Video editing

Michael Ray

The videos keep coming as everyone seems to appreciate one of their flight.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Stou3SdX_ih3Y5Ixp1JXw

The problem that I have is what to do with the engine audio? I'm using Power Director 12 and it has the ability to reduce the sound level but have to do it for each segment of the edited video and is very time consuming. I could just separate the audio and no engine noise but maybe it adds to the effect? The first ones had narrative but I think the subtitles are better? maybe just leave in the full engine noise and let someone turn down their audio? Anyway- I'm having fun flying and spending many hours editing video as I have GoPros forward and rear which makes for as much as 2 hours of recording to turn into 5 to 8 minutes of finished video. Then, it takes up to 4 hours to upload to YouTube!!

Mike

The GoPros are fun aren't they, Mike?
I think it really is a matter of personal preference. I've found that I like to have the engine sound in there with the music, maybe just a bit lower than the music. I think it adds to the experience. I've never tried doing a narrative behind the video. I have done a couple with captions and I tend to like captions better on the videos I've seen. My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8y1nuN0g_L01bOPTrY4fMw if you'd like to see some examples.

Mike .... I watched 2 of your videos and like them just the way they are with the actual sounds of the flight.

I am kinda weird , I enjoy music and like to concentrate on it alone .... but when I watch gyroplane videos I find the music distracting , but that's just me.

Some videos do have a combination of both that balance nicely , but I will take engines, props , wind , and blade sounds any day.

Engine sound

Engine sound

Arnie- about your comments. I think that you are right. Most people that ever look at these videos are gyro enthusiast and they like the engine sound. The rest can just turn down or mute the audio. This will save me a lot of editing time. If I ever do a "documentary" for the general public, I'll go all the way- narrative, music, subtitles etc.

Mike