Dominator 10' takeoff

Michael Ray

Continuing to enjoy my RFD tandem Dominator powered by a Viking 110 hp engine. It is very stable and handles so well. Stop and drop landings are easy now and started practicing takeoffs in 10 feet or less. Prerotation to 200 rpm and then the right amount of throttle for a smooth lift off. This would be really helpful if I land in a remote area on a road or a hard salt salina flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYeR8rlkaLw&t=145s

Mike

Very cool!!! Looks like you had some wind.
What kind of shocks do you have on her for a ten foot drop landing?

shocks and wind

shocks and wind

Hi John

Yes- we always have a little wind here with the trades at 15 to 20 mph. That day it was blowing straight down the runway but usually blows across the runway and I land across. The 10' is the roll for the takeoff and the stop and drops are only a few feet or less off the tarmac. However, I do have some really nice shocks on the Dominator. They are Afco coil over racing shocks and work well. Dave Seace at Wachula Fl. put them on for me. a few pics of shocks and my really tight "hanger" here on the island.

Mike

Attachments

• 20160712_134416.jpg
    20160712_134416.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20160712_134717.jpg
    20160712_134717.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 5
The part number is: $$$$-$$$
just kidding. :)
They are not cheap, but they do work very well. Dave Seace may know where to order them.

Got my Afco 1665-16 series small threaded twin tube shocks, 6" inch comp. 5/5 reb.
106291-250# Afco 1-7/8 springs, 10" spring rate.
Afco coil over R-series kit, 10-620123, for my Dominator from (Speedway motors), yes they are expensive.
My Dominator has a heavy engine so it needed 250# rated springs. The springs come in many different rates for the weight there going to carry.

Michael whats your experience with the Viking been so far?

Jordan,

My personal experience with the Viking engine has been very good. The engine provides plenty of power for my tandem Dominator. It starts with the first push of the starter button every time. Even with a 200 lb. passenger, it is not a problem. However, the gyro is light at 560 lb.s empty. I just didn't need all those fairings etc. here as it is always warm and I fly low and slow to see the beautiful terrain and sea here. I am burning 89 octane gasoline which is a real blessing as av gas would be almost impossible to get and keep here on a remote island. The best part is it burns only 4 to 5 gph depending on my passenger weight.

As far as factory support, they have been really good and quickly respond to any inquiries. The only problem that I have ever had with the engine was that the oil tank leaked at the removable top. I replaced it with their all welded design. However, it was slow to pick up suction. They sent me at no cost an adaption to pick up oil out of the bottom of the tank and that problem went away.

Anyway- hope this helps and ask any questions that you have-

Mike