Aviomania Genesis 912

Aviomania

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyros, Airoplanes, Gliders, Motorgliders, Trikes, Microlights
Total Flight Time
3000+
As promised here are some pictures from of the Genesis 912. Also a small video..... not the best videographer.... but next time we fly in the racing track i will have a good videographer.

Video Link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151258807048836&set=vb.678873835&type=2&theater

The 912UL (80 HP) has an abundance of power!!!! at 4100 RPM it cruizes at 65 Mph (110 Kmph) at 4800 RPM the cruize is 82 Mph (135 Kph). I did not have a long area to test the max speed but i have seen 105 Mph (175 kph) in the straight of the racing track (800m (2500') long). I was not allowed to fly outside of the track area so... the top speed will be tested another time.

Take off is at 40 mph and 250 RRPM and it climbs out at 50 Mph and 1300 fpm.

I have flown the track course 10m high (33') and i was impressed with the power that was available to go around sharp 180 turns and the chicanes!!!!

most were at 90 degree bank and i could "feel" 2 - 2.5G. As soon as i was out the turn the gyro was accelerating without hesitation.

Next time i may challenge a race driver and see who is faster in the track :) !!

The frame was slightly modified for the 912. The frame flies few degrees nose high and the engine mount and keel king (bend) are with different andles (easily modified from the stock frame). The Reason for that is because of the weight of the 912 and the fact that we can not turn its gearbox down... this leads to the engine having the CofG below its prop compared to the 582 that has the CofG higher than it prop axis. These mods were calculated before hand so we could have the same thrust line and aerodynamic torque compensation.

The Test showed that we were spot on. The handling is the same as with the 582. The torque compensation is good but not as good compared to the 582.

Sudden power loss from full power (or vise versa) has the frame yawing about 3 degrees and then recovers. That is nothing as i can accelerate to full and idle with hands and legs off the controls and the gyro flies straight..... i can just see the nose moving VERY slightly to compensate. With the 582 the nose does not move at all. But as i said...... that is a comparison to the 582.. and the yaw reaction is nothing compared to other gyroplanes... you do not need to compensate with ruder or stick, the frame takes a new attitude (bank) of couple of degrees and flies straight.

Now.... My kind of flying showed that Giorgos was right!!!!!! The lighter the better!!!!

Personally i prefer the 582 as the lighter weigh gives vary crisp response and the inertia in tight maneuvers is less, thus allowing me to yank and bank much faster. I can feel the extra 27Kg slowing my maneuvering down.
On the other hand the 912 retains 95% of the maneuverability of the 582, but its economy and extra weight makes it a better cruising gyroplane. the pilot is comfortable in cruise speeds of up to 80 Mph......you will need a full face helmet for higher speeds.

My wish now is for an 80 - 90 Hp engine at the eight and reliability of the 582....... or Lighter :).

Attachments

• DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0109.jpg
    DSC_0109.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
some more pictures. Also notice the electric trim actuator.

Attachments

• DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0129.jpg
    DSC_0129.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0115.jpg
    DSC_0115.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 5
and finally some more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 2
Nicolas,
Great machine !!! Nice pictures!

Taking the opportunity, let me ask a question:
* How advanced are You in the development of G2sa and Exodus models ?

Mirek,
The modeling has been done as well as the plugs. Next step is the molds.

You know what we are working on now.... by end of February i should be done with the current project (spending so much time) and on March i will start on the Exodus again.

Thanks for the update, Nicolas. I appreciate it.

Do you notice better ground handling with the "trailing link" nose gear on this ship, as compared to the standard nose gear?

That's one thing that I have wondered about, but since I have not done any taxi testing yet, I can't say if there is any need for a trailing link design.

Ship looks great..... I'm sure you have another very happy customer.

And what is the status of G2sa ? Any plans to use Rotax 912 instead of Hirth engine?

Mirek, Yes, one is kit is being prepared for shipment now with the Rotax 912

Thanks for the update, Nicolas. I appreciate it.

Do you notice better ground handling with the "trailing link" nose gear on this ship, as compared to the standard nose gear?

That's one thing that I have wondered about, but since I have not done any taxi testing yet, I can't say if there is any need for a trailing link design.

Ship looks great..... I'm sure you have another very happy customer.

Gary, on tarmac runways the trailing is slightly more positively stable. (wands to go straight). On field strips i prefer the standard nose as it is better to steer. The trailing nose sometimes refuses to turn.

Also consider that the amount of hi speed taxiing we are doing is very limited. Anyway both nose wheels are design to have both static And dynamic stability so they will perform the same. There is very lite differences in the feel positive stability.

The reason the ready to fly uses trailing nose is that it can be made stronger to support the certification requirements weight. (needs to support 450 Kg (990lbs))

Thanks for the information, Nicolas. I appreciate it.

I hope to be taxi testing mine in January, after the holidays.

Gary i hope you do!!! :) we need to see Aviomania Gyros in the US skies :)

Nicolas, congratulations. I know you have been working on this for a while and delighted that the results have been so good.

As we all know, it is all about compromise. I feel that greater endurance is a good price to pay for a little manoeuvrability (it seems in this case.) But of course engine cost is high.

I can only re-iterate Ernies reported feelings about the Viking, where certification allows it, when trying to reduce cost.

One does however have to concede weight, I believe it is slightly heavier, than 912 and reliability is of course not yet proven to the same degree. These compromises traded against the higher cost of the 912.

I guess we still wait for a lighter more fuel efficient engine in the 80HP category as the 582 is rather thirsty.

Last edited:
What Prop are you useing? And do I understand you right ,you have the 2 seater ready for sale ( in the USA?)
I realy like your Gyro's.

Nicolas, congratulations. I know you have been working on this for a while and delighted that the results have been so good.

As we all know, it is all about compromise. I feel that greater endurance is a good price to pay for a little manoeuvrability (it seems in this case.) But of course engine cost is high.

I can only re-iterate Ernies reported feelings about the Viking, where certification allows it, when trying to reduce cost.

One does however have to concede weight, I believe it is slightly heavier, than 912 and reliability is of course not yet proven to the same degree. These compromises traded against the higher cost of the 912.

I guess we still wait for a lighter more fuel efficient engine in the 80HP category as the 582 is rather thirsty.

Leigh the Gyroplane was ready long before. The owner had a health problem so he wanted me to wait. he wanted to be there for the first flight.

yes we need another engine... comparable to the 912.... or we want 912 in a lower price :). once other engines prove themselves we will be trying them out.

What Prop are you useing? And do I understand you right ,you have the 2 seater ready for sale ( in the USA?)
I realy like your Gyro's.

is a Ukrainian Hot prop... very light and very efficient.... not as touch as warpdrives thought.. but they do come with embedded stainless steel leading protection... not tape but formed metal sheet.

yes the 2 seat was always available as a quick built kit.

Wondered about that, Giorgos had mentioned the health problem but glad that now over, very familiar with that.

What would be the range of this machine?

2-2.5 hours with old tank or 3 - 3.5 hours with latest fuel tank at a cruise of 65-70 mph
(needs to be verified)

Thanks Nicolas. Was talking down in Kenya with Will Garton-Jones yesterday about this machine, I know he has been in contact with you, and spoke to him about the Genesis some time ago.

Some of us the military gyro club in England have been talking with the new CAA inspector about how the single seat future in the UK may go, with regard to certification and the licensing requirements for flying them.

The cost of the new factory builds sets them apart, and it is felt that there is a market for a longer range/more capable single seat kit build that can actually go places as well as race around the local cow pasture.

That would certainly be a requirement down here in Kenya, and there is interest.

Most excellent News buddy!!!!
I've had folks ask me about the difference.

I'll email them a link to this page.

Thanks of sharing!!!!!

Good to see you around John. Didn't make it over to California this year, but hoping for 2013.

Just read your news all of which sounds great, good luck with the new venture, the two seat Genesis/Lycoming, and the completion of your own Genesis.

You certainly do rush around at full throttle.

Last edited: