Bendix king AV8OR issue

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
Hello AV8OR handheld users!
I'm having an issue with my AV8OR handheld and I'm wondering if anybody else is having the same trouble.
When the unit gets even slightly warm, it quickly loses all satellite connections. I have to remove the battery and hold the unit in front of an a/c vent (or out the window in the winter) for quite a while before it will work again. After a lot of experimenting today, I found that if I put it on my dashboard up by the defroster vents and run it there it will keep working. Of course, by that time of the day it was out of the sun. I'm going to try this tomorrow to see if it will go all day that way. I use a blue paper towel folded in 2 to cover it and protect it from the sun. When using this method, I can get 4 - 6 hours before it heats itself up and ceases functioning.
Has anybody else experienced this? Has anybody had any dealings with Bendix King support for these units?
I haven't had a chance to use it for flying yet, as I haven't had an engine last long enough to give me the chance. But I can't imagine it would be of any use up there since I wouldn't be able to keep it cool or shade it.

I have 2 of them and they don't have any temperature issues and I've not had one cease functioning. Normally they are on DC power and in the sun when in use and in service for around 4 hours, so they get warm. I've also had them on for 9 continuous hours for a couple of trips.
I believe there is no more hardware support as they are discontinued. Only software/database updates at $35 a pop.

Possibly the battery?

Possibly the battery?

Do you run the AV8OR with the power cable plugged in? A battery at the end of its life can resist a charge and overheat.
If you need a new battery, Google the battery number and buy on ebay. I got 2 new batteries with shipping for under $20. They are also used in discontinued cell phones.
Good Luck

anyone know if it's possible to update the drive maps software ?

also from a heat point of view and to extend batt life maybe you have the screen on max brightness... if you can, try winding down the brightness, it's in the set up somewhere. but you may want to fit a light shield round it so you can see it clearly, no point in staring at it trying to make out the dim screen and having a mid air
good luck
Peter

Thanks for the advice guys.
So I found that, if I keep the unit in front of a vent at all times, it doesn't lose the connection. But that won't do if I ever want to use it for flying.
As far as the heat issue goes, it isn't due to a battery issue. The unit runs for a long time on the battery, and the problem happens when the battery and the cover are removed from the unit. The black cover sucks up the heat so much that I can barely hold onto it.
So, I suppose I'll look for an external antenna to try that, and if that doesn't do it then I'll have to buy a new one.
Thanks again.

why are you using it in your car? I use my Samsung G3 for in car GPS... much better.

I use my GS5 quite a bit, but it's dependent on an internet connection. I spend a lot of time out in areas where there is no internet via AT&T. So I need a self contained GPS as well. I love the AV8OR in drive mode as a driving GPS. The screen is laid out well and it controls easily with the left hand.
After more testing yesterday, I believe my AV8OR is on it's last leg. It will only work as long as it's cold. Even slightly warm now and it loses all satellites. :Cry:

We are giving away a brand new AV8OR in a raffle at our fly-in this year. (Steve Weir Memorial Fly-In, Anahuac Texas, October 16 - 18). Buy some raffle tickets, you may end up with a new one.

Sorry, just had to do that.

Hey! It's worth a shot, right?
How much are the tickets and do I have to be present to win?

Don't have to be present, we have not discussed ticket price yet, I think we were kinda waiting to see what else we could get together. So far its just the GPS, a set of Cresent wrenches, and a watch, we may also do a gas grill.

Let me know when you decide on a price. You can count on me for a handful.

Glen,

I was under the impression that they were going to discontinue the AV80R due to many problems. I guess I was lucky with mine it has been trouble free. I do keep it plugged in and very seldom use it battery powered. How is your Yamaha conversion coming along??

It's going well... slow. It's at a shop getting an exhaust system right now. I actually have a couple of things I need to talk about with you, John. I'll be in contact soon.

I have a AV8OR ACE in my turbine helicopter as the backup unit. The temperatures gets very hot inside the interior when it is sitting on the ground in the sun here in Southern California. I never have a problem with it, no matter how hot it is inside. Try disabling unnecessary functions, like bluetooth. Run the unit on the 12V cigarette plug or the 120V adapter without the battery, and see how it works. You may just have a defective battery. The weak link in these units is the on/off switch. That is what most of the problems are related to besides corrupted databases from incorrectly installing updates. Heat is the biggest enemy of batteries, and you might want to keep it in a location out of direct sunlight.

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Glen,

Feel free to call me whenever you want, the later the better in the evening! Looking forward to seeing it fly.