Kellett KD-1 joins the Army

Nice find. A complete primer on the autogiro. Tail differential incidence, thrust line thru the c.g., it is all there, before jump take-off.

Sure it's great stuff, but every time I try, I get the message 'This webpage is not available'...

The jump takeoff version of the Kellett KD-1 was the XO-3 with fixed rotorhead and swashplate cyclic control.

GE’s Schenectady research center used an XO-3 as a dynamometer for measuring the cold characteristics of the rotor from the Doblhoff tip jet helicopter. The XO-3 had a 60 HP rotor drive.

Igor Bensen, who was project engineer for GE’s tip jet program, related the story of landing an XO-3 on a frozen lake in Schenectady, and being unable to get enough traction to start the rotor, having to be towed off.

GE supplied the propulsion system for what became the Hughes XH-17 tip jet helicopter. The XH-17 began as a Kellett program that was purchased by Hughes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dHHTUPdwtvQ

It’s in PDF format, Xavier. Do you have a PDF reader installed on your computer?

Thanks, yes... I have one installed... And I have tried with two different computers, a Mac and Windows-PC.

I'll ask my son, who knows better about computers and internet...

You’re right, Juergen. I had the link on my computer without reference to the Forum but also had a vague recollection that it might have been posted before. Sorry for the plagiarism.

Never mind, Chuck, I was only embarrassed that it took me so long to realize that it was actually me who had posted it before...gracious Miss Agnes, my memory is deteriorating...(sigh)

XXavier. The first time I opened it all I got was a white page I hit the refresh page button and it open it then. Don't know if it will help but that worked on my tablet.

Sincerely SWilliams

XXavier. The first time I opened it all I got was a white page I hit the refresh page button and it open it then. Don't know if it will help but that worked on my tablet.

Sincerely SWilliams

Thanks, but it doesn't work, either... I'll try again tomorrow. :wave:

The rest of that journal issue is amazing if you have the time to look at. While one General is quite astutely looking at fairly complicated aerodynamics and doing a great job of explaining it to cannoneers nearly 80 years ago (and showing a better understanding than some of our more recent self-styled gyro designers), there's also a Colonel who raves about how much better horses are for moving artillery than trucks "because of the better vision in the dark which horses possess as compared to chauffeurs." Amazing stuff.

During WWII, the Japanese experimented with gunpowder rockets on the blade tips of their version of the Kellett kD-1.