Build thread on the GT-VX2 Explorer.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
In my opinion pointing the exhaust up will make things seem quieter from the ground Leigh.

It is my observation that sound is surprisingly directional.

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
150+
Looking really nice, any speculation on a sale price? I want mine in an anodized Red

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Looking really nice, any speculation on a sale price? I want mine in an anodized Red
I think you get a quote from Denis, it does vary according to exactly what one wants. Red would look good, his brakes are that colour and look very nice.

In my opinion pointing the exhaust up will make things seem quieter from the ground Leigh.

It is my observation that sound is surprisingly directional.
I would rend to agree with you Vance, and in these present times there do seem to be more and more noise sensitive areas.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I think I ruffled feathers when I posted earlier that I didn't like the idea of the Efis panel.... So I am reluctant to post my thoughts on the exhaust.... But I am GYRO RON afterall, and GYRO RON has always had a problem with keeping his opinions to himself! LOL

I do NOT like the exhaust you guys have chosen. I am a big fan of a 4 into 1 system and also a fan of something quiet. Those 912 engines can be very quiet with a proper exhaust.

Why not install something like this?

http://www.falconaircraft.cz/en/inzerce/inzerat/zenair-ch-601-and-ch-701-exhaust-system-rotax-912

Or if you feel like it can't be under the engine, something like this,

I will admit, some of the exhaust systems are damn expensive

Sv.grainne

I was looking through your posts and photos and did not see a picture of the flight controls. Specifically looking for an image or two of the pivot block setup and control forks for rotor head control. Do you have any yet that you can post?

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
I think I ruffled feathers when I posted earlier that I didn't like the idea of the Efis panel.... So I am reluctant to post my thoughts on the exhaust.... But I am GYRO RON afterall, and GYRO RON has always had a problem with keeping his opinions to himself! LOL

I do NOT like the exhaust you guys have chosen. I am a big fan of a 4 into 1 system and also a fan of something quiet. Those 912 engines can be very quiet with a proper exhaust.

Why not install something like this?

http://www.falconaircraft.cz/en/inzerce/inzerat/zenair-ch-601-and-ch-701-exhaust-system-rotax-912

Or if you feel like it can't be under the engine, something like this,

I will admit, some of the exhaust systems are damn expensive
No feathers ruffled Ron. I did want a 4 into one, and had it. Unfortunately could not fit it under, or over, due the geometry of pipes and where various other bits were positioned.

These can be fitted with silencers if too loud.

I was looking through your posts and photos and did not see a picture of the flight controls. Specifically looking for a image of two of the pivot block setup and forks for rotor head control. Do you have any yet that you can post?
20200126_113640.jpg

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Also, possibly louder inside the helmet, and with an odd modulation from reflections off the rotor. It will also require some measure to prevent water collection.

Sv.grainne

No feathers ruffled Ron. I did want a 4 into one, and had it. Unfortunately could not fit it under, or over, due the geometry of pipes and where various other bits were positioned.

View attachment 1146614

View attachment 1146614

Thanks for the picture, nice.

Bobby

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Also, possibly louder inside the helmet, and with an odd modulation from reflections off the rotor. It will also require some measure to prevent water collection.
Both good points Paul. As always having many eyes on can certainly bring considerations to light that flew right over my head.:)

Presently 'doing a swan’.

Serene above with little showing, legs going like buggaree under the water.

Headway is being made.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Re above, while I have been doing some serene swanning, Denis, the legs below the surface, has been doing some serious work.

The short temporary engine mount beams so far seen, with the temp white mounts, were there to enable us to simply position the engine and get better ideas on the geometry that would be needed for routing fuel hoses, oil lines, exhausts, the positions of oil and water coolers and the pre-rotator shafts.

Original short lower mounts.
Short Mounts.jpg

Uppers
Upper Mounts - Original.jpg

Denis has now designed and machined the final mounts for the new GT-VX2 which incorporate adjustments on both sides of the engine, that give increased support, and, better clearance for the coolant hoses.

Originally, for simplicity we had the fronts cut away to provide clearance for the coolant hoses. Although this design provided strength to transfer thrust from the engine to the two forward mounts, it was weak in the vertical direction.

This still would have been ok, since the majority of the engine weight is centered over the rear 4 mounts. But it wasn’t good enough for Denis.

The hose was close to touching the angle mount so he raised the engine ¼” to take care of this. The hoses now pass through windows in this angle which has added much strength to the mount. The left and right sides were not mirrored but have a separate window positions to accommodate the hoses on each respective side of the engine.

See (Hose Pocket Right) and
Hose Pocket - Right.jpg

(Hose Pocket Left)
Hose Pocket - Left.jpg

The new full versions of the lower mounts now extend forward to the lower seat spine and connect to the rear seat angles. The new front portion of these now serving for a battery mounting area, that is easily accessible. The battery area was a bit buried in the VX1and not that easy to access.

One of the beauties of Denis’s design is the complete access one has to all areas of the engine.
Full Length Mounts.jpg

Everything with the new full length mounts is now tied together, providing complete support throughout the frame for the 80 or 100 HP of thrust

The 2” square tube is in the centre of the suspension “bridge” plates which bolt to this tube, which in turn is bolted to the full-length lower engine mount angles. This ties the suspension forces into the lower engine mounts, along with the bolts going downward through the upper bridge plate into the lower engine mount angles, providing an all round integrity

New suspension springs will soon be mounted, and a double check made of the clearance in full compression, which will give us the new travel rate and G load at full compression.

With regard to the VX1 VX2 pre-rotator drives, there is plenty of overhead clearance of the engine for the direct drive shaft, (as opposed to the cable drive), to the Wunderlich, with the ability to use many of the GT-VX1 components. However a number of components will need to be flipped due to the prop rotation (CCW)of the 912/914’s being opposite to the CW rotation of the 503/582 models. Looking at the prop, on a 582 rotation is CW. Looking at the prop on a 912 rotation is CCW.

Pulley diameters, belt length, guards and many components will be the same, however the belt tensioner will need to be flipped
PR Dirve Capture.JPG
The tensioner need to be to the other side so that we are tensioning the slack side of the belt, together with a longer clutch cable to actuate.

The 90 degree gearbox, which formerly was designed to reverse shaft direction will now be changed to keep rotation in the same direction as input.

New instrument pod risers are being made to raise the pod 4” higher and will tilt and angle the pod back closer for easier access/vision of the panel.

Lots ongoing.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
We, oops, a bit presumptuous, Denis thought the new model deserved a decal of its own, and we, I did have input, came up with this which I think sums up what we hope from the machine.

explorer.jpg

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Looks nice. When completed where will you fly? UK, Kenya, USA?

Bobby
Bobby I had really hoped a couple of years back, that this would be the sort of machine I could operate in Kenya. However it wasn’t around and time, and life moved on. I have relocated to the UK, though I do still visit, but it is there I spend the majority of my time.

I have been looking for a single like this in the UK, but it wasn’t there, though there were possibilities that were being mentioned, but never seemed to transpire.

Finaly Denis decide to push ahead with the GT-VX1, which I saw and loved at first sight...as having possibilities. Got back in touch, and it appeared there had been other enquiries about a 912 version...hence...the GT VX2 Explorer.

As it is a first of type it has been decided to build then test fly in the US, to ensure that it meets BCAR section T requirements both structurally and in flight stability. Approval will then be sought for it to be an approved kit in the UK, and if successful, then flown in the UK.

At the present time single seat gyros over there are all much older designs. There are newer ones in the pipeline for approval, this being one of them.

Sv.grainne

Sounds great, spent some time in Winchcombe, then Narrow boating around the Midlands. Did a great CAMRA get together as well, really enjoyed my time there. Do you have a blog or website where we can follow along?

Bobby

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Sounds great, spent some time in Winchcombe, then Narrow boating around the Midlands. Did a great CAMRA get together as well, really enjoyed my time there. Do you have a blog or website where we can follow along?

Bobby
Never done narrow boating, but sounds like fun.

This is about the only place I post Bobby, and only at this length because of the build.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
200ish
Leigh,
could you ask Denis ( if it not a secret ) what kind of chemical product he uses to prepare the aluminium before painting the rudder ?
and could you ask him if he uses a primer ? and which one ? and after the primer which kind of paint ?

when I see the result I wonder if I will also have my tall tail painted ?

this Fellow works really well

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Jm, can certainly ask, but I know that Denis has places near him that he uses for anodising and powder coating. It may be the same place but possibly not. They do everything including the prepping.

They certainly do a lovely job on both.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
200ish
ok , I understand, no need to ask him so.. I think that I will leave my rudder naked anyway