weeks it will be too late and you will have to wait till next may to treat the lawn.

The easiest thing to do is to buy "Seven" in pelletized form and spread it out on the entire lawn. Let it sit dry for 24 hours and then water the lawn real well to water in the chemical and the grubs - and all other pesky insects - will be no more in your lawn.

StanFoster said:
Heather: Is your shop going to be the hanger as well? That will be a nice setup you have going.
Stan

Stan,
Initially the workshop will be a hanger as well, and I plan to trailer the Sparrowhawk to one of the local airports. With a 14' high door, I believe that I will be able to back it into the shop while still on the trailer.
Heather

Stan, I was impressed that there is no, none, zero construction mess around the shed. not even some dirt showing.
Heather I like what you have going as well.
Guys if you want another way to wheel and deal with your wife consider this:

How he got to go fishing.
Four married guys go fishing. After an hour, the following conversation takes place:

First guy: "You have no idea what I had to do to be able to come out fishing this weekend. I had to promise my wife that I will paint every room in our house next weekend!"

Second guy: "That's nothing. I had to promise my wife that I would build her a new deck for the pool."

Third guy: "Man, you both have it easy! I had to promise my wife that I will remodel the kitchen for her."

They continue to fish, when they realize that the fourth guy has not said a word. So they ask him, "You haven't said anything about what you had to do to be able to come fishing this weekend. What's the deal?"

Fourth guy: "I just set my alarm for 5:30 a.m. When it went off, I shut off my alarm, gave the wife a nudge, and said, "Fishing or sex?" and she said, "Wear sun block."

Mark: The grass around the shed? I just bought 35 rolls of sod last Sunday an layed it around. Instant yard...no mess going in and out. We keep it watered everyday and its already rooting in. If you look closely...you can stiil see where its layed right up to the shed.

I hate working in clutter...and am always picking up. It would cost me a lot of downtime working in my stairshop if it was all cluttered up.

Stan

Last edited:
Heather: You should have all kinds of clearance. The SparrowHawk is around 9 ft. 7- 8 inches... Surely your trailor wont be much more than two feet off the ground. I bet a 12 foot door would be plenty. But....you may have a lot higher trailer in mind...

Stan