Build thread on the GT-VX2 Explorer.

Looking very good, that horizontal stab is that purely just relying on the clamping force of the one bolt to hold it's incidence? or is there another bolt inboard also?

wolfy
No, there is a clamp at each end.

This is really great being able to see the brute-force engineering that is sometimes necessary in projects of this complexity. I believe one of the most telling qualities of an engineer is their response to problems. Denis seems to turn them into shining moments. Very impressive stuff, this.

He certainly gets stuck right in sorts out problems. The pre-rotator assembly that had been designed for the Rotax 582 needed to be changed due to the opposite rotation direction of the 912ULS. So Denis got going on the computer sorting out what he cheerfully called 'CAD Salad’.

Luckily it seems that most of the parts remained the same with only a few that have had to be changed.

image001.png

Thank you for sharing the fun Leigh.

Your progress is an inspiration to me.

I look forward to seeing the GT-VX Explorer at Bensen days.

Will you be there with her?

Thank you for sharing the fun Leigh.

Your progress is an inspiration to me.

I look forward to seeing the GT-VX Explorer at Bensen days.

Will you be there with her?
Vance it has simply been a sharing of my admiration of Denis’s immaculate work that started when we were both working on our very first Hornet gyro builds when we first got in contact, and, his continued refinement of what I found was a delightful flying machine.

It is so far in advance of what my son and I did, but at the same time the crystallisation of a dream to be able to participate in having what I feel will be exactly what I was looking for in a flying machine. It has been an absolute privilege to work on the kit he has built and to be able to see him develop this new model as it takes shape.

Yes a pod would be greater protection for the longer flights I hope to do, but already Denis is working on a windshield that will afford greater protection. Certainly this will be for some, that agile arial dirt bike, but, at the same time have the legs and the grunt to be able to take a load of basic camping gear for those longer exploratory flights that some of us, including you, have always dreamed of.

Certainly hope I will Vance, it will be good to see you again. We have met now a few times at Bensen days, and I will never forget my trip to you to fly the Predator, but certainly the continuing effects of this present pandemic on world travel, and possibilities of travel bans amongst other things is certainly a concern. Denis has had flue in the family, luckily the normal kind, which has been a concern, but he is certainly very determined to be there to share what he has to offer at Bensen Days, Sun N Fun and a number of other aviation venues throughout the year.

He is completely passionate about his gyros, and that can certainly seen in everything he does and builds, in both the GT-VX1, in this new model the Explorer, and, in the Razor Blade rotors he is now producing. Everything he does or makes is flown by him, his attention to the smallest detail extremely focussed, along with an uncompromising attitude to quality and standards, as I have personally been witness to, and hopefully, been able to show.

The second looks a bit like a Cricket pod JM.

The first one did at least provide some more protection, than being completely open, and to be fair was not completely ugly.

Beauty is after all, in the eye of the beholder. :) ...creator.

According to Ernie (RFD) on the single place Dom. there's a huge huge difference in top speed between pod and no pod, he lists without the pod and windshield, top speed 90 MPH, with pod and windshield 110+ MPH, that's a hell of a difference. That's a lot less air blasting you in the face and body with the pod and windshield.

The anodized parts look great. Do you have an opinion on this vs powder coating? I make lots of electrical panels using anodized aluminum but also for parts with powder coating.

According to Ernie (RFD) on the single place Dom. there's a huge huge difference in top speed between pod and no pod, he lists without the pod and windshield, top speed 90 MPH, with pod and windshield 110+ MPH, that's a hell of a difference. That's a lot less air blasting you in the face and body with the pod and windshield.

I completely accept that finding, and at some stage will look into the possibilities of a pod or fairing. There have been some very attractive motorcycle fairings and with the advances made in carbon fibre it will certainly be a future possibility

The anodized parts look great. Do you have an opinion on this vs powder coating? I make lots of electrical panels using anodized aluminum but also for parts with powder coating.
I like both, and, without detailed knowledge, have accepted that there have been valid reasons for using both methods on certain parts.

don't be afraid, the bolt is around 6mm in diameter, it's resistance in 8.8 steel class is 1200 daN, 1200 kilos ( up to the elastic limit) , it is huge , the screw forces the aluminium part in contact with the tube on a large surface, this is absolutely enough to maintain the flap in the chosen pitch position ,

in addition an bolts are even stronger
Thanks jm I totally agree regarding the bolt strength is well up to the task. But until Resasi confirmed there is a second blot and clamp per side I was concerned that one clamp may not have been enough.

wolfy

There's a huge huge difference in top speed between pod and no pod, he lists without the pod and windshield, top speed 90 MPH, with pod and windshield 110+ MPH, that's a hell of a difference.
In my opinion, the difference in indicated speed is mainly due to the bad static pressure pick-up inside the pod.
With such a fairing and windshield don't expect more than an extra 5 mph true and probably even less.

Last edited:
I completely accept that finding, and at some stage will look into the possibilities of a pod or fairing. There have been some very attractive motorcycle fairings and with the advances made in carbon fibre it will certainly be a future possibility

I like both, and, without detailed knowledge, have accepted that there have been valid reasons for using both methods on certain parts.
Answered my own question this morning. Was told that the anodized coating is more durable and resists corrosion better. Sure looks nice!

I guess Ernie wanted to sell pods, maybe he'll jump in and clarify!

Streamlining can have a huge effect on drag. The amount of drag just generated by a round cable as opposed to a airfoil shape seems out of proportion but a fact.

It would not so much be the increase in overall efficiency, fuel economy and increase in airspeed however that I would be after with a fairing, pod, and windshield, but more a case of simple comfort and protection from wind blast.

Sure looks nice!
I consider myself extremely fortunate as I find both the anodised, and the powder-coated blue parts equally attractive.

The highlighting technique Denis has perfected really does make it ‘pop!’, as he says, and I heartily agree.

This whole journey has been exceptionally interesting, rewarding, and a given me great deal of pleasure...and as they say...the best is yet to come.

JM there are infinite versions of any gyro, what you have described just the two extremes of that spectrum. The the CT-VX2 ‘Explorer’ that is now being built is simply a higher powered iteration of the 582 powered kit that Denis sells.

I for instance had really enjoyed the handling of that first Hornet, and, had been fortunate enough to have sampled the differing flying characteristics/qualities of the RAF 2000 which was the first Gyro I had started training on, followed by the 503 Bensen with Rotorhawk rotors, then a 532 powered Bensen with Rotordynes, then a Volkswagon powered Bensen with McCutchen rotors, a Merlin, a Cricket, they all noticeably handled a little differently, to be able to say that. We had a really friendly group first at Henstridge before then moving to Little Rissington where at its peak we had over 30 gyros and people did let me try their machines.

It was pretty unique. It is one thing to go up in a two seater and the owner says try it out, quite another where a single seat owner says that. But we were watching each other fly all the time, and some apparently had felt comfortable enough to do that, which looking back was a huge privilege.

Denis has personally built over 11 versions, each steadily incorporating more improvements that add to the safety, and functionality of the core gyro. This is now another incremental step in evolving the capabilities of that origional Bee design, and will add to what it will be able to do.

It is a basic machine, but we have already anticipated that because of the endurance and intention to stay up longer and to go further, coupled with the possibility that it may fly faster, we will be looking at ways to protect the pilot without going to a full pod.

I agree entirely with KISS, but, at the same time feel that small but significant additions will improve the aims of what we are looking for in this machine. Allow that ‘fun’ and joy we are experiencing with gyro flight not to be spoilt by suffering cold and extended wind blast on the longer flights.

Denis has already designed and produced a machine that will allow him to put straight line bends and curves in quite thick pespex, which will allow us to develop a small but sturdy windshield and probably not long before a simple form of leg protection.

These will change the flight characteristics, but hopefully by doing it in small steps we can obtain the best for the smallest amount of change.

Last edited:
Then is is no longer KISS. Yes we are looking at the possibility of more basic protections without going to quite the complexity of a pod. Hybrid protection if you will. Better than nothing but not the whole schmear.

I have seen Denis at work, posed him the problem, and am wondering what might happen. He mulls it over and lets the problem simmer away and so far has come up with some neat solutions to situations and problems I would never have envisiged...which is why he is doing this, and I just sit back in awe at the solutions he comes up with.

Really helpful for you to have such an brilliant and meticulous craftsman working with you on your own gyro eh Leigh!! Also nice to see a new cluster of gyro heads in another portion of the country. Gyroplanes seem very localized across the U.S.

That is an understatement John. I met Denis online around ten years ago when we were corresponding over our initial Hornet builds, just loved his workmanship and attention to detail then. When he declared his intentions to start making kits and started Gyro Technic I was delighted and jumped at the opportunity, and what a great experience it has been.

Things slowed down considerably due the new world circumstances, however progress is still being made despite this.

Denis redesigned new engine mounts to cope with the increased weight and thrust from the 912. New risers to cope with a bigger pod which was accommodating a different instrument package, and, which was now in a different position to cope with movement of the seat.

These parts then had to be machined then sent for anodising. This all took time, and with the cancellation of Bensen days, other work he had lined up could move up in priority... but they have arrived.

The engine has for a while been on a prototype frame, but as design get finalised it will soon get remounted on production parts which are having final touches added.

Blue 3-23-66.jpg

The build goes on.