Monkeys fly gyros?

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(1) Air Command, (1) Bensen glider project (1) Air Command 2 place kit, (1) Sycamore gyro
Total Flight Time
Best known as the drummer of The Monkees, George Michael Dolenz Jr. - aka Micky - has fashioned a long-lasting and diversified career in show business. The son of actor George Dolenz, Micky, with American Indian and Yugoslavian blood in his heritage, took to acting as a boy, earning great success in the 1950s with "Circus Boy" (1956). Though he continued to act with the show's end, he focused more on college studies, his most passionate interest being architecture. He also delved into singing, performing in LA-area clubs with a band called Micky & The One-Nighters as well as with a band called Missing Links; among those who saw Micky in action was Michael Nesmith. Micky auditioned for "Monkees, The" (1966) TV series in 1965, and on the strength of his audition won a role and became the group's designated crazy one. Assigned as a drummer, Micky worked to learn the instrument well enough to bluff his way through filming. He was also initially welcome to the musical guidance of Don Kirshner, but as Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork grew more openly rebellious of the restrictions imposed, Micky, who could be hotheaded, quickly sided with his bandmates, and when the group began touring for real in late 1966 Micky learned drumming to pull off concerts.

Enjoyed crafts, hobbies and building things - including a Gyrocopter (sold as a kit in the 1960s and 70s) in his living room, but had to have a wall torn out to take it outside.

wow.

That would be great to follow up on. I met him once at a hotel bar but that was long before I even knew what a gyro was.

I built, or rather re-built my first powered Bensen style gyro in the basement of the apartment building where I was living. My workbench happened to be on top of a towel and cardboard covered washer and dryer; my bride didn't think too well of this set-up but, sometimes you have to make do with what's available, right!?

When I was finished with the re-build, it had to go outside. I had a friend come over for the occasion. We propped it upright and removed the axle and wheels. Carried it up the stairs and straight outside. I don't know what I would have done if I had to make a 90* turn at the top of the basement stairs. Put the axle/wheels onto the keel and was ready for travel to the airstrip.

I'll bet there are all kinds of stories out there, about how gyronuts go about getting the job done.