VW mount for KBM KB-2

Screw-In

Let me screw-in
I just wonder....How much does it cost? :confused:
Let me screw-out
pwongkit

R U making fun of me?:boink: LOL

Don't know what the cost is yet, so.....Re-read post #5.

Screw-Out

I talked to the machinist, today I will give him the parts tomorrow so he can look at them and give me a price. Remember, the more we get made the cheaper it will be for everyone, because of the set up costs--TIME.
He makes all the parts for these guys, if you want to look at some cool car parts.

https://www.gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php

If you think that you might ever want to use a VW engine on a gyro, now is your chance.

screw-In

The reason for the all the hoopla is....... When KBM shut the doors, what they didn't sell ended up in a dumpster. KBM had all of the set-up for tons of parts they sold. It's OVER.

We have a machinist NOW that will do all of the set-up and produce us some mounts. Once he is done, he is done.

Say in next month or next year, someone wants another mount. They will be stuck starting from scratch like we are doing now. However, because they waited, they will be stuck with the cost of everything.

I have, so far, 5 commitments.....To me the cost of set-up (at least) will be split between 5 of us rather than 1. Any other commitments will reduce that cost.

That's the differance between jumping in now, rather than waiting until later.

Like Scott said, he now has the parts and will give them to the machinist and he will give us the price for 5. Any others willing to commit will of course reduce that price. If anyone backs out, the price will of increase.

Are we having fun yet?

Screw-out

Why use a VW these days? A Rotax 503 will be lighter and better thrust and probably less cost if you buy a used one. Gyrobee engine mount seems easy to make and working good for my 503 on Gyronimo

Screw-In

Why use a VW these days? A Rotax 503 will be lighter and better thrust and probably less cost if you buy a used one. Gyrobee engine mount seems easy to make and working good for my 503 on Gyronimo

Stirring the pot are we???????

The question isn't why, the question is "If" anyone wants a VW mount.

But hey, I'm in a good mood.....Let's have some fun. Why would anyone want to own a heavy, low RPM Volks Wagon Motor? I dunno. I do. I never had a lick of trouble out of the Great Planes VW, no hick-ups or nothing. I ran the "Dog Piss" out of that 1835cc and I loved it!

A little hard to hand prop when hot, but other than that, no worries. Heavy, yes 160lbs if I remember correctly, the 1835cc was a little underpowered, but not much. Hell you flew it. I think the 2180cc will do real good. Cost, about the same as a 503 if not cheaper used and the VW is easy to maintain and replace parts. Did I mention it was a 4 stroke motor?

Rotax 503 is lighter, cost about the same, more thrust, a higher thrust to wieght ratio. Better engine for a light gyro? I dunno.

But again, which engine is better, is not the question.

Do you wanna mount?

Screw-Out

Last edited:
For me I just want the mount in case I go with a vw. Kicked myself for not buying the mounts, drawings from Ken Brock when it was available. As for thrust I think the vw with a redrive and 6 ft prop it will equal or beat a 503 and probably a 582.

Just for the record Danny Whitten has been flying a 2341 CC VW for over 12 years with absolutely no problems! None! Zilch!

He will tell you that is was an expensive engine to put together the way he did it; something like $5K at the time of build. But the fact is it has performed well for him and has lasted.

Does anyone know of a redrive that mounts below the VW engine instead of above? Maybe on the flywheel end? Thanks,Steve

Screw-In

Does anyone know of a redrive that mounts below the VW engine instead of above? Maybe on the flywheel end? Thanks,Steve

Sorry Steve. Culver is the only ones that I know of making redrives for VWs and they are on top. I don't know of anyone else.

Screw-Out

Any projected cost info or perhaps an order of magnitude for the mounts or do we just have to wait till they are built?

I should have a cost estimate first of next week, The machinist has to look it over, A jig will have to be built etc. You will know as soon as I find something out.

John, When you mounted the VW 1835, was it a soft mount or engine bolted directly to the mount? Seems like I remember reading Bensen mounting it hard to the engine mount because the VW ran so much smoother than the MAC. Steve

Screw-In

John, When you mounted the VW 1835, was it a soft mount or engine bolted directly to the mount? Seems like I remember reading Bensen mounting it hard to the engine mount because the VW ran so much smoother than the MAC. Steve

I'm not sure I understand the question. Unfortunately, post five is the best picture I have of how it was mounted.

Screw-Out

I have a price quote, so far it looks like it will be $180, plus shipping.
Please E mail or PM me.
[email protected]

I need a firm number, John has given me the names of the people that told him they wanted one. Once they are done they are done.
since John just got it started, I am having the machinist make the parts I will handle it on this end, please let me know, and I will let you know where to send the check, as soon as I get the number I can give a date that they should be done. Cheers! :)

Screw-In

Thanks Scott! You know I'm still in for one. I already have your info.

Screw-Out

OK I am going to give the machinist the final number next week before he begins work on them, PLEASE let me know something this weekend, so far I have orders confirmed for 6,
Now is the time to get while the getting is good, if you ever thought about building an "old school" gyro, better get one. If you don't use it you can find another use for it like Jake did (on Junk-n-stuff)
Later!