We need CFI input for PRA newest attempt at low cost group insurance

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I made appointments with the insurance carries that were attending Airventure to meet with them to discuss how we can lower the cost of our members insurance.
There common complaint was that regardless of the hours logged they do not know the pilot actual skill level and rate them all in the high risk category.

I've sold them on the idea of having a yearly evaluation check ride with a PRA instructor scoring each pilot from 1 to 10 on a per-approved maneuver check ride test.
Once I have developed the list of maneuvers and the from they will send it to the underwriters and see what discounts they will provide if any.

They also said if PRA will develop certificates for Wings training programs like Tim O'Coners presentation they will give discount for advance training. We are talking about adding a commercial pilot training certificate where the pilots is at least exposed to each commercial pilot maneuver but that will be after this 1st test/certificate.

Here is where you CFI can help PRA needs to develop the form to score them by each maneuver flown.

All I could think of was using the check ride test and training syllabus.

Here is what I have so far. What should we add and what should we remove.

===Start test===
61.87 Solo requirements for student pilots
(a) General. A student pilot may not operate an aircraft in solo flight unless that student has met the requirements of this section. The term “solo flight” as used in this subpart means that flight time during which a student pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft or that flight time during which the student performs the duties of a pilot in command of a gas balloon or an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember.
(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:
(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of—
(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.
(2) The student's authorized instructor must—
(i) Administer the test; and
(ii) At the conclusion of the test, review all incorrect answers with the student before authorizing that student to conduct a solo flight.
(c) Pre-solo flight training. Prior to conducting a solo flight, a student pilot must have:
(1) Received and logged flight training for the maneuvers and procedures of this section that are appropriate to the make and model of aircraft to be flown; and
(2) Demonstrated satisfactory proficiency and safety, as judged by an authorized instructor, on the maneuvers and procedures required by this section in the make and model of aircraft or similar make and model of aircraft to be flown.

(g) Maneuvers and procedures for pre-solo flight training in a gyroplane. A student pilot who is receiving training for a gyroplane rating or privileges must receive and log flight training for the following maneuvers and procedures:
(1) Proper flight preparation procedures, including preflight planning and preparation, powerplant operation, and aircraft systems;
(2) Taxiing or surface operations, including runups;
(3) Takeoffs and landings, including normal and crosswind;
(4) Straight and level flight, and turns in both directions;
(5) Climbs and climbing turns;
(6) Airport traffic patterns, including entry and departure procedures;
(7) Collision avoidance, windshear avoidance, and wake turbulence avoidance;
(8) Descents with and without turns;
(9) Flight at various airspeeds;
(10) Emergency procedures and equipment malfunctions;
(11) Ground reference maneuvers;
(12) Approaches to the landing area;
(13) High rates of descent with power on and with simulated power off, and recovery from those flight configurations;
(14) Go-arounds; and
(15) Simulated emergency procedures, including simulated power-off landings and simulated power failure during departures.

Last edited:
No need to reinvent the wheel.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

I have been pondering the challenge John.

The solo requirements seem a little basic.

The FAA has some pretty good metrics for flying gyroplanes.

It is my observation that if someone can handle the practical test standards that they can fly well enough to be less likely to have a claim.

The basic standards are plus or minus 100 feet, plus or minus 10kts, plus or minus 10 degrees of heading. These may not appear challenging; with the distraction of ground reference maneuvers many have trouble staying inside them.

With a little organization the flying part of the practical test takes around an hour.

The PRA could print up a standard form and the CFIs could administer the test.

A written knowledge test might add to the metric.

If done correctly with an hour of ground added it could also count as a flight review.

I have seen pilots halve the standards and I suspect they are even less likely to have a claim.

Many gyroplane accidents are on takeoff so this might be a special emphasis area along with recognition of slow airspeed/ high rate of descent and recovery.

Thank you Vance for your input. I know I'm not qualified to create the form/test and need one or more of you CFI's to help. If I cannot get any help then I of course will try to create something on my own so we can at least move forward with reducing the cost of insurance for instructors and all the rest of us.
Please do not make me have to do this alone. It will not be near as good without CFI input.

Thank you Vance for your input. I know I'm not qualified to create the form/test and need one or more of you CFI's to help. If I cannot get any help then I of course will try to create something on my own so we can at least move forward with reducing the cost of insurance for instructors and all the rest of us.
Please do not make me have to do this alone. It will not be near as good without CFI input.

I am sorry you missed my point John.

In my opinion there is no reason to invent something.

I feel the flying part of the practical test would work well. It is available on line for free:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-15a.pdf

Or the Sport Pilot practical test standards:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-29.pdf

The knowledge test works pretty well too if some of the silliness is removed and the length reduced.

We don’t seem to work well together John so I don’t want to get in deeper.

I am sorry you missed my point John.

In my opinion there is no reason to invent something.

I feel the flying part of the practical test would work well. It is available on line for free:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-15a.pdf

Or the Sport Pilot practical test standards:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-29.pdf

The knowledge test works pretty well too if some of the silliness is removed and the length reduced.

We don’t seem to work well together John so I don’t want to get in deeper.
Thank you Vance now I understand with the actual link as an example.
You are right many of our writings back and forth I come out more confused than answers at least for me.
I would be glad to turn it over to you 100% and just present it to the BOD when you finish so we do not have to even communicate in writing and stop all of my confusion and annoying you with questions and posts.

Thank you Vance now I understand with the actual link as an example.
You are right many of our writings back and forth I come out more confused than answers at least for me.
I would be glad to turn it over to you 100% and just present it to the BOD when you finish so we do not have to even communicate in writing and stop all of my confusion and annoying you with questions and posts.

No thank you John.

Brent or Tim would do a better job than I would.

Just to through something out there. Cap Form 5 check ride attached.

Much of it not applicable, but could be a start.

Attachments

• F005_307D79BCBF52D.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 1
Just to through something out there. Cap Form 5 check ride attached.

Much of it not applicable, but could be a start.
Thank you Jeff!!!!!!

Just curious how do you intend to do a annual check ride with single place gyros and how many cfi's would do this check off.
Mike

Just curious how do you intend to do a annual check ride with single place gyros and how many cfi's would do this check off.
Mike
Wanting insurance was not one of the things members asked for with the old school single place rotorcraft. Do not remember any single place signing up for the last try for reducing group insurance. They are all welcome to get in on the deal but they would have to do a check ride in the instructors gyroplane.

Have a look at how the Robinson factory Safety course is structured. Add structured classes in ADM and Single Pilot Resource Management.

A lot of incidents/accidents seem to be caused by poor decision making, including making the decision to fly while not proficient for the prevailing weather conditions.

A pass/fail course to change or modify the hazardous attitudes a pilot might have and where he or she can learn an put into use proper decision making skills and resource management to reduce accidents might work better than looking at piloting proficiency alone

Mike

Same way that a UK single seat GFT was done, and is now being reinstated on the new Sect 44 coming out very shortly. Observed single seat flight by an instructor/examiner with two way radio contact, with the examiner asking for various manoeuvres to be demonstrated to the required level of proficiency.

Thank you Paddy. I'll look into that.
@Leigh
That would work thank you for responding.